Snorkels

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 13, 2003 at 09:23
ThreadID: 7201 Views:1914 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I,m trying to get a snorkel to fit an X-Trail as the air intake is in a ridiculous position smack in the middle of the grill. Also there are reports of X-Trails sucking in a gutfull a water and expiring, very expensive. None of the 4wd distributors and manufacturers currently have one and have no future plans.

Does anyone know of a custom builder, preferably in Vic, who builds to order.

Regards,

Jim.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jack - Saturday, Sep 13, 2003 at 10:51

Saturday, Sep 13, 2003 at 10:51
Jimbo:

Post 4129 has some detail on building your own snorkel. If there are no other options this may be of use.

I tested the link before replying, but it was not working, but you may have better luck.

Safe Travels,
JackAustralia - If you don't love it, leave!!!
AnswerID: 30931

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 11:45

Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 11:45
Exhaust place..

Remember the Xtrail isnt designed for serious offroading. It will only end in heartache.
AnswerID: 30988

Follow Up By: Jimbo - Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 12:28

Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 12:28
Not planning anything too serious, but don't want to fill the engine with water crossing a creek.

Do you know of any exhaust places in Melb that have done them?

Thanks,

Jim.
FollowupID: 21973

Reply By: MarkFC - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 05:20

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 05:20
Hi Jim

I think my X-Trail is a great car, but I don't think it was intended to have a snorkel fitted. I will be sticking to the beach and forest trails, what it does best.

What other mods have you done to the X-Trail?

Good luck with your search though.

Regards

Mark FC

AnswerID: 31055

Follow Up By: Jimbo - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 21:06

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 21:06
Mark,

How far off road have you gone and what wiil it do? Your experience with the X-Trail would be interesting to know. Mine will be delivered shortly and I have ordered BFG All Terrain tyres (nothing else more aggressive available) and a dual battery system. I don't expect it to do what my GQ Patrol used to but then again I never really tested the GQ.

A bloke I was talking to told me his father in law has an X-Trail and it covered most ground that his GU TD covered but was let down by road tyres. Otherwise he thought it was far more capable than most gave it credit for.

Your thoughts would be appreciated. I am sick of hearing from from people who think it is a joke 4wd. Not all of us want to climb rocky trails at a 60 degree angle. Just getting away to some remote spots is what I am after. And crossing the odd creek.

Love to hear from someone who actually owns one, rather than someone who pontificates about them.

Regards,

Jim.
FollowupID: 22111

Reply By: MarkFC - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 10:26

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 10:26
Hi Jim

Join the club! I too am sick and tired of hearing that I have purchased a "toy" 4wd and I am wasting my time even getting it dirty. If I wish to spend $40k on a "softroader" vehicle that is driven 99% of the time on bitumen, well that's my choice. But the fact of the matter is that it does exactly what I expected of it, and that is take my family to the beach every few months, and on light forest trails. If I wanted to climb mountains I would have bought something else. I made an informed decision when purchasing the X-Trail, and it was the best compromise vehicle for what I wanted it to do. Like you say, there are a lot of people who dismiss them without even having driven one. I have however seen a few posts on other sites where "seasoned" off-roaders have had some practical experience with the X-Trail and have been surprised by their abilities.

I have been looking at replacing the Toyo's with an "A/T" tyre of 215/75/15 or 225/70/15, this will keep the car legal regarding increased diameter; Toyo, Cooper and BFG are a few manufacturers that have these sizes. At some stage I would like to replace the springs for an extra 10mm ride height and take some of the "roll" out of the ride.

Regards

Mark FC
AnswerID: 31214

Follow Up By: Jimbo - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 18:30

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 18:30
Mark,

Thanks for your feedback. Have heard of water intake problems (4x4 Australia, October,page 29). Have you had yours through water, and if so how deep?

The advice I was given about tyres is that a lot of the "A/T" tyres are not very agressive. I am advised that the BFG's are the best off road. Believe Yokohama also make one but it is not as good as the BFG. What have you heard?

Regards,

Jim.
FollowupID: 22201

Reply By: MarkFC - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 13:22

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 13:22
Hi Jim

I haven't taken the X-Trail through any water, and I would probably avoid any "deepish" crossings anyway.

When I replace my tyres and go to an "A/T", I won't be going for a tyre that is too aggressive anyway, as I don't want to generate too much extra noise and lose some roadholding abilities. I think I will go with either a Toyo or Cooper, but everyone has a different opinion on what is good or not so good!

As I said previously, I have only done a few beach trips to Noosa North Shore / Teewah Beach, and a number of day trips through the Sunshine Coast state forests, so nothing serious. The X-Trail has handled everything with ease so far. We are heading a bit further north for school holidays, so I will get the chance to try out some different locations.

Are you getting an auto?

Regards

Mark FC
AnswerID: 31320

Follow Up By: Jimbo - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 21:36

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 21:36
Mark,

Yes I'm getting an auto. I figure given its lack of low range, the torque converter and no chance of stalling when doing a climb will be an advantage. Also, the good lady wife has an aversion to manuals and then I wouldn't have anyone to drive me home after social occassions when it is her turn to drive. What do you have? My last 4wd a few years ago (92-96) was a Nissan GQ Patrol 3 litre petrol manual. Whilst a very capable vehicle (and I never got anywhere its limits), it was a pain in the arse in slow going, having to slip the clutch even in low range and really struggled in sand due to its lack of power and huge weight. On road it was a dead set slug (100kw towing 1900 kg unloaded.)

