To diesel or not to diesel

Submitted: Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 19:38
ThreadID: 7248 Views:2390 Replies:20 FollowUps:36
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,

As you may be aware from my posts on this forum, I drive the oldest, ugliest and heaviest on fuel 4by for a Forum Member.

Now my 1978 Nissan HWU(Heavy Duty), Marks Coversion 5 speed, is ever so reliable, rugged(agricultural), dustproof(at last), no power steering, no airconditioning, some rattles, and gets around 20l/100km on a good day towing the trailer. I can carry 230 litres of petrol in the 4by and an extra 80 litres in the trailer giving me a 1550km range. Maintenance is very light on the G60 as it just keeps on going and going.

If I had, say $20 grand in the bank, and I traded my road car in as well, I should be able to buy a Nissan or Toyota 4.2 litre around the 1995-98 vintage. If I am lucky, with careful driving, I could see a fuel saving of 5km/l with a diesel. But then I have to add on the extra maintenance costs that diesels enjoy. Not to mention the added costs for possible engine repairs.

Costing fuel out at an average of $1 per litre and deviding that in to my diesel purchase of around $28,000 I would be worse off by 140,000km of travel in my G60.

If I left the money in the bank it will grow by small amounts whereas my new purchase will devalue in worth. My G60 has reached the the bottom of the depreciation level and is not worth anything apart from scrap for spare parts for other users. 140,000km would see me extend the life of the G60 by another 7 years.

Should I go diesel or not?

Any arguments for or against?

Cheers,

Willie
Never a dull moment
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bob - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 19:52

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 19:52
Willem, I am surprised to discover that you are an economic rationalist. If you don't spend the money on the car you only have two other choices: spend it on something else, or leave it to your heirs. If you must factor it in, how much value do you put a price on the enjoyment that a modern diesel will give you?
I say if you can afford it go for it - you thoroughly deserve it.Bob
AnswerID: 31150

Follow Up By: Willie - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 08:27

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 08:27
Thanks Bob,for your feedback.I may be a rough old bushie but I do need to be careful with life matters:-) No doubt I will make a decision one way or another soon.

Thanks also to all the other replies especially those who advocate that life is too short and that money is better to be spent now. Being on the downhill side of life's cycle, I am well aware of that.

The point of the question was whether an upgrade to a diesel would be warranted considering the overall cost factor. Some of you got close with your answers.

I will keep you posted.

Cheers,

WillieNever a dull moment
FollowupID: 22254

Reply By: maverick - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 19:57

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 19:57
willie, you really don't want to let it go do you? i'm not sure about your end of the world but it will be worth next to nothing as a trade in. keep the ol '78 and get something from the early 90s diesel vintage. you will have to paint it up anyway to match the trailer. want to drive something that everyone else has or keep your unique oldie? then again you can upgrade your 'road' car and use your bank money to either have a holiday or invest in something. bye

mark
AnswerID: 31151

Reply By: Mick - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 20:05

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 20:05
Hello Willie,
I think you should stay with what you've got. You have in fact indicated by your argument that that's what you want. It wouldn't be my choice as I've just bought a new TD Prado. I have a greater range than yours using only the standard tanks and on a good day use less than 11l/100. A bad day is 12l/100. I enjoy the power steering and aircon and high comfort level but don't mind "roughing it" either as I also do a lot of touring on my Harley. It's noisy, a bit of a rough ride, not dust proof, cold when it's cold and hot when it's hot.
Now I can afford to buy these vehicles and I'm happy with them. My first 4wd was a 1979 FJ55 and I was also happy with that. I have retired and I suspect that I'm older than you and am thus in probably a better financial state.
My advice to you is - work hard, save your pennies, make wise investments and then if you want to upgrade at some time you'll be able to afford it. But only do it if you think that the money justifies it. If you have to stretch the budget it's not worth it but if you can easily afford it then to me it's a good move. The modern 4wd are really great to drive! Good luck Willie
AnswerID: 31153

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 20:40

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 20:40
"I suspect that I'm older than you"
Mick, you must be pretty bloody old mate :-)Bob
FollowupID: 22100

Follow Up By: Willie - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 20:54

