Bridgestone D691

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 21:25
ThreadID: 7070 Views:3224 Replies:7 FollowUps:19
This Thread has been Archived
Anybody have any advice on the Bridgestone D691 tyre? Thanks in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 22:18

Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 22:18
No comment on the 691’s but 693's are an excellent tyre. We tested a set of 693's on our Canning and west coast trip and can report that they are currently the number one tyre IMHO for our 80 series. Accepted that Bridgestone now advertise on ExplorOz and in return we accepted payment as a set of six 285/75R16 which we have used on our trip. We gave advertising value for the full value of the tyres we received (so not a bias opinion - In fact we have not yet spoken to Bridgestone since we returned). I have been very happy with these tyres. A lot more than the tyres we have used before, even though they may have had a lesser name and are not supposed to be the best.

For my money now I will stick with the Bridgestone’s. As the best other choices wear very badly IMO to the point that the BF type tyres only last 15K (3 sets tested) and the CO type tyres (2 sets tested) lasted about 20K per set. Thus the Bridgestone’s with 15K+ and no sign of wear and as good a handling in the conditions - excellent.

PS: I do not get anything from Bridgestone to write this. It is my current opinion on the matter until I can test and prove something better.
Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
AnswerID: 30287

Follow Up By: Member - Peter [SA] - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 12:08

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 12:08
Thanks David, had a set of D693 on my Hilux, can only agree with what you said. I got around 55K out of them.
Cheers Peter
FollowupID: 21346

Reply By: Hilly - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 07:45

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 07:45
I concur with the 693 AT's being a great tyre. Quiet on the road and reasonably self cleaning off road.

I really like the 265/75/16's which are made here in Oz. I'm currently running the 285/75/16's which are made in Japan and ride beautifully under a Patrol at 34 psi.

What tread ar the 691's? Are they a highway tyre?

Hilly
AnswerID: 30302

Follow Up By: Member - Peter [SA] - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 12:10

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 12:10
Apparently they are used by the mining companies, I think they are 10 ply, could be D661.
Cheers Peter
FollowupID: 21347

Reply By: diamond (bendigo) - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 09:00

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 09:00
gday all.
i dont want to start a tyre war.
we sell bridgestone at work and have allready sent 3 sets of 689 back for claims for bad wear all of gu patrol 18000ks was the worst and 25000ks were the best.when i say best thats out of the sets returned.the average life would be about 40000ks—~‘¬‘¥•s’B
AnswerID: 30305

Follow Up By: Member - Peter [SA] - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 12:19

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 12:19
possibly the GU is the problem!
FollowupID: 21349

Follow Up By: diamond (bendigo) - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 12:33

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 12:33
gday david.
could be the gu but then again we just replaced a set of cooper h/t after 110000ks on a gu. šqUC3<BuIL
FollowupID: 21354

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 12:53

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 12:53
G'day Diamind.

I have a GU. The 3.0TD.

You would know these come with the Bridgy 693. 265/70/16. Standard.

These have had a bad rap for wear, and I agree. I will get 30,000k max if I was to leave them on but am replacing them with Cooper 265/75 A/T's this week for my big trip in a few weeks.
From what I have seen, most people are replacing there Bridgy 265/70's with 265/75's Bridgy's and getting a much better run out of them. I think they are also L/T rated ??????not sure though.

I think they even come with a feww more mm's of tread.

Sound right to you or what?????

Either way, I don't know why someone would put a 693 on their 4x4 when the equivilent Cooper is around the same price. IMHO.

cheers
FollowupID: 21358

Follow Up By: Member - Peter [SA] - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 16:49

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 16:49
Andrew, If I could get Coopers for $160.00 I would probablt buy them too.
FollowupID: 21368

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 17:30

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 17:30
Peter

Prices must differ alot around the country.

When I went looking, the cheapest Bridgestone 693 in a 265/70 as standard on my car was $255 each

75's probably a bit cheaper but I got the coopers cheaper than $255 anyway.

