4X4 SHOWS

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 17:48
ThreadID: 7222 Views:1634 Replies:8 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
HAVING READ IN A PREVIOUS POST THAT SOMEONE BOUGHT A T/D LANDCRUISER FOR $65000 AT THE BRISBANE SHOW, IT HAS PROMPTED ME TO ASK THE QUESTION OF ALL THE MORE EXPERIENCED - WOULD THE 4X4 SHOWS NORMALLY OFFER CHEAPER VEHICLES AT THE SHOWS, AS THERE IS ONE COMING TO MELBPURNE SOON, WE COULD CERTINALY HOLD OFF A PURCHASE UNTILL THEN - LOOKING AT THE V8 PETROL
THANKYOU
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 18:13

Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 18:13
Robyn do your research first...know exactly what you want, extra's etc...and shop around for prices...regional centres might offer better deals...last car I bought was the new BA Falcon Ute..I got a great deal from a dealer in Geelong...worked out a price and made sure that I didn't have to pay any extra's or any increase in price.

then..once you have the price...go to the show and see if you can do a deal..you never know...they may be prepared to talk Turkey with you....

We bought our Cruiser from a Regional dealer...we also looked at Auctions....

cheers

AlLaugh alot..life's too short not to....

brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

AnswerID: 31007

Follow Up By: Robyn - Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 19:09

Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 19:09
Thanks Al, yes we're doing the research, been to Geelong, still getting quotes!
FollowupID: 21990

Follow Up By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 21:45

Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 21:45
An interesting question. What are people being quoted for new T\D cruisers or better still what are they really actually paying for them. I was quoted $66k reg on the road for a white auto GXL. This is with a National fleet discount. I would rather buy a white or light coloured 80 Series Multi valve turbo if anyone out there has one for sale. Cheers Rob.Cairns Offroad Training & Tours
FollowupID: 22018

Reply By: stan - Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 18:36

Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 18:36
robyn,
plleeeeeeease my ears!
caps lock key...
AnswerID: 31008

Follow Up By: Robyn - Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 19:10

Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 19:10
Stan? - did you buy the t/d
FollowupID: 21992

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 18:40

Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 18:40
I dont think its a regular, at the last few shows, most things werent even at a discount..

Infact, one LongRange Tank company was selling for MORE at the show than weekdays!!! Dan mate with a surf hit them with the question of show price they stated $50 more than on the Tuesday the week before.

So expect it to be like the easter show. Used to be good for bargains until they reaslied the potential to rip people a new bum hole.
AnswerID: 31010

Follow Up By: Robyn - Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 19:15

Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 19:15
Truckster, thanks for the advice, just thought I'd ask, Could do without the extra you know what, I have enough trouble explaining anatomy to my little blokes now - you know, why we sit down and all!!
FollowupID: 21993

Reply By: Member - Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 20:12

Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 20:12
Generally I go to the show looking for a discount, with something in mond and definitely done my homework on wht its worth, still I must admit I havent shopped for a car, but I did ask for some GU info and got two guys who said they would follow me up and didn't....wonder why they even talked to me.

I have gotten cheap accessories too, hand winch, UHF set, some other odds and sods, and will be looking at lightforce 240's this year....Hope to get better than Truckster's $330 bargain basement price!

Thing at the show is, theres heaps of accessories mobs, so=competition. With vehicles theres makers showing them off=not much or No competition. I would go to the dealers and say you are thinking of buying at the show and what can they offer to get you to buy now.....and see how many times they run up the stairs to "ASK THE BOSS", and make sure they add in the things you want, bullbar, headlight protectors, towbar, etc etc etc cause when ya dealing they do them cheaper than ARB or aftermarket do-ers.

Melbourne Toyota did us a good deal once so try them too!

All the bestSo many places to go!
So much work to do :0(
AnswerID: 31020

Follow Up By: Robyn - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 09:28

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 09:28
Thanks Bonz, Ive had Melb City Toyota on the Phone.
FollowupID: 22032

Reply By: Matt M - Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 20:13

Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 20:13
Robyn, thank you so much for that descriptive image, the smile still lingers!!

Ur a crack up!

Matt!
AnswerID: 31021

Reply By: Member - Eric- Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 21:37

Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 21:37
Robyn , some info from the inside

If you want a new car , dont go and see any dealer , figure out what you want to buy , all the options , colour and so on . Once you have done this, start ringing around . They will ask you to come down , if you do go down to the dealer , they will not bargan as hard ,since the think they have half a chance to sell you something . When its just a inqiuery over the phone , they will do anything to get you there . just quote your best price and tell them to better it to get you there , do this to all the dealers and then get back to them with the lowest price . It will take you around 2 hrs to complete . I guarantee the best deal you will ever do on a car .Craigs hut 2003
AnswerID: 31032

Follow Up By: Robyn - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 09:29

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 09:29
Eric, Thanyou, advice appreciated!
FollowupID: 22033

Reply By: Prado Boy - Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 23:05

Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 23:05
G'day Robyn,

It also pays to work out when there is a slack period in sales - and try to deal with Salespeople around that time. When I bought the Prado I worked out that most Prado sales slow down in September & October before picking up for the Xmas period again in late November/December thru January. If the sales guys are selling heaps they have less incentive to bargain with you. However if you catch them (like I did) toward the end of a month - when they have to sell just one or two more cars to make budget and get their bonuses - then you can really talk turkey with them. You have leverage with both the sales guy and the sales manager (since the sales manager generally wants their sales guys to hit bonuses so they stick around and don't have the costs of rehiring another sales person.). I got nearly $5000 worth of extras on the Prado + nearly $5500 off the price (I was quoted $49K for it in August, bought it for $43.5K) - all because I bought from a sales person who needed 2 more sales to make budget that October - and there was one day to go in the month. Signed the deal on the 31st and walked away quite happy.

