CDMA mobile coupled with Macintosh

Submitted: Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 15:49
ThreadID: 7192 Views:1680 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
It is time to upgrade my mobile phone and I have decided this time to go over to CDMA. I want to be able to use my new phone with my Macintosh laptop to access the internet and send/receive emails. Do any of my fellow forumites have such a set up, and if so, which CDMA phone has connectivity to a Mac?"Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - George (WA) - Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 17:08

Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 17:08
Hi Wombat,
I cannot answer your question but can give you this advise which is relevant to what you are trying to do.
I have a digital mobile phone which I have used as a modem to connect to the internet.
These are the problems,

At a maximum connection speed of 9600 bps it takes a long time to connect to your mail server and view any emails that may be there.
You will finish up with a large mobile phone account.

It only works if you are in a mobile reception area.

It annoys the hell out of you when you patiently wait for your connection and your phone signal drops out.

I have found it much quicker and cheaper to call into a cyber/net cafe and check my email box from there.
It is also quicker to reply from there

Most places, even small ones, have a cyber/net cafe now, otherwise try the library or council offices in small country towns.

Hope this helps in your decission making

CheersKing Edward River, Mitchell Plateau
VKS-737, ch 2, sel. 2131
AnswerID: 30883

Follow Up By: Old Soldier - Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 19:22

Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 19:22
G'day,

I agree with George 100%.

9,600 is antiquated to put it politely.

You'd be almost better off posting a letter via snail mail :):):).

Find a good web based email service [Hotmail, Lycos etc.] tell all your friends that is the one to contact you on, and then as George says, access it from the numerous little net cafes, librariy internet services etc. popping up around the country.

Better still - leave it all behind you and go enjoy this great country.

Who needs to be tied to "civilization" [I use the term loosely] via email. Yuk !!!

DennisN

FollowupID: 21894

Reply By: Andrew - Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 20:46

Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 20:46
Hi Wombat

I upgraded to a CDMA mobile phone and ended up with a Nokia 6385 so that I could connect to the internet. The phone is not that great as it has poor standby times and increased dropouts compared with GSM phones that I have used. I think that next time I would try a different CDMA phone. The phone has an infrared port and I could connect it to my notebook which runs XP and get my emails that way. It was very slow so I ended up connecting to my Bigpond account via the web, checking if there were any big emails and deleting the big ones. I deleted any spam and photos so that I didnt was time downloading them.

It was great to be able to sit on Chili Beach in Cape York, take a photo on my digital camera, transfer it to may laptop, save it as approx 50kB file and then send it to all my friends in real time virtually. "This is what I am doing now...." sort of thing. Was great for text emails up to around 100kb but anything bigger was too slow and expensive.

As for Macs - dont know anything about them...

Andrew
AnswerID: 30905

Follow Up By: Mad Dog Morgan (Vic) - Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 23:17

Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 23:17
Some of the early 6385 phones have a software fault. They can be sent back at a small cost for a software flash. I've been told that Telstra do it for free. Reports from unhappy owners indicate that after the flash the phones kick butt.My Best Mates
Hooroo
Ray
FollowupID: 21918

Reply By: Willie - Saturday, Sep 13, 2003 at 20:49

Saturday, Sep 13, 2003 at 20:49
G'day Wombat,

I have a Kyocera Qualcomm CDMA which has a built in Webbrowser. This facility can connect you to the internet direct via but I have not enabled it as I have no use for it. It also had a datacable interface. This should be compatible with any computer system if you buy the right cables? It communicates in analog at 800MHz and in digital at 1900MHz what ever that means. Do not get many drop outs but do not use it that much either.

I bought it from Telstra about 18 months ago for around $650 outright with no
contract
Cheers,

Willie

Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 30969

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Saturday, Sep 13, 2003 at 22:25

Saturday, Sep 13, 2003 at 22:25
Wombat I took my Mac iBook away on the Kimberley trip. After talking with a Mac guru I decided not to try the mobile connection bit although I took a phone as well.
I kept notes which I forwarded to family/friends listed in the address book any time I hit a town that had an Internet Cafe & at the same time down loaded mail. Any non urgent replies were written up by the campfire and forwarded at the next cafe stop. Most places only charged about 2 bucks.
Ask if they have a LAN line for preference, it plugs into your ethernet port and your connected straight away. In some places you may have to adjust your preferences, keep a note of your existing ones to reinstall.
Don't forget to save documents for forwarding in a doc./windows format, I made a blue and foregot about all my mac illiterate friends who couldn't open the sent file.
Go the MacCarpe Diem
AnswerID: 30979

Reply By: macca - Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 21:23

Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 21:23
Hi Wombat. I use a Kyocera 2235 and am about to purchase a data cable for it tomorrow. I will let you know how the connection, speed etc goes when I set up. It will be set up to an old IBM thinkpad 600 that the worlds second best treasurer uses to track our finances and will be used to pay our bills as required whilst on the road rather than risk internet cafe's
AnswerID: 31030

Sponsored Links