Like I said, I have been put off the bridgestones by the terrible milage of the 70's. 75's may be alot better. I don't really know.

The way I looked at it was, if I pay around $200 per tyre (or whatever)for one make and get 30,000km's and $250 for another and get 70,000km's.....then it makes sense to pay the $250.
FollowupID: 21370

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 21:15

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 21:15
If anyone can get 70K out of a set of 4WD tyres I would be very very suprised - I read articles about 100+ Kms and I think it must be driven on a dyno or with kid gloves or something (maybe we have forgotten the reading when they were fitted) - I have never ever seen a set of tyres that has lasted anthing like 70K. As for warrantly - waste of money nothing is actually covered by these supposed warranties - I had two brand new less than 1000km's Coopers that went bang on our vehicle and guess what Oh fractures in the tread area that is not covered by warranty - bad luck, the others and the replacements then proceeded to wear out after 22K.

The only way to get serious milaege is to have at least 6 and be swapping everything around the vechile every 5-10K. Can anyone show me 70K+ on one set of 4 tyres - From any brand, where the vehicle has been used? I can show you Coopers, Pirelle, Toyo and BFGs at 15-35K that have had to be removed to ensure road worthness, on my own vehicles - driven by the same driver (ME). At this stage the new Bridgestone are at 18K and I still cannot see any major wear.

In any case tyres and vehicle setups are a very personal choice and as for this type is better than that - Are we all tyres experts that can gauge the difference between tyre X and tyre Y - I do not think so - I cannot really tell the performance difference, for the travelling types that we do over the years and numerious sets of tyres we have gone through (I am sure there are some out there will be but as for the rest) get what ever you want and drive to the conditions - enjoy the outback and hope the tyres and vehicle will not let you down (this is the best we can do after all).

Just think you can try a set of tyres for around $1000 and then try another set for $1000 - lets get real, I only have to fill the tank 4 times to spend $1000. Does it really matter in the scheme and cost of our pasttime. (Well the answer is yes but if you are serious you will go through a far number of tyres in your 4WD experience - if you always buy the same brand then you are the sucker to the advertising and hear say)

I have had a drink or two now and I am so over the tyre thing - except to the point that I am happy with what is on the vehicle at the moment - if they crap themselves in the next 10K I am sure you all will be the first/second to know. At least I have tried every brand and in most cases more than once across different vehicles.
FollowupID: 21408

Follow Up By: diamond (bendigo) - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 21:43

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 21:43
gday dave.
you say you have had one or two more like one or two to many.lol
as i said i work for a bridgestone store and to even imply there the best thing your way of the mark.just look through some of the threads on YOUR SITE and see what gets said about bridgestone tyres. i did the right thing when i bought tyres for the gq when i got it i put desert duelers on it.after 16000ks they were 1/3 worn mind you might not be same driving as you but i pulled them of put cooper s/t sold them at 35000ks 1/4 worn.as for waranty seen one cooper claim throgh work cusomer said it was just flat when i got up the thing had obviosly been driven on flat the tyre had been run with way to much pressure the centre tread had about 5 mm the outside like new but the cooper rep said lets keep this guy happy and give him 50%claim.with bridgestone any claim comes down to something the customer must have done wrong its not the tyres fault.i dont know who you tried to deal with on the claim but did you let exclusive tyres know.one customer all he does is travel every where he has cooper h/t tows a 20odd ft van on a 3ltr gq 11000ks.ill email you pics of high k tyres if you like and crappy deulers too. we sell b/stone coopers and about 15 other 4wd tyres.what would i recomend coopers why coz they do the miles.i think you might need a holiday mate chill out and dont read any thread that mentions tyres.
FollowupID: 21410

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 22:42

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 22:42
I don't sell tyres I just use them and I have used almost all of theml - I am not saying that the Bridgestones are the best far from it I am just saying that I am happy with the wear and performance that I am seeing from the most current set of tyres that I am running (693's). As for reading my site for others feedback - yes I read almost every forum thread that has ever been recorded and I must admit I thought it was a step backwards running the Bridgestones - I am happy to say that at this stage it was not a step backwards and I am very happy. Does this mean that I am wrong?

