Well we have bit the bullet

Submitted: Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 05:55
ThreadID: 7046 Views:1629 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Well after a lot of searching and looking, we have decided to order a new Patrol 3 litre auto diesel with the L pack.

Now I know that a lot of you will say, maybe not that practable, but mother does love her leather, and it will never do real 4WD driving anyway.

Looked at lots of cruisers and prado's, but anything we liked with real low milage, was bringing more than the STL will cost, so we have gone for new.

Does anyone have experience with running this engine on fully synthetic oil. Nissan will not comment except to say, want you to use our oil, which is only a low grade dino oil.

Do you guys have any thoughts.

Car will be used to tow 1600 KG Poptop.

Regards

Col
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Shawn - Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 08:14

Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 08:14
$6,000 for leather seats..... are they really worth that???
Only say that cause you can get all the other extras thrown in on the ST if you shop around and play the dealers off against each other.
CheersShe just didn't quite make it home
AnswerID: 30185

Follow Up By: Member - Shawn - Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 08:14

Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 08:14
sorry, except for rear airconShe just didn't quite make it home
FollowupID: 21223

Follow Up By: Member - Bonz (Vic) - Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 18:15

Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 18:15
I guess it depends on what the owner is willing to do on the leather seatsSo many places to go!
So much work to do :0(
FollowupID: 21263

Reply By: Martin - Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 08:20

Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 08:20
Col' don't worry about the leather - it's highly practical - just check out the most expensive boots, saddles, pannier bags etc etc ..... no problems with leather! Only reason people choose others is cost and if you've got it at the right price you're laughing. Can't help about the oil but I've heard good and bad about the vehicle. Do a bit of a search and see what you need to watch out for. For warranty reasons I'd use the oil that the dealer recommends, unless he's prepared to put in the other - that is don't do it yourself.
AnswerID: 30187

Reply By: David N. - Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 10:25

Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 10:25
Getting back to your question.
Synthetic oil is quite simply FAR superior in every single respect... except price.
whether or not it's cost effective is a much harder question to answer. Perhaps by spending a few dollars on oil analysis you may be able to work that one out eventually- I'm going through the exercise on a different Patrol diesel. Diesels are a bit more tricky with regards longer oil service intervals due to considerations mainly with soot- which can be partly solved by good bypass filtering.
Anyone who tells you synthetics are not good is simply concerned about selling you less oil in the long term, and getting less from you in servicing costs- also long term. Also during warranty you'd be risking warranty trouble if you didn't change oil as often as recommended and then tried to make a claim......
Suggest you look at http://www.filtertechnology.com.au/
Cheers
AnswerID: 30196

Follow Up By: simon - Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 14:32

Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 14:32
just a word of caution on filtertechnology oil filters prob ok but their fuel filters turn to mush if they come in contact with water and particals of the filter will enter your engine in a worst case senario stick with at least nissan ones and use the filtertech ones as a prefilter if you are so inclinded
FollowupID: 21254

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 15:32

Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 15:32
Herkman, great choice(but i'm biased). As to synthetic oil there is no need as the new high teck diesel oils are excellent but do changes at recomended or less k,s due to build up of soot in oil from diesels , check couple off posts back.Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 30209

Reply By: diamond (bendigo) - Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 20:36

Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 20:36
gday herkman.
well done on your choice im sure you will be more than happy with it and who knows you might start to do a bit more off road.personaly i would just use a good quality engine oil most oil companys will cover engine failure if its proved there oil was at fault.—~‘¬‘¥•s’B
AnswerID: 30227

Reply By: herkman - Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 09:05

Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 09:05
Thanks for all the input, much appreciated.

We understand the the STL is $6000 more than the DX, but we like the leather and alloy wheels and by no means least, the air outlets in rear. Have two large dogs who do feel the heat.

Whilst Toyota has more refinements, it is not possable for us to spend that sort of money.

Only thing we will miss, is the cruise control, anyone have experience with the after market fit, I have heard that they do not work until one is at 80 kph.

Regards

Col Tigwell
AnswerID: 30248

Reply By: herkman - Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 09:06

Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 09:06
Thanks for all the input, much appreciated.

We understand the the STL is $6000 more than the DX, but we like the leather and alloy wheels and by no means least, the air outlets in rear. Have two large dogs who do feel the heat.

Whilst Toyota has more refinements, it is not possable for us to spend that sort of money.

Only thing we will miss, is the cruise control, anyone have experience with the after market fit, I have heard that they do not work until one is at 80 kph.

Regards

Col Tigwell
AnswerID: 30249

Sponsored Links