Pressure Vent Photo's

Submitted: Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 16:23
ThreadID: 70557 Views:4106 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I need some photo's of pressure vents on canopies, as I need them to show how mine has been put on backwards.
Thanks for your help.

Wato35
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 17:11

Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 17:11
Hi there Wato 35, I doubt that a photo of someone else's installation would be accepted as "proof" of correct or incorrect installation.
Are you able to contact the manufacturer or distributer & get advise from them as to the correct orientation of the scoop? Alternatively,simply go back to the people who installed it and ask to see the installation specification. Cheers & good luck.
AnswerID: 373963

Reply By: Tenpounder (SA) - Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 18:09

Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 18:09
Hi. We have a Coromal caravan, and, like most Coromals, it has a pressure vent. Because it is a pressure vent, it faces forward, so that air pressure forces air in as you travel forward.
If, like a lot of commercial vans and canopies, the vent faces backwards, then it is an exhaust vent, and works by creating suction.
So the question is do you want a pressure vent or an exhaust vent. And, if you want a pressure vent, turn yours around.
Did they actually promise you a pressure vent? or just a vent? if the former, then its their job to rectify. But if they just promised a vent, then either is legitimate.
Vans/canopies with exhaust vents are supposed to suck out hot air. Vans/canopies with pressure vents are supposed to keep dust from creeping in around doors etc.
But neither is 'right' or 'wrong'.
AnswerID: 373973

Reply By: Horacehighroller - Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 18:09

Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 18:09
Sometimes they ARE put on backwards to act as an extraction vent.

Likely to draw in dust and exhaust fumes so not an ideal solution, but backwards guarantees no water entry in a downpour.

Peter
AnswerID: 373974

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jul 11, 2009 at 08:22

Saturday, Jul 11, 2009 at 08:22
Hi Peter
The purpose of these vents is what they are made for, to face forward, draw air into to space area that they are attached and pressurize that cargo area. When the area is pressurized, the air then is forced out of the point where there is little sealing, the back tail gate, therefore forcing the dust from entering the back of the vehicle. It is very clear that Wato's unit is fitted wrong, that is why the back of his cabin space was covered in dust. I do not even know why he has asked for photos, as I answered his original post a couple down.

You only have to look at dual cabs that have vents fitted, and I have never seen one fitted facing towards the back. It sounds like Watos was a home made job, as a good number of years ago when I was a spare parts manager at the local GM dealer, we fitted dozens of these units to many four wheel drives, and the clear instructions given, make it very clear that the units must face the front, and not to be used at speeds over 100 kph.

The very same principal applies to driving on dirt roads with conventional vehicles. Set you fresh air intake to drawing fresh air into the vehicle cabin area, not recycling and you will see a very big difference with dust ingress inside the vehicle, working in the same principal, forcing air out through the door seals.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 641220

Reply By: Member - Ian F (WA) - Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 18:25

Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 18:25
Hi Wato,
Will this helpImage Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 373976

Follow Up By: Member - Ian F (WA) - Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 18:32

Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 18:32
When the weather looks bleak I roll the flap down and further more I get very little dust.
Ian
FollowupID: 641168

Sponsored Links