Forester Clutch Shudder

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 09:37
ThreadID: 7126 Views:6216 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Since new, the clutch of my 2001 Forester has been shuddering when cold, increasing to the point where it's very bad now and lasting longer than the 5 minutes or so that the car takes to warm up. Is anybody else experiencing this issue? I've read that it's 'fairly' common on manuals. Is there anyone who has had it fixed under warranty? Thanks for your input.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: yarda - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 10:29

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 10:29
sounds like you need to get the dealer to fit a new clutch assembly and machine the flywheel under warranty, the spring fingers on the pressure plate are probably shot. A friend of mine was having problems on his 2001 outback with oil consumption issues and after working with the dealer on the issues they replaced his engine under warranty and gave him a new outback for as long as the job took!! Subaru seem fairly good at warranty work, as it is rare that any problems come up.. Brad
AnswerID: 30557

Reply By: Member - Colin (ACT region) - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 11:19

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 11:19
It may be the most common compaint ?

Mine is a '98 - I bought it 2nd hand at 80 000km and it still has shudder at 115 000km, mainly when cold. Subaru fixed the gearbox 'slipping out of 1st gear on overrun' at 85 000km (well out of 3 the year warranty!!) and inspected the clutch. They found no fault with the clutch and little wear, but do 'admit' to clutch shudder. It is explained by the non asbestos clutch plate material used.
If it judders too much I slip the clutch for a 100m ? to get it warm. I live in a rural area so I don't have any continuous clutch use - 'a la city driving'. I haven't noticed any shudder in low range, but in these conditions the clutch would be well and truly warm!

I have heard of people having the clutch replaced but the problem still exists, so it is probably something we have to live with.

Do a search in these Forester Web sites - you may find some helpful info.
Forester Forum
Forester Yahoo

Subaru Forester
size isn't everything !
AnswerID: 30561

Follow Up By: vilro - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 12:04

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 12:04
yarda, Colin !!!
Thanks for your feedback....I'm on the way to ny dealer now.....will let you know what happens....!
Regards, vilro!!!!
FollowupID: 21596

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 16:18

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 16:18
WHat has the dealer had to say in the past about this?

If you have had it and put up with it for years without mentioning it I bet they will just say its worn, and you pay up...
AnswerID: 30583

Reply By: Member - Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 19:11

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 19:11
yewr I do that too, shudder when I'm cold

If its been doping it sdince new I would have been back to the dealership many times and they'd be fixing it under warrantySo many places to go!
So much work to do :0(
AnswerID: 30603

Reply By: steveh - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 20:41

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 20:41
I have been driving Liberty RX's for the past three years and have had the same problem.The first one I had did this th whole time I had it (155000km). The current one has done 55000km and it is starting to settle down now . My company runs a fleet of these and all drivers have complained to subaru . The answer we get is it a non asbestos clutch and they admit it is an annoying problem but if they replace it it will probably do the same thing. The strange thing is that the B4 2.5 twin turbo runs the same clutch and noone has ever complained.

good luck

Steveh
AnswerID: 30617

Follow Up By: Member - Colin (ACT region) - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 11:06

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 11:06
If I had a B4 I dont think I would notice - a few revs, pop the clutch and just 'hang on'!

Reporting the shudder is important, but from what I have read, if you persist Subaru will put in a new one and the shudder will just re-appear later. Modern cars with AWD are a little 'fiddly' to get off the mark anyway - everything is mounted on 'jelly rubber' and the drive train can get the 'wobbles'!

Mine is not bad enough to worry about and I dont do any city driving.
An alternative fix is to get a aftermarket clutch fitted.Subaru Forester
size isn't everything !
FollowupID: 21689

Sponsored Links