Have you run a set of new 693's on your vehicle latley? Do you believe what every other person tells you, or do you like to test things yourself? Don't send me pics of crappy duellers I have seen plently of flat/worn and busted one's already just as I have seen and taken pics of worn/flat crappy every other brand tyres on the market!

As for the Cooper saga - Yes it was Exclusive that I dealt with at the time and yes we came to an agreement on the tyres - mind you I was thinking that they did not want to upset us too much as the local guy Alice Springs) said no way (Steve said OK after some phone discussion). I was not unhappy with the service given by them just the fact that two 1000KM old tyres crapped themselfs the first day they hit the dirt then the set of 4 proceeded to the tip after 22K. Send set last about 25K. I don't mind if you or others think they are good (excellent). IMHO I have not personally had a good experience with these or many other TOP OF THE LINE tyres. Why should I tell stories that IMO are not true!

I do not speak from hear say I tell you MY OWN EXPERIENCE. If you will not allow me the decensey to tell my own story then I am very disappointed with the way the forum is running because I expect to see posts of real user experience and discussion. Not my mate told me and this guys has done. I did and am doing, this is my story.

As I also mentioned I am happy to see or hear from people that have have good experience with their tyres - I just have never seen any proof that the huge km's quoted are true.

I am happy with my current lot and I should be allowed to say so shouldn't I?
FollowupID: 21425

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 22:54

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 22:54
I have just re-read the thread - I did not know the Bridgestone's even came with any form of warranty? Do they? Can I also ask why you changed tyres at 1/3 wear and then at 1/4 wear? Just curious.

Diamond - I am not trying to have a go at you or anyone else - I am just repling to a thread that interested me currently because for the first time in a long long time I have been happy with a tyre selection. I will also be very very happy if they make it to 50K. Maybe they will not but the current indications are good and this will be double what I personally have had from the others!Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 21429

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 22:59

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 22:59
David

I have no doubt that what you post is the absolute truth as you know it to be and have experienced. No one would doubt your credibility as an experienced traveller.

I think (think, don't know) that there is a big difference between the 70 and 75 profile bridgestone. And as I said, I think the 75 is a L/T and a much more robust tyre compared with the 70 which is only passenger rated.

I base my comments on the experience I have witnessed with the 70's which IMHO isn't good. I chose to try the Coopers based on what others have posted on this forum and my own inquiries. They may turn out to be crap. I hope not. I will be bitterly dissappointed. I was suprised to hear that a couple of your coopers lasted only 1000k and the other only 22000k. If that's all I get, I'll be causing some waves with Mr Cooper.

As for the warranty....it wasn't and issue in my decision. I live in the country and don't get it anyway

Keep the vaulable info com'n

cheers Dave
Andrew.
FollowupID: 21434

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 23:23

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 23:23
Andrew,

I too have heard of the Aussie made vs Jap made tyres and poor wear of the 70's. I hope your Coopers experience is excellent as many others have had good experience with them (they are not worse than anything else - all tyres are poor IMHO).

Yes, I also was suprised at the poor wear (less than 1 year) so went for another set and 1 year later 25K was the result. It was at least consistant. We thought and enquired with Exclusive about an update to the STT however they would not come to the party so we went elsewhere and have given the Bridgestone a go. Hope you enjoy your trip and the outback as much as we do, after all that is what it is all about!Regards Michelle,
Spread the word - ExplorOz.com
FollowupID: 21437

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 23:54

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 23:54
If you were looking at upgrading to the STT's, then I take to the ones you were not impressed with were the ST's.