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 20:54
Ahhhh Bob, You do have a sense of humour. Funniest thing I have read all night. :-)
Cheers,
FollowupID: 22106

Follow Up By: Mick - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 22:24

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 22:24
Sorry Willie but I don't know you even though you seemed to think everyone on the forum knows you. I don't know you or anything about you. I assumed that with an old 4wd you were a young bloke. I've retired and like most retirees, having worked all my life and saved, money is not one of my concerns. If I want a new vehicle I can buy it. You sounded as though you were a bit hard up and therefore I thought you were younger than me. If you are in fact older then me you must be in your sixties and I ask, "Where has all your money gone?" or are you just "crying poor"?
Cheers
FollowupID: 22127

Follow Up By: Willie - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 19:06

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 19:06
Yeah Mick, I've been a member of this forum for the past 12 months and contribute on a regular basis on subject matters where I have some knowledge and stay clear of things I know nothing about unless I am stirring.

I am pleased that you have retired well and that you are enjoying the fruits of your labour. My financial position however has buggerall to do with you and the discussiion which I have posted is about whether or not to spend money on upgrading to a diesel.

It is interesting that that you should take this "Holier than thou" attidtude in answering my question condecendingly,but then again, forums are anonymous.

Have a nice day.

FollowupID: 22206

Follow Up By: Browny - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 21:58

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 21:58
Hey Mick,
T'is a shame that having reached your retirement years you haven't learnt any humility, and even with all your money you can't buy any!!

Browny
FollowupID: 22228

Follow Up By: Flash - Saturday, Sep 20, 2003 at 11:18

Saturday, Sep 20, 2003 at 11:18
Yeah, Mick
As I taught my kids, if ya don't have something constructive to say- say nothing. You are obviously in need of every cent you have, because I doubt you'd have any friends who'd do a job for you for friendship's sake.- that is if you have any friends at all!
FollowupID: 22490

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 20:25

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 20:25
Wille,
If you want to get into life cycling costs you will find the diesel will win out everytime, maintenance, economy reliability etc etc, from a costing point of view, if you are looking for power, accelleration and things along those lines then petrol is the go. Diesels are a lot easier to judge fuel economy when doing trips they tend to be pretty consistent, good in water (to a point) and if you go for the GQ type of option spares and add-ons are plentiful, we all talka da same language.
In my opinion I would always go for a diesel, saying that I have an old Rangie as a "bush hack" which I'm contemplating fitting 20 jerry cans on the roof, just in case, WD 40 is an essential accessory.
In my opinion again the later diesels are a lot more costly with the common rail injection system, I would look for the mechanical pump engine, a lot easier to work on and I believe cheaper to fix, these new electronic injection systems are not that good for the bush mechanic approach.
It's your choice Willie, if you want to change I would go for a late 90's GQ if you can find one in you price bracket. I think you will find LC's a bit far out there, they do hold their resale values very well, for some reason. ( light the blue touch paper, stand well back)

Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 31158

Follow Up By: Willie - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 19:38

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 19:38
Thanks Martyn, I appreciate your commonsense feedback.

Cheers,

Willie
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 22214

Reply By: GOB member vic - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 20:53

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 20:53
my 2 bobs worth willie
at least if you get something a bit newer you wont have to worry each time you brake about whether or not diamonds bush mechanical repairs are still working ( sorry diamond)
seriously we just got a new nissan (never thought about NEW ) holiday to darwin and back the different level of comfort was unbelievable after the 89 gq and before that an old mq( and if truckster reads this 2.5ks per litre towing the van with the gq dual fuel or about 45ls p 100ks)any way its a big decision my opinion go for it
steve
AnswerID: 31163

Follow Up By: Willie - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 21:03

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 21:03
Hi GOB,
Thanks for you 2bobs worth.
Diamonds' expertise was to keep a late model fuel injected too bloody fast Commodore on the go.

But that aside...comfort is not a factor in the purchase..spending the money is due to what ever excuses I may find :-))

Cheers,

Willie

Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 22110

Reply By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 20:54

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 20:54
Hey Willie,

Don't worry about trying to justify it cost wise, just imagine jumping in a bit of coil sprung luxury with p/steering & air con .

