GPS from O.S.

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 08:58
ThreadID: 7077 Views:2332 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Gidday
I'm looking at a GPS purchase and am considering getting one from the States or somewhere else O.S. if it is worth it in $ terms. I bought a depth sounder for my boat a couple of years ago from the states and when I got it I found that it only read in feet not in metres. Now that's OK but ........
Are there any issues like that with GPS units bought overseas?
I can't find anything searching on this site about that issue.
TA
Oskar
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Luke - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 12:09

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 12:09
Hi Oskar,

Specifically with the Magellan Meridian series of GPS's, you stand to save a significant amount of money by importing from USA.

The base level Meridian goes for around $699 AUD here, and I bought mine brand new, shipped to my doorstep using insured express shipping for $280 AUD total. It's a great GPS, which supports internal basemaps and basemaps installed on your optional SD card, street/track level maps available on CD plus all the other features you'd expect from a fully functional mapping GPSR.

That's a great saving, but you need to be aware of the issues.

1: Magellan may not warrant a US import, as it hasn't been sold through the proper Magellan authorised distributor channels here in Australia.

2: The US import GPS will come with an internal US basemap instead of an Australian basemap. The only (LEGAL) way to install an Australian basemap would be to pay Magellan for an upgrade to an internal Aussie basemap, or buy the WorldWide Basemap CD. The WW Basemap CD will give you much better detail than the inbuilt basemap anyway, so it may be something you'll purchase regardless, in which case, having the US internal basemap is irrelevant. Street level maps will work the same regardless of the basemap you install, so this isn't much of an issue. The only difference is when you zoom out, when the unit converts to the basemap for a birds eye view of the area if you don't have the Australian internal basemap, or an Australian basemap from the WW Basemap CD, you will not see any maps while zoomed out - only major cities.

They are the major issues to consider with a US import. For more detailed information about the Magellan Meridian GPS you can visit the Magellan Meridian Yahoo group at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Magellan_Meridian/

Personally I am very happy with my US import, and for me it represents excellent value.

Cheers,

Luke.

AnswerID: 30320

Follow Up By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 09:01

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 09:01
I have already run into the warranty/parts issue with a previous import purchase.
When I bought my depth sounder the Aust. Customs said that navigation equipment attracts a fairly low rate of duty about (25% or so) but they won't bother collecting if the duty due is less than $50. How did this affect your purchase?
The duty on a $300 import would be about $75.
Oskar
FollowupID: 21456

Follow Up By: Luke - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 10:55

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 10:55
The duty thing really confuses me.

I've imported alot of archery equipment before, and sometimes it has been hit with duty, and other times (same or similar value items) it has slipped through.

I was lucky with my GPS - it got through without attracting any duty from customs at all, but I wouldn't guarantee that that would always be the case.
FollowupID: 21475

Follow Up By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 13:54

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 13:54
Luke
I know this thread is a bit old now but I still haven't bought my GPS.
What model did you get and who did you get it from. It looks like you got a good deal.
Did your unit come with cables etc.
How much is the OZ info and do I need it.
I want to do something in the next few days (I hope the exchange rate doesn't collapse just yet)
Cheers
OskarMrs Oskar on Big Red
FollowupID: 22051

Follow Up By: Luke - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 12:36

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 12:36
G'day Oskar,

Send me an email - I'll fill you in on all the details...

swbmav @ yahoo.com.au

Cheers,

Luke.
FollowupID: 22168

Reply By: Goran - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 15:20

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 15:20
Get Magellan Meridian gold or above,get the base map of the net and you are saving big dollars. You can also find Mapsend detailed street level maps for about 150.00 for sale around the place.
AnswerID: 30335

Reply By: UB.1 - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 19:39

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 19:39
Hello Oskar
Try a search on this site for "Garmin" as there has been quite a bit of discussion. The new Garmin models use standard memory technology rather than the proprietry memory of the older models. Just check which is used.

I have dealt with both of the following firms and found them reliable, helpful and prompt.

www.getdigitalcameras.com

www.gpsgeek.com
AnswerID: 30353

Reply By: Member - Chris - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 19:48

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 19:48
Oskar,

I got a Garmin E-map from the US and yes, it does have the US base map in it. However, as I don't use it to track streets here, it works fine with OziExporer and the Natmap series. I also bought some accessories from both here and the US over the internet, after investigating the savings of course, and overall saved about $300 on the comparative cost of getting it all here.

http://www.mall24-7.com

is a good place to start

good luck Chris
<- 1996 Troopy, the best!
AnswerID: 30354

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 16:50

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 16:50
As stated before you will have warranty issue's with both magellan & garmin so sometimes the savings are'nt worth it . Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 30461

Follow Up By: Luke - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 01:23

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 01:23
You may have warranty issues...

But I bought my Meridian for $280 Australian dollars from the USA(brand new) instead of buying one here for $699

With that sort of saving I can literally afford to throw it out and buy a new one IF it breaks down - and still be $139 ahead on price!!! :-)

We're talking about a $419 price difference here - and that includes the cost of shipping the unit to my doorstep using express shipping (five days from USA) with insurance.

It's very hard in my book to say that sort of saving isn't worth it.
FollowupID: 21563

Reply By: Member - Des - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 14:31

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 14:31
See post 3794for details about Customs rules etc and a discussion about issues regarding Magellan.

Note that Magellan now have all maps of all of Australia on one CD.
AnswerID: 31231

Follow Up By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 20:41

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 20:41
Thank's mate.
That's about everything I need to know except for the reply from Magellan. I guess it didn't change anything anyway.
I bought a depth sounder (Humminbird) from the US a few years back and brought it in by surface mail. It came crushed to bits in a "box" (smashed). They sent me a new one straight away which was nice (express air mail). When I enquired with the Australian service agent in Brisbane about repairing the busted one they said there was a $200 or so service fee for units bought OS. The thing only cost me $180 landed.
Thanks for pointing me in right direction.
Cheers
Oskar
Mrs Oskar on Big Red
FollowupID: 22222

Sponsored Links