looking for advice on generator for computer.

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 22:28
ThreadID: 7140 Views:5628 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have bought a Millers Falls generator it's 240v and 14.4 v ac doubles as a battery charger. That's great, i need to run a computer can anybody tell me how to run a computer off it. I am told i will need a invertor is there a simple extra connection invertor that i can use. thanks for any information or insight on this, i am really in the dark and don't know mutch about this subject. Also my T.V i have just bouhgt is a old black and white one and runs off 240v or 12v DC so how can i dun that off this generator. Hopefully this forrum has auto responder for any replies other wise please direct to heybays@yahoo.com
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Frank - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 01:42

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 01:42
Hi,
If you want to run the laptop off the generator, you should get a "Pure sine wave" inverter to reduce the risk from spiking. You can pick up a small one for a couple hundred bucks. They say that the "Modified sine wave" inverter can cause damage to the laptop's battery. The current output from a generator is not stable and could cause damage to sensitive equipment, although I don't know about the new model generators.
I just charge my laptop battery using a cigarette lighter adapter (12v), which you can pick up at Dick Smiths. But then again, I don't use the laptop for too long.
The TV can be run off the generator on 240v, or again use one of the adaptors for 12v. Otherwise straight off the car battery (12v).
Try the link below, just type "adaptors" in the search box.

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/

Regards
Frank
AnswerID: 30646

Reply By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 06:12

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 06:12
Hi Jaffasoft

I also run my laptop off the ciggie lighter connection.
There is a product carried by Dick Smith, manufactured by Kerio Technologies which has a wide range of plugs to cover a wide range of laptops. I got mine on special for around $120 froom memory.

JackAustralia - If you don't love it, leave!!!
AnswerID: 30649

Reply By: Member - Eric- Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 07:18

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 07:18
I would not run a laptop of the generator , a inverter is the go Craigs hut 2003
AnswerID: 30650

Reply By: Jaffasoft - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 10:27

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 10:27
Woow this is a happen'en forrum!! I got three replies over nite.I looked in the email box and it had three autoresponders. So it sure has autoresponders. To get a reply like that over nite says that, 'a forrum is alive and well'. Thanks for the replies guys.

Well you can ask my X gf where the nice little Laptop has gone ( must have been to nice for her to leave it behind along with a couple of other computer appiances she thought we're to handy and convienient to take along with her). So i'm looking a running this normal common house computer (like the big tower and monitor printer and everything). Sure i would like to get a laptop like you's have got but my budget doesn't allow for that for that yet.
In the meantime im biulding this small unit size house boat twin share type thing and will run off two ED9 Deep Cycle Batteries once its doing everything on its own and indeppendant. Thats why its gearing to everything 12V and will be lived in on the block for 12 months until it's taken to the murray. That's why im stil a bit puzzled buy this 12V DC telly. Keeping in mind that it will deafenatly be the way to go to get a Laptop for once i'm there.

Will look into and follow up your leads. Again Thankyou for your insight and excellent replies. And if you have any more advice please give them.
AnswerID: 30657

Reply By: Willie - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 12:10

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 12:10
Jaffa,
I run my laptop off a 150 watt Pure Sinewave inverter bought from Jaycar. The inverter is hardwired to my auxilliary battery. You should be able to do this with and desk top computer. Just check the wattage of your computer and buy an inverter that will handle double the amount.
Cheers,
Willie
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 30669

Reply By: peck - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 18:44

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 18:44
I run my laptop straight from car battery, no inverters, no special cables etc. Just plug 12v from car bat. where charger plugs in. I keep getting messages like "battery going flat" etc. but runs OK. The computer rechargable battery is always flat tho so can only use comp. when connected to car.
AnswerID: 30699

Reply By: Dunedigger - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 19:34

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 19:34
Since you have the generator you could use a computer UPS to clean up you power supply. If the generator fails the UPS will keep you computer going for 5 or 10 minutes while you get sorted. Only problem is the additional weight

DuneDigger
AnswerID: 30710

Follow Up By: Hiluxer - Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 19:30

Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 19:30
Be Careful on your selection of UPS I tried that one and the UPS that i have will not run of a generator, I am wondering if it has something to do with the earthing. However I have been told that later model ones with different electronic will allow a UPS to operate. Cannot tell you the models though except the geni I was using is about a five year old Yamaha and the UPS is an AMD...Cheers
FollowupID: 21897

Reply By: Jaffasoft - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 19:39

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 19:39
That's some system you got there Peck rough and ready just plug it in and it works. If it aint broke don't fit it!! And it doesnt seem to have broken it. Though i don't know if that method would work on every system. I would hate to plug in a nice shiny new $2000 laptop and have it blow up by a current over flow.

Although that aside. In general, how do you find using the laptop instead of the desktop? I wanna be a web designer, well it's not wanna be..i am a web designer. I'm looking at running a laptop 50-80 hours a week. And probably looking at some other interesting things like how to get an ISP on a house boat and do it buy radio ect apparently there's sailmail developed for boats to send emails and email checking time is left to a minimun up til 10 minutes a day or something and the costs shared to keep costs to a minumun , so there must be something for getting online. If boats are doing it i imagine 4Wd are doing it as well , i noticed alot of you have 4WD pictures so surely you have figured out some method of getting online? How do you find using your laptop would you be happy to do away with the desktop. I'm thinking maybee i will sell this desktop?

Cheers Jaffa.
AnswerID: 30711

Sponsored Links