Tie down points for Engel in GU's

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 11:10
ThreadID: 7062 Views:3646 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I've just bought a 40lt engel.

I want to be able to secure it in the back, on the left side in front of the small barn door if possible.

Has anyone been able to do this with the existing strap points in the floor.

I haven't got draws set up in the back yet and don't want to drill holes ect in the floor for a pull out slide.

The existing tie down points in the floor are too close together and the fridge sits on top of them.

Any ideas??

cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bob - Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 11:38

Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 11:38
Andrew,

I use a strap going from the rear left child restraint anchor point around the front handle a couple of times and down to the left rear tie down point. Every thing stays in place OK. The only thing is I've removed the left rear seat.

Bob
AnswerID: 30252

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 12:24

Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 12:24
Thanks Bob

I'll be removing the seat as well.

I take it you mean that you use 2 straps....one for the front and one for the rear handles...or do you loop them some how and just use the one??

What do you actually use to tie it down?

cheers
FollowupID: 21306

Reply By: Stevo - Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 13:04

Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 13:04
Andrew, another way to mount your fridge in the position you mention is to mount the fridge on a piece of 16mm ply via the 4 screws that hold the rubber feet on the base of the fridge and use the existing captive nuts in the floor of the GU (5 in total) to mount the board. Very secure and no need for straps or spring loaded base. All srews and bolts obviously need to be 16mm longer than the existing ones.
AnswerID: 30255

Reply By: awill4x4 - Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 16:28

Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 16:28
I use an Engel transit base which the fridge is bolted to and then bolt the transit base to the floor on my GQ. The transit base has spring mounts to which the fridge is bolted. The fridge sways around a little on the springs but is protected from any sharp jolts if you bottom your suspension when you hit a washaway or bump too hard.
Regards Andrew.
AnswerID: 30265

Reply By: Member - Jack - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 19:59

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 19:59
I use a short length of chain and a couple of strong turnbuckles to secure my Engle behind the drivers seat. Usually I have the rear seats removed, and the chain is held by passing the seat bolts through the chain, and then connected to the turnbuckles. The turnbuckles are attached to the handles of the fridge. Works fine for me.
JackAustralia - If you don't love it, leave!!!
AnswerID: 30359

Sponsored Links