I upgraded from my old 85 leaf spring Hilux to my T/diesel 80 series & its the best thing iv ever done.

Lash out & enjoy yourself !!!

Kev.
AnswerID: 31164

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 21:51

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 21:51
A good analysis Willie. We know what happened before today and today, we have a rough idea of what might happen next week or next month, but as to what may happen a year from now or five years from now is all a mystery and big guess. Make your decissions now without regrets, make decissions that allow you to sleep comfortably at night and make decissions that really make you happy. No one has ever asked me about my member motto "Carpe Diem", I figured it's because they are all Latin experts and don't need to ask, but I'll tell you anyhow. It means "Live the Day" or "Seize the Moment".
Stick with the diesels. The modern units bring many luxury upgrades and comforts and are becoming very reliable now, but they also bring computers.
Like anything in life, if you look after them they will serve you well. I can bet one thing, now that you have set the processes in action you will do something that can be justify. Enjoy the moment of decision.
AnswerID: 31172

Follow Up By: Member - Wombat (Vic) - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 12:17

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 12:17
G'day Cocka,

How's the grandfathering going? Hope all's well.

I just read your reply to "young" Willem and figured I just had to comment. I think everyone should take a copy of the section "We know what happened before today and today, we have a rough idea of what might happen next week or next month, but as to what may happen a year from now or five years from now is all a mystery and big guess. Make your decisions now without regrets, make decisions that allow you to sleep comfortably at night and make decisions that really make you happy." and paste it over their bed. What a great attittude to life - congratulations! I think your new grandchild will learn a lot from his grandpa.

Just FYI "Carpe Diem" literally translated is "Seize the day" - a great motto to get you through even the worst 24 hours. "Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
FollowupID: 22166

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 13:14

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 13:14
Well said Wombat...indeed we all need to "seize the day" and make the most of it...and some of us are more aware of other's that sometimes life indeed sux and for whatever reason bad things happen to good people...your motto is pretty apt too....life is short and one does indeed need to live it and enjoy it....

Lurch..xLaugh alot..life's too short not to....

brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

FollowupID: 22170

Follow Up By: Willie - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 19:36

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 19:36
Hi Cocka, Wombat, Mr&Mrs Al,

Wow, this is all heavy stuff.....I was envisaging a more simple answer though but I do take note of your messages. For more information on my doings go to my website www.kempen.id.au

My Mum was a Latin scholar and could speak the language and she had an Honours Degree in Applied Mathematics. Sadly though, her son did not fare so well in the learning stakes as his mind was always elsewhere. I got minus 6 for Latin one schoolyear...that is probably why I thought that Carpe Diem meant a dead carp.........just joking of course:-)

Cheers,

Willie
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 22212

Follow Up By: Member - Wombat (Vic) - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 15:29

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 15:29
Maybe I'm a bit warped in the head but I've always wanted to know the Latin translation of "Seize the sausage" just so that I could have it printed on a T-shirt."Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
FollowupID: 22276

Follow Up By: Willie - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 19:09

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 19:09
Wombat,

This is from the 1950's and the memory has faded a tad.

Amo Amas Amat
Amamus, Amatus, Amant

Something to do with love

Or how about

Mensa Mensa Mensam
Mensarum Mensis, Mensis

Of a table, to a table, by a table? Strange language

Here is one for your T shirt

Amo Amas I loved a lass
So sweet, so young, so tender
Amo Amat I laid her flat
And tickled her feminen gender

My uncle told me that one when I was about 5 and it took another 10 years to find out what it meant :-)))

Cheers,

FollowupID: 22295

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 19:18

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 19:18
Willie..I know Wombat is a bit warped in the head...but..geez..I'm blushing after that...and it took you 10 years to figure it out....Laugh alot..life's too short not to....

brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

FollowupID: 22298

Follow Up By: Willie - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 19:35

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 19:35
Mrs Al,
I left myself open there...didn't I?...then again girls grow up a lot quicker, don't they? Once I had it figured there was no stopping me!!