When testing the X-Trail I asked the dealer to loan me a second hand one for an afternoon, which he did (I wanted to see what one was like with 50,00 Km's up). I took it for a good long drive (on-road only) and found its performance outstanding for a 4wd. I currently drive a VY Commodore "S" with the supercharged 6, which has a fair bit of hoot. The performance differential, whilst noticeable, was not extreme. I actually got the stopwatch on my phone operating and found that the X-Trail (auto) pulled 0-100 km/h in 9.6 seconds. This a respectable time, even by sedan standards. Also its accelleration at overtaking speeds (90 km/h+) was sparkling. Quite simply it would blow any of the "real" 4wd's into the weeds.

I, like you, have decided to buy it as it is an excellent compromise vehicle. It performs all of the duties of a family wagon, with the ability to do some moderate off-road work.

I have heard some suggestions that during prolonged sand use the auto may overheat (do you have an auto?) and put the vehicle into 2wd rendering it bogged. Any observations?

How far north are you heading? I lived in Townsville from 87-95 and did the Cairns to Cooktown trip via the Bloomfield track a couple of times. It is a great trip that the X-Trail would handle (assumiming the Bloomfield River is not too deep - only gets deep in the wet season).

Mate its great talking to you, someone who thinks like me and doesn't think 4wding means 33 inch tyres, locked diffs, warn winches and high lift jacks.

I live in Melb but will be visitting the Gold Coast next week for holidays. Maybe we could catch uop for a beer.

Regards,

Jim

FollowupID: 22306

Reply By: Member - Colin (ACT region) - Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 11:45

Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 11:45
Like your conversation guys - don't take any notice of the people with big cars and small minds - your money, your choice.

On snorkels, (Forester) I have made a 'psuedo' snorkle out of flexible rubber tubing bought from Clarke Rubber. It slides onto one of the intake 'muffler' pipes and runs up into the 'air box' in front of the windscreen. I made a cover which clips over the main intake entry - switching over to the 'snorkel' takes a couple of minutes!. I don't intend crossing flooded/deep rivers, but most modern cars have the intake close to the front grill area - a recipie for trouble crossing creeks or 'splashing' on the beach.

Tyres - I fitted Bridgestone DD A/T - (205/70 15 on a '98 Forester - I would prefer 75 profile) they have much tougher sidewalls, good price from Bridge. Tyre Centre.

Also fitted higher rated springs, but I'm not sure if there are any aftermarket options available for Xtrails - Subaru certainly is the leader as far as 'options' are concerned.

Check out the Subaru Club in Victoria - I believe they cater for all types of smaller 4WDs
Subaru Club Vic
AnswerID: 31405

Reply By: MarkFC - Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 07:49

Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 07:49
Hi Jim

Yes we have an auto, my wife wouldn't drive a manual these days! I have been very impressed with the performance of the X-Trail, although I seem to drive it fairly sedately now.

I have heard that the 4wd lock will disengage after extended heavy use, requiring the vehicle to cool down before it will engage again. I have spoken to another owner who had this happen while coming back from Double Island Point to Noosa at high tide (through the soft sand). This is just over 50klms, and he had to stop once to cool things down. On my trips to the beach, I haven't had to cover soft sand for any extended periods of time, but I am aware of the situation.

We are heading up to Woodgate Beach for a week during the school holidays, it is east of Childers, just south of Bundaberg. Great place to visit.

I grew up in Mackay, and left for Brisbane & Sunshine Coast after finishing school in 1985. We then went back to Airlie Beach for a few years in the late 90's, before coming back to the Sunshine Coast. I have been to Townsville many times and a bit further north on a few occasions. Fantastic part of Australia.

Must agree with Subaru driver - many more aftermarket options for the Subaru (but they have been around for ever!). I have noticed a few suspension mods are becoming available for the Nissan though. I really liked the Forester, but the X-Trail was just a bit bigger for the family requirements.

Regards

Mark FC

AnswerID: 31489

Reply By: Darryl - Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 11:13

Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 11:13
Hi Jim and Mark
Great to hear fellow owners! We are proud owners of a auto Ti X-Trail. We live on the Sunshine coast and our beloved Trail has taken us to Longreach and to Tassie with 4 adults aboard. We have done several camping trips up Noosa north shore and even when heavily laden our X-Trail hasn't stopped at anything yet.
We played with the 4wd drive modes in the beginning but now leave it in auto mode at all times. Even in deepish sand we haven't had any problems. Run tyres at 20 psi on beach. Interested in the comment about auto trans heating up, how do you know if it's getting too hot?
We are looking for a little more clearence . Have made investigations on Sunny Coast and most places, except for TJM who have their series 2000 range, use Kings springs which provide a Quoted 30mm lift from standard. Nobody however does longer travel shocks. They say that the original shocks won't top out with this increased height but I'm just not sure. Any thoughts on this?
Haven't crossed any water as yet but now will be wary.
Jim, enjoy your X-Trail I'm sure you will be happy with your choice!

Darryl
AnswerID: 32865

Sponsored Links