Sunday History Photo /SA

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 09, 2009 at 01:27
ThreadID: 71340 Views:5261 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Image Could Not Be Found
When Sidney Kidman left his Norwood home, he was thirteen years old and eventually would become 'a legend in his own lifetime'
During the 1880s Kidman made some very important decisions. He sold his share in the Broken Hill mine, which he came to regret for the rest of his life, went into partnership with his brother Sackville in 1884 and a year later married Bel Wright of Kapunda. These last two decisions were the best he ever made. In 1887 Kidman bought Thule Station, his first property, went into partnership with Jimmy Nicholas and established a coaching business which would break the Cobb & Co monopoly.
The first real big property bought by Kidman and his brother Sackville was Cowarie Station, pioneered by August Helling in 1875, which they acquired in 1895. A year later the Kidman brothers bought Owen Springs Station, south of Alice Springs. Within a few years they added Alton Downs, Annandale, Caryapundy, Clayton, Haddon Downs, Mount Nor'West, Pandi Pandi, Roseberth and Tickalara Stations.
Image Could Not Be Found
Sackville Kidman died in March 1899 and from then on Sidney had to look after the running of everything, including the office and business in Broken Hill, which had always been managed by Sackville. Operating now on his own he established Eringa Station and later that same year bought Austral Downs and Carcoory. In 1900 Kidman, Alexander Forrest and Isadore Emanuel bought Victoria River Downs station in the Northern Territory and appointed Denis James Ronan as manager, but sold it again during the drought.
Although hurt badly during the severe drought of 1900-1903 when he lost more than 70,000 head of cattle and had to close several stations, he still managed to buy more stations and even a large house at Kapunda for his growing family. In 1903 he started on another buying spree and got hold of Carandotta and Lake Albert, which he sold within six months at a profit of $50,000. In 1904 he added Bullo Downs, Sandringham, Glengyle, Peake Downs and several others. Even while holidaying with his family in England he bought more properties, including Innamincka Station. When Mundowdna station, near Marree became available he snapped it up, acquiring a terminal at the end of the Birdsville Track where cattle could be fattened up before going on the train for the Adelaide market. Eventually he became the world's largest private landowner holding more land than the total area area of England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
In 1916 Kidman bought, with Edward Peter Tapp, Yancannia, Tindara and Lake Elder Stations. During the First World War, Kidman gave more than generously for the war effort. His donations included wool, meat, horses, ambulances and planes. He promised his employees a job on their return and provided for the widows of those who did not. He also gave substantial donations to the Red Cross and the Salvation Army. In money terms it amounted to hundreds of thousands of dollars. By the end of the war Kidman was also diversifying his business. He became involved in ship and road building and railway and reservoir construction.
Image Could Not Be Found
When Kidman moved his office and residence to Adelaide, he donated his Kapunda home in 1921 to the Education Department to be used as a High School. This building had been constructed for Alexander Greenshields in 1879. When Kidman bought it in 1901 he named it Eringa. He was knighted in 1921.
Image Could Not Be Found
To celebrate Kidman's seventy-fifth birthday, his employees put on a rodeo in Adelaide on 3 September 1932, which was attended by nearly fifty thousand people. Even today it remains Australia's largest public birthday party ever for a private citizen. Les Daley wrote the poem Kidman's Boys for this special occasion.

Kidman died 2 September 1935, aged 78 years.
His wife Isabel Brown Kidman, died 13 July 1948, aged 86 years.
Both are buried at the Mitcham Cemetery

S Kidman and Co is still the largest private landholder in Australia, although now on a much smaller scale.
Image Could Not Be Found

The Adelaide suburb of Kidman Park was named after him.
Image Could Not Be Found

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rockape - Sunday, Aug 09, 2009 at 06:24

Sunday, Aug 09, 2009 at 06:24
Thanks Doug,

Another great piece of history you have shared.

AnswerID: 378207

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Sunday, Aug 09, 2009 at 08:20

Sunday, Aug 09, 2009 at 08:20
Thanks Doug

You are teaching us very well!!!! And I love it.

Keep up the good work

Alan
AnswerID: 378212

Reply By: Ray - Sunday, Aug 09, 2009 at 08:43

Sunday, Aug 09, 2009 at 08:43
Sir Sidney Kidman. That sounds great. Pity we did away with knighthoods in Australia.
AnswerID: 378215

Reply By: Member - John Q (QLD) - Sunday, Aug 09, 2009 at 08:54

Sunday, Aug 09, 2009 at 08:54
Thank again Doug for another piece of interesting history.

John
just crusin & smelling the flowers

1. At Halls Creek (Is he really lost?)
2. East of Cameron Cnr

AnswerID: 378218

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Sunday, Aug 09, 2009 at 10:52

Sunday, Aug 09, 2009 at 10:52
John
Yeh, he was tough and shrewd man , and today all the photo's are mine except the one of Sid, ...

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 645600

Follow Up By: Member - extfilm (NSW) - Sunday, Aug 09, 2009 at 20:38

Sunday, Aug 09, 2009 at 20:38
Good on ya mate,
U sure do have a historical collection of pics.....
Peter
FollowupID: 645680

Reply By: Member - Paul Mac (VIC) - Sunday, Aug 09, 2009 at 10:37

Sunday, Aug 09, 2009 at 10:37
A great read Doug.

I always enjoy reading your history threads.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 378228

Reply By: Member - Phil R (Vic) - Sunday, Aug 09, 2009 at 18:55

Sunday, Aug 09, 2009 at 18:55
Doug,once again my wife and I really enjoyed your history thread on this great country.
All the best,
Phill and June.
AnswerID: 378282

Reply By: Troppo Tom (Virginia, N.T.) - Sunday, Aug 09, 2009 at 23:34

Sunday, Aug 09, 2009 at 23:34
Gidday!

Thanks Doug. This week's article brought back memories of attending Kapanda High in the 70's.

Cheers,
AnswerID: 378323

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Monday, Aug 10, 2009 at 00:18

Monday, Aug 10, 2009 at 00:18
Tom
The town has a lot of history for sure , My parents lived there in retirement at the Caravan Pk , next time your down Adelaide River drop in for a coffee at Mt Bundy.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 645703

Reply By: Brian Purdue - Friday, Aug 14, 2009 at 09:16

Friday, Aug 14, 2009 at 09:16
If you are interested, I have a number of photographs taken at the telegraph station ar Eucla circa 1905. They include the Old telegraph" station or correstly the first one there. They originally belonged to Harry Manning of murder on the rabbit proof fence fame.
I have delayed contacting you as I do not want them generally circulated. I "lent" the originals to Peter Bridge and I hope he still has them. They were copied for me by the Battye who kept one copy on cd.
My address is historiwa@hotmail.com
or you can telephone me at 9272 95 83 before Tuesday 18 August.
Regards
Brian Purdue
AnswerID: 378947

Sponsored Links