Cheers,

The Latin scholarNever a dull moment
FollowupID: 22301

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 01:21

Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 01:21
Wombat I can give you the latin translations here, they come from SWMBO and this is why I've given up arguing with her, I never know which one to say

AMO - I love AMAS - you love AMAT - he/she/it loves
AMAMUS - We love AMATUS - you love AMANI - They love

Now with that printed all over your T shirt you'd look like an educated hippie.
The sausage one I'm not sure, best I can do is Carpe Digitali

Best T shirt I ever saw was with a cartoon character standing in a puddle up to his knees, the caption - I'm always in the sh1t, it's only the depth that varies.

Carpe Diem
FollowupID: 22318

Follow Up By: Willie - Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 08:44

Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 08:44
How about Carpe Bangerius for Sieze the Sausage....sounds a bit sus, eh?

Willie
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 22323

Follow Up By: Member - Wombat (Vic) - Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 09:50

Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 09:50
"CARPE SALSICIA" - "Seize the sausage"

Now I just have to get a T-shirt big enough."Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
FollowupID: 22329

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 10:17

Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 10:17
personally I like the Gaelic

"GREIMMEY PRONNAG FEILL VUC"

though you'd need a large chest to pull that one off....!!!!Laugh alot..life's too short not to....

brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

FollowupID: 22330

Follow Up By: Willie - Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 19:04

Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 19:04
Mrs Al, and Wombat,

Or how about Afrikaans

"GRYP DAARDIE WORS" (Seize the sausage)

Cheers

Willie

Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 22370

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 19:08

Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 19:08
That takes the cake...or should that be sausage..Laugh alot..life's too short not to....

brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

FollowupID: 22371

Reply By: Member - Al Symers (SA) - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 22:14

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 22:14
G'day Willie,
As I'm obviously younger than you and bob, I'll only put my 2 cents worth.Lol.
I had a similar predicament to yours about 12 months ago. I had a 86 HJ62TD which I dearly loved. It had done 330000k's and not giving me any problems. BUT the CEO kept complaining about the quality of ride from the leaf springs. Questions I needed to answer were to upgrade or spend several thousand on a suspension upgrade. If I spent the money, would I get it or some of it back when I eventually sold it. It was getting a little tired in the electrical stakes and was showing early signs of rust around the roof but otherwise in really good nick.
After a lot of pondering, I decided to sell it privately and buy a 2000 model 100 series and I am happy with my decision.
The financial wizkids will tell you to keep your old truck as it owes you nothing whereas the new one will lose heaps in depreciation anyway.
As you seem to be quite capable mechanically, can you buy a later model diesel motor and drop that into the power train?
I prefer a diesel (my opinion) to a petrol as the day to day maintenance can be done generally by me. I have very basic mechanical knoweldge but I like to play around with it myself although before an extended trip, I will get the local mechanic to check it over. At least if any of my bits go wrong, I know how to repair it.
That lot might come to 5centsAl Symers
AnswerID: 31176

Follow Up By: Willie - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 19:44

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 19:44
Thanks for your 2cents worth, Al,

Yes the old vehicles do get tired and that is why I am soul searching. Needless to say I will come to a decision soon but the thought of having to strip all the goodies off the old girl and to refit them to the newby is daunting.

Cheers,

Willie
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 22215

Reply By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 23:09

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 23:09
Willie

I'm probably younger than you and a few others on this forum. SO WHAT???

Live for the moment. You can't die tomorrow or next week then change your mind about what you wished you had done or could have done when you were alive.

It's your money, enjoy it. Buy a new car if you want it and can afford it. Put it in the bank if that is what makes you happy. Your lucky to have choices.

I could have saved my money instead of buying a good 4 x 4, plus all the accessories and been better off financialy but what's the bench mark? when do you say "i've got enough money in the bank now, think I'll spend some?" I don't know.

I know that if I had saved the money, I would have been better off but I wouldn't have been having as much fun.

If it's what you want, get it Willie. Although, by the tone of your question, I don't really think you want to at the moment.! Do you????

I think maybe you just don't want to part with the old bus. Don't. keep it, save a bit longer and have the best of both worlds.

cheers
AnswerID: 31183

Follow Up By: Willie - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 19:48

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 19:48
Hi Andrew,

Somehow I am not sure what ones age has to do with it? :-)

Yes I am loath to get rid of the old girl but then again I wouldn't mind upgrading. Maybe I'll just buy another vehcile and keep the lot.

