Jackaroo woes

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 13:36
ThreadID: 7083 Views:2878 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
My Dec. 98 3 litre TDI electronic injection Jack was purchased as demo model in May 99, now done 110,000 km. Difficult starting resulted in modified injector seals being installed under warranty at 70,000km. These have just been replaced again when the camshaft had to come out to adjust valves, a major job. It is occasionally still hard to start and requires bleeding to get it going, any ideas? A slight whine in overdrive since new was denied attention by Holden, they reckoned it wasn't bad enough, the local service assistant even suggested I should turn the radio up! I think it is now worse and I noticed in the Forum that someone suggested Royal Purple oil in the gearbox removed noise from his box, can someone tell me what is Royal Purple and where obtainable? One other query, the large oil filter has LIFETIME FILTER on it, does this refer to the filter or vehicle or perhaps me?? I assume the big filter is the main engine filter and the smaller one for the injection system, is this correct? Assistance would be much appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mulga Bill - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 16:29

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 16:29
Don't start me...but you have....If the seals and the valves are all fixed to spec, starting woes should be down to oil grade. 10W-40 for mild conditions (5w-40 or even 0-30 for extreme cold areas). Can only say mine is still running fine n dandy on 10W-40 Castrol magnatec and starts nicely. I had a 5th gear whine too, but it has now gone (like all these modern cars, give 5th an EASY LIFE. Any decent load should see you shoot back to 4th. My G box oil is 75-85 synthetic. The big filter is the main - the small one is the one that Isuzu says you can leave on forever (till donk rebuild - my mechanic says - "nope - change it"). I do the biggy every 5 and the small one every 10.
Also, re comment here the other day about filters being hard to get off....had the same issue on my renault this week.....I always lubricate the seal as it goes on, but when this one came off, the seal was as dry as a limeburner's boot. Extremely hard to move, even with the filter tool ! Oil must have all been squeezed out - I am now going to simply tweak filters - no more two handed forcing tight!Get me outa these suburbs !
AnswerID: 30338

Follow Up By: Jackaroo - Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 16:29

Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 16:29
Thanks Bill, Vehicle has been on 15w40 Delo (engine and gearbox) since new, really only does long runs like to Perth (700k) or bush treks, no stopstart running. We do tend to leave it in overdrive as the motor is so darned flexible but will try and cure my habit here, will change fiolters as you suggest. Cheers.
FollowupID: 21795

Reply By: Old Jack - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 20:54

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 20:54
Not sure what BS you have been told there are in fact two of them and it's belt drive the valve clearances are adjusted by changing the Shimms, it's not a quick job but if correctly done should only require "checking" every 40,000 klm. adjustment I would think finding another dealer or better still a competant NON holden workshop to do the work for you, the tappet adjustment accoding to the local workshop was no worse to do than on many other new cars, only the removal of the intercooler & plumbing took a little more time.

The Valve adjustment should have been done at 40,000k, 80,000k, 120,000k etc.
and the service time differance should have been only 3 hours according to holdens own service Dept. not sure what they have been up too.... have driven a early 1999 model with 370,000 klm on the clock, it goes as good as new and accoding to the owner had the same injector seal problem done under warranty, changed to the correct oil as per Isuzu (10w-30w) 300,000 klm ago and has been very happy with the vehical so far.

as other's have said use 0w-30w (cold areas) 5w-30w 0r 10w-30w to 10w-40w in warmer areas. these motors are built to such fine tolerances that these thiner oils are perfect for them anyway!

The correct oil for the gearbox is same synthetic oil used in the engine 10w-30w synthetic motor oil! altenatively use a heavy (70w-85w synthetic LSD/gearbox oil, castrol vmx?) the shifts on a cold morning will be stiffer with any heavy grade oil in the box. The 5th gear whine is because of the type of gear cut angle used, have as yet to hear of common 5th gear failure in jackaroo unlike some of the newer patrols(early gu). meanwhile if it's noisey go to your local motoring organization (racq, Nrma etc.) & get them to put the fear of god into the dealer about the gearbox noise if it's very noticable. so have had an insulation pack put around the gear shift to reduce the noise, you could have on the other hand a gearbox that requires attention, most of the Jackaroo's I've driven are very quiet at and around the open road speed limmit.

as for oil filters change large(main engine) along with the oil and small (injector system oil feed) every second oil change, if they havn't changed this filter as part of normal servicing the dealer must want to sell you a new motor.......something that being isuzu should last for many years!

as I see it now the biggest problem with these vehicals is that Isuzu didnt sell them through there own dealer network (light trucks)in Australia, instead they went to holden who's marketing & service has let a very good product down. long term should have no problem with parts as in the USA they sell them as the Trooper with a 10 year driveline warranty! holden is short changing us over hear!

Happy motoring

jack

AnswerID: 30378

Follow Up By: Jackaroo - Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 16:48

Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 16:48
Thanks Jack, I said 110,000k ,I should have said 130,000k vehicle has done. Two inlet valves were down to zero clearance at the 120,000 check. The camshaft,fuel injectors and associated plumbing has to be removed to change the shims so of course injector seals were renewed at that time, they looked a bit crappy too. My mechanic is a highly qualified mate and no BS, I gave up the Geraldton Holden agents at about 60,000 due to lack of satisfaction on my part, not to mention too expensive. Overdrive noise is not noticeable above about 90kmh, probably shouldn't go into it before then anyway, but it does seem a bit more obvious than it was. Any details of the insulation pack you mention would be appreciated. Cheers and thanks for your help.
FollowupID: 21798

Follow Up By: Old Jack - Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 10:52

Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 10:52
you should be fine going into overdrive on flat road from 80 klm/hr, there is a fair chance following discussion with a few people that the dealers may not always do valve clearances when doing the service(even though it's on the list), .
The dealers appear to be more intrested in flogging car than servicing them correctly.In all fairness ther are still some smaller dealers out there who's service departments do a good job & charge realistic prices.

I'm glade you have found a good mechanic that you trust. It's always handy! as for the sound insulation pack the dealers have it listed in the spares department. As i said gearbox failure in these trucks are rare, have driven plenty of older jacks with high K's on them & gearbox's are still great.

Happy motoring
jack

FollowupID: 21863

Reply By: zigglemeister - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 17:26

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 17:26
Hi Jackaroo,

If bleeding is helping starting, I'd suggest you might have a small leak somewhere in your fuel system. I'm not up on electronic injection types - mine's an old 4Runner diesel with the rotary pump - but on those older types you only need a fairly small leak somewhere to get a bit of air in your system, and then it can be very hard to start.
One other thing - I presume the fuel filter's been changed?
Tim Z
AnswerID: 30468

Follow Up By: Jackaroo - Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 16:53

Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 16:53
Thanks Tim,Yep, fuelfilter is changed each 20,000, in fact it is after changing the filter that the trouble seems to recur for a few weeks, no signs of any leaks but would really need to pressure test the system between the pump and fuel tank to make sure, a bit difficult. Cheers.
FollowupID: 21800

Reply By: Trevor(WA) - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 18:50

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 18:50
holden issued a bulletin to all dealers on may 3 2002 directing them to change the sub oil filter at 20000km intervals.
The hard starting can be due to fuel running back to the tank from the engine. a simple flow control valve is available to cure this and is fitted in the engine bay.
send me an email to millstr@bigpond.com and I'll give you more info.
AnswerID: 30482

Sponsored Links