New menu system

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 13:52
ThreadID: 7172 Views:2229 Replies:8 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,

Well after the feedback yesterday about the menu playing up I went and found a new version of the menu that we have been using. I have installed a new version a few seconds ago.

It should look almost exactly the same as before with one exception - The system will highlight the menu item that you are currently on so if you use Topic Search Accessories - you will notice that menu will highlight Vehicle Requirements - Accessories. This will help people in knowing where you are in the menu. Note it only knows about the main pages in areas such as the forum, trader and shop however it is a start.

MAC USERS
For my old mates that use Macs and IE can you please try this for me and tell me if the dynamic menus now work on your platform (this version is meant to work on MAC's using IE). Click here to test dynamic menus. I need this feedback and will turn the Mac's back to the dynamic menus if you tell me it works.

Any other feedback, problems or questions please post via the Feedback form under About Us - Contact Us or use the Feedback link at the bottom of the screen.ExplorOz
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wombat (Vic) - Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 14:00

Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 14:00
Hi David,

Dynamic menus are operational on my G4 Macintosh running IE5. "Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
AnswerID: 30771

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 14:04

Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 14:04
Thanks - I assume you needed to click the link to make it work?

Can you try one more for me also to see if the dynamic latest news runs as well - Click Here.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
0
FollowupID: 21778

Follow Up By: dogart - Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 14:15

Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 14:15
Wombat

wondering if ya can look at something for me and give me some feedback.

I am on G4 running IE 5.1.7
One of my fishing sites has just updated there main page and it
seems to be missing the menu's down the lft hnd side when I view it.
I have pointed this out to the administrator and his reply was (sorry about the length!)

G'day Wolf,
If yer using a Mac you're generally only getting 60% of web functionality users of Windows are getting. By this I mean *in general*, not pertaining to the WAngler site alone. I most cases you just don't know what you're missing: the Mac browser just ignores the other 40%. In the case of the WAngler site your browser can't render the javascript menu.

The following questions arises. Do we:

a) Develop for the lowest common denominator? The tiny Macinthosh minority, people stuck with old hard & software, a sprinkling of recalcitrant Opera/Mozilla masochists and basically offer nothing but static eye-candy pages that require high level maintainace and inferior web experience?

b) Keep up with contempory browser object models and server technologies that offer better accessibility, interactivity and leverage the efficiencies that advancing technologies bring for the vast majority of our users?

This is not to say we don't care about you! - I'll see what we can do about making the navigation compatible for minorities. It basically means we'd have to do a browser-detect and create a scaled-down site version for each of the different browsers. This is pretty time consuming as you can imagine. It'd be a tough strategic decision to figure out whether to allocate scarce resources to this, or not. Remember the WAngler site is provided free of charge and we get very little in return. However there may be a simple fix..... I'll get back on this.

Just wondering if you can have a quick look and let me know if it's the same for you.
www.westernangler.com.au

cheers
wolf
PERTH

0
FollowupID: 21780

Follow Up By: Member - Wombat (Vic) - Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 14:26

Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 14:26
Yes David "Latest news" is dynamic as well"Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
0
FollowupID: 21783

Follow Up By: Member - Wombat (Vic) - Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 14:41

Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 14:41
Dogart,

The left hand menu is missing on that angling site when I view it.

BTW "If yer using a Mac you're generally only getting 60% of web functionality users of Windows are getting. By this I mean *in general*, not pertaining to the WAngler site alone. I most cases you just don't know what you're missing: the Mac browser just ignores the other 40%. In the case of the WAngler site your browser can't render the javascript menu." is one of the biggest loads of BS I have read in a long time. What the web editor should have honestly said to you was "we don't care about you!""Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
0
FollowupID: 21787

Follow Up By: dogart - Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 14:55

Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 14:55
Wombat

check out the forum and have a look at the other comments!
http://www.westernangler.com.au/forum/New_WAngler_site_format/m_8576/p_1/tmode_1/smode_1/tm.htm

I had to hold back big time when replying to this character.
The biggest load of BS indead.

cheers
wolf
0
FollowupID: 21789

Reply By: dogart - Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 14:05

Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 14:05
David

I'm using Mac OS9.1 IE 5.1.7
went to the dynamic menus link and all seems fine.
I get drop down menus when move cursor over
the tabs.
It also works without going to the "click here to test...." link

hope this helps

wolf
PERTH
AnswerID: 30772

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 14:08

Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 14:08
Please submit me a feedback using link at bottom so I can capture the browser tag details (the form does this when you submit).Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
0
FollowupID: 21779

Follow Up By: dogart - Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 14:21

Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 14:21
David

you mean the post reply link?

wolf
0
FollowupID: 21782

Follow Up By: David from ExplorOz - Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 15:15

Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 15:15
No I mean the Feedback link at the very bottom of the screen.ExplorOz
0
FollowupID: 21790

Reply By: Member - Wombat (Vic) - Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 14:33

Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 14:33
Mr Martin,

The dynamic menus are all working and the "Latest news" section automatically scrolls WITHOUT having to go to the test link which you posted."Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
AnswerID: 30777

Reply By: dogart - Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 15:33

Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 15:33
David

you must of done something cause it aint workin now!
(the drop down menus that is and the auto scroll for latest news)

wolf
AnswerID: 30779

Reply By: dogart - Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 16:23

Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 16:23
Just checked again and now it's cool!
wolf
AnswerID: 30789

Reply By: diamond(bendigo) - Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 18:20

Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 18:20
i would just like to thank david.
yesterday a loved one of mine the menu bar went missing.
well with a lot of help from david(what a champion bloke) it has come home.
im so gratefull for your yelp in reuniting us together again.
thanks "-)))))))))))))šqUC3<BuIL
AnswerID: 30804

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 22:01

Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 22:01
David I'm using OS X 10.2 & IE 5.2 & on broadband.
Loading seems longer , flicks on/off like a neon light starting 5-6 times before dropping in.
Menus a bit reluctant to open but do. News is scrolling OK. Carpe Diem
AnswerID: 30827

Reply By: Member - Jack - Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 06:15

Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 06:15
Hi David:

My menus are working fine - and in fact this is an improvement because as I now pass the cursor over menu items that I am not going to use (on the way to the forum) the drop down now disappears as I move past it - before it was staying there for some period of time).

Thanks

JackAustralia - If you don't love it, leave!!!
AnswerID: 30846

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 10:35

Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 10:35
Jack,

Yes this new version is a huge improvement on what we were running. Just wait to you get the new dynamic map navigation system I am working on - it is very cool. Anyway back to work for me and thanks for the feedback.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
0
FollowupID: 21861

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)