VIRUS FOUND

Submitted: Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 13:26
ThreadID: 7101 Views:1413 Replies:7 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
In the ExploreOz Newsletter by my PC-cillin program. The message indicates that the newsletter mailing list is propagating the PE_BUGBEAR.DAM virus. Be carefulChris
<- 1996 Troopy, the best!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 14:57

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 14:57
Which newsletter - We have not sent one for nearly 3 months. We have been away and busy trying to get the notes ready to publish for you. So I am very confused about this issue. We are also fully covered by 3 different level of AV protection at both our office and server hosting platform - Thus I suspect that you have received this virus from somewhere email and not ExplorOz. Have a look at the TCP/IP headers and see what server sent it because it wil not be one of ours.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
AnswerID: 30442

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 15:01

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 15:01
Additionally just for your info - we receive and kill about 100 virus emails per day on our mail servers - it is amazing when I receive a virus sent from myself to myself and it originates from somewhere in the USA - I do not think so.

Anyway rest assured that you will never receive a virus from our email systems or mailservers.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 21483

Follow Up By: Member - Chris - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 12:27

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 12:27
David,

The email did have all the right ID, as far as I could tell, to indicate that it originated from you and I only raised the issue to both inform you and our community to ensure that everybody was covered.

For those who sidetracked this post into 'mine is better than yours' issue, my software is not shareware and, like all packages, has it's ups and downs. No, Windows does not operate funny, and no I DO expect that some virii do get through despite several updates a week, and yes I am quite computer literate and don't need the 'suck eggs' reply.

I also felt that you would have appropriate services in place to prevent virii propagation, however, if you believe your last comment above, you are wrong. Never say 'never' is a good motto.

Maybe we could test our bullbars on the pukes that write the virus routines!!!
Chris
<- 1996 Troopy, the best!
FollowupID: 21693

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 13:26

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 13:26
I can actually say never in this case as the full email newsletter is built in software that I have written and it cannot be hacked as it is fully program generated.

You certainly may receive a virus email that says it has come from us but be advised that it has not as we do not actually store anyones email addresses in any Microsoft address list or address book. Masking the from and to lines in emails is how most viruses are sent these days however they generally all relly on the address list or address book to pull in the names. Our lists are not stored in these at all.

I am an Internet email and connectivity security consultant to some very large insurance companies (as this it one of the things I.T. Beyond does) and I never say never unless I am bloody sure of what I am saying.

As for bullbar tests on virus creators what a good idea!Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 21699

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 15:52

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 15:52
The way some virus' work, is they grab from OUTLOOK an address, either from address book or from mail in your folders/or a users folders, and then randomly use that address, and then attach themselves to the mail, and select a certain file from the same HD, attach that and go..

AnswerID: 30448

Reply By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 16:19

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 16:19
There's a virus doing the rounds at the moment..you get an email from 'microsoft'...saying 'use this patch' or something like that...I have been getting it everyday for the past week...but my virus scan gets' it as soon as it lands...and gets rid of it...

Laugh alot..life's too short not to....

brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

AnswerID: 30456

Reply By: Willie - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 16:34

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 16:34
Yeah, I received the BUGBEAR via a 2002 Telstra Bigpond newsletter. But they said that it only comes in via an attachment. On that day I received two attachments from friends. I had them scan their computers but it showed a clean bill of health on both systems.

If you have had lots of troubles with your computer and viruses coming in and Windows playing up then get rid of PC CILLIN...it is a Shareware program and not as safe as it purports to be. Since I have switched to NORTON twelve months ago I have had no problems with viruses as Norton detects them immediately and it or I can take remedial action.

Cheers,

Willie
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 30459

Reply By: macca - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 17:05

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 17:05
At the expense of getting into a slanging match over what virus software is better. I use PC_Cillin 2002 and it works quite well. You can download a trial programme from Trend but it is not shareware! When virus's are located/notified by your antivirus software you should also follow there advice to ensure that the virus is deleted,isolated or quarantened. Both Nortons and PC Cillin web pages have information on how to check further than just scanning.! Also it pays to put a dummy email address as the first name in your adddress book as when a virus starts sending from your list the first one (the fictitious one) will bounce it and then no other mail will be sent.
AnswerID: 30463

Follow Up By: Member - Larry (Blue Mtns) - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 20:12

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 20:12
Macca

Afraid you're not right about the dummy email address. They pick them randomly or so I have been reliably informed.

However I've still got the dummy address sitting in my address book!!

As Truckster said - they worm onto a HDD & randomly pick 2 addresses then use one as an addressor & one as an addressee.

Regards
Larry

PS. Had to tell somebody - we're off to the Simpson tomorrow. Our first trip!!
FollowupID: 21522

Reply By: John - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 18:24

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 18:24
Hi
Macca is correct PC-cillin is not share ware.
I run it on my office PC it still runs Windows 95 and it is an excellent program.
I also run Norton antivirus on my lap top with Windows XP, It to works very very well as well.

Main point keep them up to date and administer any MicroSoft patches to your system as soon as they are avaliable.

Regards
John
AnswerID: 30477

Reply By: Brad - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 19:16

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 19:16
Get a real computer that runs OSX - no more probs :-))))
AnswerID: 30486

Follow Up By: Luke - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 23:49

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 23:49
Yep, I'm sitting here in front of my eMac with OS X 10.2.7 and Safari browser after fixing yet another one of somebody elses Win2K machines this afternoon :-)
FollowupID: 21556

Follow Up By: Member - Wombat (Vic) - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 13:28

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 13:28
Luke & Brad,

Fellow user's of real computer's. I have a problem/question. It's time to upgrade my mobile and I want to go CDMA. Do either of you know of, or use a CDMA phone for internet connectivity with System 9 or 10. If so, can you please advise me which one as I'm at my wit's end trying to get answers from Telstra.

Thanks in advance."Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
FollowupID: 21601

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 15:28

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 15:28
Theres Virus for every OS even UNIX and Linux...

Still like my Mandrake :)~~

AND ITS FREE AND COMES WITH THE WORKS!
FollowupID: 21614

Follow Up By: Luke - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 17:14

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 17:14
>Theres Virus for every OS even UNIX and Linux...

I think from memory, the last virus written for MacOS was in 1998, and even then it could only be transmitted via disk :-) ...just that MacOS (and UNIX/Linux) is inherently very secure, whilst Windows is just full of holes. That's why lots of script kiddies find it so easy to propogate viruses for Windows at will :-) Mind you, the NT architecture of NT/W2K/XP is improving that stiuation somewhat with the UNIX like kernel module that it follows, but security is still not the same out of the box :-D

I use Linux, MacOS X, MacOS9.x, Win2K, WinXP, and WinNT on a daily basis - so I'm not biased - I just know what's good! LOL

>Fellow user's of real computer's. I have a problem/question. It's time to upgrade my mobile and I want to go CDMA. Do either of you know of, or use a CDMA phone for internet connectivity with System 9 or 10. If so, can you please advise me which one as I'm at my wit's end trying to get answers from Telstra.

Sorry Wombat,
mmm....not sure about that one - I have a CDMA phone which is great, but haven't used it for mobile internet access at all. I know some pretty cluey Mac guys though - I'll try to remember to see if they know.

Cheers,

Luke.

FollowupID: 21632

Follow Up By: Member - Wombat (Vic) - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 11:57

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 11:57
Thanks Luke. I would appreciate it very, very much."Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
FollowupID: 21691

Sponsored Links