Advice on offroad wind-up camper trailers

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 03, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 712 Views:3717 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone had experience with how the Coromal, Goldstream, Jayco wind-up camper trailers handle/ survive the Gibb river road, Tanami track, Plenty highway etc?
We are thinking of purchasing one but question their ability to handle these conditions.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rob P - Sunday, Feb 03, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Feb 03, 2002 at 01:00
Dave,
I've not had first hand experience with the Goldstream off roader, but did own a on road camper and mangaged to do some light duty off roading in this without an issue.. I've talked to some Goldstream off road campers owners, they seem to be as capable (almost) as the core
off road brands such as Kimberley etc. I have heard that the Jayco off road is designed for light duty stuff, not real hard bone breaking corrugations etc
AnswerID: 1939

Reply By: Joanne - Sunday, Feb 03, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Feb 03, 2002 at 01:00
In May 2001 we did over 7,500klms towing a Coromal Rally XC 380 We did from Brisbane across to Windorah (very rocky),Birdsville & Oodnadatta tracks,Ernest Giles Rd. Plenty Highway. we never had any trouble towing the camper whether on the very rough or bitumen .We have a tregg hitch on ours. We preferred a camper with independant suspension than a beam axle better clearance .
We bought ours 2nd hand and it had already done a few big trips with original owners.
AnswerID: 1944

Reply By: eric - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2002 at 01:00
I own a golf camper trailer, off road slipstream. We purchased it 4 years ago and completed the 'big one' that year. This trip involved the Gibb River Road, and side tracks, the Gulf Track, Bloomfield track, Fraser Island - inland tracks as well as the beach, and many other rough and not so rough tracks. Structurally the van is very strong and took everything we gave it. The catches on the internal cupboards require upgrading, else your clothing and food will meet you at the door, with the contents of the fridge. I believe that this problem is common to most vans of that era. One word of warning if buying any camper van, ensure that you have it serviced by a reputable tradesperson/dealer. I have recently been fronted with a repair bill of over $1,000 to rectify "repairs/adjustments" allegedley carried out under warranty. These types of campers (jayco/coromal/goldstream etc) are reliable and sturdy if proper qualified maintenance is completed. With any trip of this nature a good complement of common sense is required regardless of what mode of van you tow. Good luck and good camping.
AnswerID: 1999

Sponsored Links