Cheers,

Willie
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 22216

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 23:20

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 23:20
No the ugliest is the 55 series cruiser by a billion miles!!!

Diesels arent for everyone, theres an older bloke in cub just got a new TD6 Patrol, from a GQ Petrol, and he hates the diesel, its his first ever.

He probably is taking 5 hours to change each gear, but thats Maurie, hes not into racing! By the time he changes gear, he says its out of the turbo. Then again its probably only being revved to around 1400!
AnswerID: 31185

Follow Up By: Willie - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 19:23

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 19:23
I had a FJ 55 and yes, it was ugly. It was cantankerous and I grew to hate the Aisin Carburettor. It was however the best bush vehicle I have had with plenty of grunt and just the right length wheelbase for crossing creeks and offroading in general. At 550,000km it passed on to the wreckers and I replaced it with an even older Nissan G60!
Cheers,
FollowupID: 22208

Reply By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 07:49

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 07:49
Hiya Willie...not rosie !!! lol

I'm definitely younger than you...and Al is younger than me..[what a thing to admit] and he said ..you should just go for it..if that's what you want to do....

Lyn

[how's that for a technical summary of the situartion !!!]Laugh alot..life's too short not to....

brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

AnswerID: 31198

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 08:57

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 08:57
that should read situation...one too many muscats last night...:)Laugh alot..life's too short not to....

brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

FollowupID: 22157

Follow Up By: Willie - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 08:10

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 08:10
Oh what it is to be young and in a technical situation :-))) Good drop of Muscat, eh?

Cheers,

Willie

Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 22251

Reply By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 09:08

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 09:08
Willie,
You cant take your money with you!
spend it and enjoy it, Once youve had airconditioning you'll wonder why you didnt do it earlier.

Could you get me a new calculator, Mine didnt have enough memory to handle all that data ! did you take into account inflation?Wow! am I cute
If yer ain't fishing, Yer ain't livin
Richard
AnswerID: 31204

Follow Up By: Willie - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 19:53

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 19:53
Hey Richard,

Yes, if you could take your money with you it would probably burn as well.

I have had four 4by's with airconditioning and the units all shook apart and were useless. They normally broke in summer in the heat of things.

Post me your addres through my website www.kempen.id.au and I will send you a calculator. No I did not factor inflation in....silly me :-)

Cheers

Willie
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 22217

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 17:52

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 17:52
I ran your problem past the calculator.... the missus, and she said that us blokes should keep the old trucks and keep the women folk in new.

But, that calculator is only thinking of herself lol lol lol

Wow! am I cute
Richard
FollowupID: 22289

Reply By: Peter L - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 09:14

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 09:14
G-day Willie,

Slightly away from the other responses, but, if you are proposing replacing the Commode AND the Nissan with a more modern 4by then there will be some not insignificant savings in regard to Registration, Insurance, batteries and possibly servicing (One vehicle doing all the travelling of the current two vehicles.
This saving is not a once only & will occurr every year.

(PS I'm 50)
AnswerID: 31205

Follow Up By: Willie - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 18:53

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 18:53
You are not wrong Peter, I have a 1967 Valiant VC as well. Yep registrations are around $1500 per year but all the vehicles are used with the Commodore clocking up the most k's. Before I sell the Commodore though I have to get the bosses permission as it is HER car :-)
Cheers,
FollowupID: 22205

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 17:20

Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 17:20
didnt read this far before....
you left out half the data Willie...
all the other cars and repective rego and servicing costs?
little wonder your abbacus couldnt work it outWow! am I cute
Richard
FollowupID: 22463

Follow Up By: Willie - Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 23:20

Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 23:20
Richard,
If I remember correctly it was YOUR abacus that could not work it out.
Anyway all my vehicles only add up to a quarter of one of yours. I joined a Car Club this week and will now get a good discount on rego for the Valiant. Going to buy another car soon if AI can get it at the right price. Trouble is my yard is filling up....maybe I will have to make room in the flower garden........I think I will be heading for trouble though.
Cheers
FollowupID: 22479