That concerns me because I'm getting the A/T's and from I have read, the ST's are meant to be better than the A/T's

Anyway, after two bites at the cherry and not getting any satisfaction out of Exlusive, I too would would be looking elswhere. I agree that that is a very poor performance by both the tyre and supplier.

all the best.
FollowupID: 21438

Follow Up By: diamond (bendigo) - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 14:18

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 14:18
gday david.
all tyres come with some form of waranty on wear they just dont tell every one.not sure how they work it but they rebate us a certain abount and we reimberse the customer the difference when we get rebated.
i sold the duelers when they were 1/3 worn because i never keep tyres all there life so cheaper to get new ones.sold duelers for $120 each put on cooper s/t kept them for 35000ks and sold them for $150 each now running cooper h/t i cant coment on the wear on theese yet on my gq they have only done 5000ks and nipples just worn off.i went from s/t to h/t because i got some good second hand muddys (free of charge)that i just bolt on when we go away.there a little higher as well about 32"šqUC3<BuIL
FollowupID: 21482

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 15:53

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 15:53
Interesting - I have not heard of this before. I wonder why when I presented BFG's at 15K with the steel belts breaking through did I not get something. All I was told is that they have worn out what would you like to buy this time. Same as with the Coopers. Ah the joys of tyres and tyre companies.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 21489

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 12:03

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 12:03
Carnt remember the number but we have Desert Duellers fitted to our 4 Runner and have just compleated 18000kms around oz,I reakon about 12000kms on gravel/dirt roads and they preformed excellent(not one puncture) .They did recieve alot of small cuts and nicks going across the Burke Dev. Road but nothing that has damaged them to badly.I'll stick with them for sure.
AnswerID: 30319

Follow Up By: Brett - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 21:50

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 21:50
I too have used the 10R15 Desert Duellers on my 89 troopy since new and have got between 70000 and 90000km out of each set of Japanese made tyres. Last year I replaced the set in Derby with Aussie made ones and they are almost up for replacement after 30000km. I spoke to a Bridgestone Technician at Sydney HQ and was told that the aussie made tyres are only produced as a fill in untill the next shipment of tyre arrives from Japan and that due to the small production run the consistent quality isn't there.
Overall the Desert Dueller has been a good tyre.
FollowupID: 21413

Reply By: sean - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 20:23

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 20:23
There are 2 variants to the 693 being the passenger car construction that comes standard with new patrols and the light truck version. There is a big difference between the two.

The 693 Light truck is a very good tyre.

Sean
AnswerID: 30369

Reply By: Phil G - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 22:14

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 22:14
Lets get back to the original thread. Peter corrected himself, as he was asking about the Bridgestone D661. Peter, some people at the club use these - 10 ply 235/85R16s. While they're a stong tyre and rarely puncture, one friend is a little disappointed as they have chipped badly on outback SA roads. Not as bad as the BFG ATKO or the Cooper ST. Nevertheless, seem a reasonable tyre.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 30387

Follow Up By: Member - Peter [SA] - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 10:48

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 10:48
Thanks Phil, I am glad someone could answer my original question.
Cheers Peter
FollowupID: 21472

Reply By: yarda - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 17:16

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 17:16
Hi David, I have a set of 245/70/16 bridgestone tyres on my 98 jackaroo, i think they are the 691? they were the latest A/T released at the time, there has since been a more aggressive tread version released. These tyres were made in Japan and my local Bridgestone dealer advised me to wait on these rather than get the aussie made version. All i can say is WOW - they handle great on the road dry and wet, are spot on on the loose gravel roads around my property, and i've had excellent grip off road in the mud etc.running at around 22-24 psi. A friend of mine just fitted them to his jack as well and came back grinning after a trip driving in the snow. When i got my jack it had the original tyres on it which were shot at 80k and i now have 120k on the new rubber and dont treat it well at times but the tread isn't even 1/3 worn yet. I was told that these tyres were developed for the prados and jacks but have also seen a lot of them fitted to pathfinders recently. I am certainly happy with my experience with Japanese made Bridgestones. Brad.
AnswerID: 30592

Follow Up By: shane - Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 12:44

Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 12:44
I have 265/70/16 on my jack and they are a great size (cooper HT's). They fill the gaurds nicely.
FollowupID: 23210

Sponsored Links