gps holder in a 4runner

Submitted: Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 09:16
ThreadID: 7231 Views:1921 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
hi evry1
Well i got my gps and set it up in the 4by two metal plates either side of the drink holder a bit rushed to get it in there. It was a bit unstable and vibrated quite a bit and blocked access to the heater switches so was not happy plus i lost a drink holder space. I ended up pulling out the drink holder for a look the slides for the holder seemed to be about 12mm so got sum 12mm ply and tested wow neat fit.
I then proceeded to make my own holder ran the ply right to the back of dash made it longer across the dash and a bit deeper 2 screws from underneath up into a metal strip running under the heater vents. the outcome was a very stable platform for the gps and 2 drink holders 1 to fit the larger plastic drink bottle and 1 to fit a can with a stubbie cooler both of which was impossible to do before. Both drink holders just have a bit of 25mm nylon strap screwed underneath and this allows access to the heater as well. Dash clock is blocked but who cares theres 1 on the gps. GONE WOOP-WOOP
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Time - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 10:37

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 10:37
Neil,

I had similar issues with my late dodel Hilux. Ended up using some metal plate bent a right angles (old mobile phone mounting bracket) and attached it to the drivers side end of the dash board, to this I have attached the GPS "swivel" mount. The plate covers the air vent, but the GPS is clearly visible, as are all the gauges and controls. The GPS holder can be swung forward to attach the GPS, and swung back for the GPS to rest against the A pillar (thus stopping the vibrations).

Cheers

Buggerlux
AnswerID: 31069

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 11:47

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 11:47
I have tried all thye fancy brackets and spent hours trying to work out where to fit and fabricate the things. Had them on the dash and console but the vibration concerned me. i found the best and easiest was to purchase a suction mount bracket from a GPS supplier and put it on the windscreen. No problem getting the satellites there either and no problem with the vibration. We have so little time to enjoy our land
AnswerID: 31072

Reply By: Luke - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 20:17

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 20:17
Sounds good Neil,

For other people's reference I use a mobile phone holder from K-mart - Motopro I think. Very stable and secure, mounted on dash with supplied self adhesive mounting tape. Works a treat - and cheap at around $14 bucks :-)

I have one in my boat, and one on the dash of my GQ shorty - GPS just moves between them both.

Fried of mine also has one for his GPS in his boat and mounted on the dash ofhis 60 series cruiser - he's happy with his too.

Cheers,

Luke.
AnswerID: 31157

Reply By: Member - Colin (ACT region) - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 13:06

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 13:06
Looks like everyone has used similar methods.
I have used a mobile phone holder (from Woolies for $8 ??) mounted on a small piece of ply which slides into the drink holder - or I stick the holder on the dash matt using velcro.
I do need to buy an external aerial though, as it looses signal in heavy forest, especially heading South (the Sats are positioned in the Northern sky). Any ideas on best brand price etc. for aerialsSubaru Forester
size isn't everything !
AnswerID: 31317

Sponsored Links