It's not hard to work out which sales people will deal. They are generally the ones who drop the price to get you on the lot. Find 2 or 3 yards that will bargain and play them off against each other a little. Then go see the 2 that are dropping their price the most. Know exactly what you want before you go in - and know what it's worth. If you can - find out what the yard has paid to get the vehicle on the lot - and remember they have to make some money otherwise they go out of business.

Also - allow money in the budget up front for the accessories and after market goodies that you want to add later. If thinking of going with AT rubber - ask the dealer if they will put this on for you and what it'll cost. Sometimes they'll do a good deal just to sell you the truck. If not - check what a tyre supplier will do as far a trading in the OEM tyres on AT rubber the day you take delivery. Drive the OEM's for 5000K's and they'll drop around 40-60% of their value as trades.

Fourby's in Brisbane (if you're in Brisvegas) will trade tyres for AT or MT rubber from you this way...

Good luck with your purchase! Hope this helps.
Prado Boy
AnswerID: 31044

Follow Up By: Robyn - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 09:33

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 09:33
Its nearly that time again - October, so I may be in luck, Thanks for all the info, We may start looking at the T/D Prado or second hand Landcruiser T/D, the v8 seems a bit thirsty. Was yours petrol or T/D - We are in Vic - heading north when packed! - in the new purchase
FollowupID: 22035

Follow Up By: Prado Boy - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 22:52

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 22:52
Hi Robyn. My Prado is the 3.0L Turbo Diesel RV (base) model, 2001 vintage. Goes like a charm - great vehicle - goes everywhere I want (which is quite a lot of places because I travel a lot for my photography business).

I believe the current base model GX's sell for about the same dollars these days. One consideration with the Prado over vehicles like the landcruiser or patrol is size - Prado is noticably much smaller inside. This is not an issue for me as I often travel alone so don't have as much gear as most folks. Might be something you need to consider though. If not - the Prado is a great truck and the TD engine we get in Oz - while not really powerful - has VERY good and usable torque which I find handy in tight, slow & tough 4WD conditions.

Major selling point for the TD over the petrol for me was the economy - I have driven 1400K'm between fills before no problems and am currently averaging about 10.4 L/100Km's with quite a bit of that around town. In April this year I drove from Brisbane to Lima East (near Mansfield in Victoria) in a day by myself (1550Km's, 20 hours straight) - filled up once in Gundagai - not that I would recommend this (I had to get there via car in a hurry!). But it proves how good a tourer the Prado is - very comfy and very good economy. On the same trip I travelled through some nice spots in the Victorian High Country too which tested the little beast - but she made it just fine.

Start searching around (on the phone) about now to see what's available and get your lists of features you want together and see how you go. And also - if interested in say a TD Prado - don't be scared to go look at Pajero's and work out what features they've got that the Prado doesn't so you can work the Toyota dealer down on price or get more accessories on your new toy.

Good luck - and enjoy that trip! Cheers,
Prado Boy
FollowupID: 22129

Reply By: Peter L - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 10:06

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 10:06
G-day Robyn,
As stated above it is good to shop at the end of the month when the salesmen etc are looking to meet targets.
We started out visiting dealers, looking at the vehicles and possible OEM accessories, then researched aftermarket accessories until we had a list of "must haves" and "might haves".
The idea is that you seek an all up price for the vehicle with the "must haves" (which are generally things that are easier to install during production), but separate individual prices for the easily added aftermarket type items.

We then documented the vehicle details that were a "must" for us, eg. colour, air con, motor, transmission, cruise control, and separately listed other items which were a "might have" eg Tyres, Bullbar, towbar, brake controller, rear window dust deflector, headlight/Bonnet protector etc. It is IMPORTANT to be very specific with your requirements in this regard or you may be short changed. For example - Towbar - (Hayman reese type) rated at 3,500Kg with 350KG Ball weight.
Bullbar - Alloy - airbag and winch compatible.
In the event that they are not able to provide items that comply with your requirements they can propose an alternative.
You will need to obtain (supplied & fitted) prices from the aftermarket industry for the "might haves"
Once we had our list we were than able to approach dealers for their best price and make it clear that we had done our homework, knew what we wanted and were ready to buy. Surprisingly our best ( and very respectable) initial price (before haggling) for the "must haves" was from an internet inquiry (carsales.com - I think)

One other thing, - there is an updated version of the Landcruiser coming soon - it's possible that the price at the Bris Motorshow was for clearance of old stock.
Again, be specific and know the difference between the old & updated models, there may be bargains to be had.

Good luck
AnswerID: 31212

Sponsored Links