Reply By: uppy - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 20:44

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 20:44
Hi Willie,interesting reading.Ive got a gq 4.2 efi.Iplan to do what you have done,im going to rig my truck out with the goodies and have it for years, even take it back home with me if we return to N.Z..About a few weeks ago we looked at a gu for 29,000.The car sales were only going to trade my for 12,000.thats 17000$ that i can use on goodies trips etc.Having 3 small boys the cash is handie.So what im saying is thaks for the advice,im going to stick with what ive got.Also can you tell what is the largest long range tank i can fit to the gq.as i enjoy doing long trips,Also the power when i need it
regards uppy
AnswerID: 31266

Follow Up By: Willie - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 21:01

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 21:01
Hi Uppy,
I think you can fit a 147litre fuel tank to a GQ but the best bloke for an answer will be Truckster as he has all the good oil on GQ's. My old truck has a 110 litre LR Tank fitted plus the rest in jerrycans.
Cheers
Willie
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 22224

Reply By: uppy - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 21:22

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 21:22
ill post the question on the forum Thanks for the reply
regards uppy
AnswerID: 31270

Reply By: Member - Allan - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 00:13

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 00:13
Willie,
Everyone else has given you their opinion so I may as well add my 10c worth.
I visited a friend in hospital who had his 5th chemotherapy session yesterday. One more session to go and then its ‘keep fingers crossed’. Makes you realise there is more to life then saving money but to get back to your question. If you have the spare cash – go for it. If borrowing the money and it has the potential to stress you then don’t get carried away with anything too expensive or stick with what you have got.
If upgrading my preference would be the 91 – 95 model 80 series or Patrol with 4.2 diesel. They have come right down in price and are not likely to drop much more. Most already have the 'extra's' and spares can be found everywhere. Most importantly is you are still able to fix most things yourself. You will definitely enjoy your trips more with aircon & coil springs and the bride won’t mind taking the wheel with power steering.
In my case I upgraded from my faithful 92 Std 80 series and now I find I spend more time washing & polishing scratches out of the newer one, than using it for what it is actually intended for. There is a lot to be said for vinyl seats & floor mats, wind-up windows and manual mirrors. My advice – Don’t get too carried away but enjoy some of the little comforts of life.
Cheers
Allan
AnswerID: 31286

Follow Up By: Willie - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 19:12

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 19:12
Thanks for you feedback, Allan. I would not contemplate borrowing money as for once in my life I am out of debt. I will just have to nut it out and come up with an answer.
Cheers,
FollowupID: 22297

Reply By: Steve from Drive Systems Victoria - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 08:44

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 08:44
Where to from here??
Either option entails spending money somewhere.
Keep the old girl and spend it on fuel, or
get the diesel and spend it on the purchase.
So, I really think it is not the spending of your hard earned, rather, do you feel like getting a newer vehicle?? You know the answer.
AnswerID: 31293

Reply By: TonyT - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 11:27

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 11:27
Reading thesae posts, well, some people have more money than others- big deal- if I'd stayed in the one boring job all my life and bought real estate I'd have plenty of money too, but chose to travel, experience something of what life has to offer and I had the fun of learning many skills throughout (hope it's not all over yet)- and now I can smarten up the house and flog it and probably still have plenty of cash in the bank to live our travelin' lifestyle (thanks to the property boom)- Willie, get the upgrade but not if it is a financial stress- it's the 'road less travelled' thing cheers TonyT
AnswerID: 31305

Reply By: haze - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 17:43

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 17:43
G,day Willie. Well the pic. of your old girl is in front of me as i pek this. Looks bloody smart too! but if you reckon a change is the go, why not look or even step outside the square? How many disco's do you see on the track these days? how many "failing to proceed"? Have you seen one perform offroad? and where is this inferior build quality so often thrown up? So my suggestion is look at a 97/8 tdi,the price is going to be all in your favour. And to clear up any bias comment, I have a 97 hzj75 tojo as well as the 97 tdi disco. Both getting toward the 150k. mark and not a major problem with either. There is of course one thing you will miss with diesel, and that is all those petrol fills ($50 for the tank, and a stumpy to go!)
One good thing about this forum, there's "never a dull moment" (neverus bordami)
cheers haze
AnswerID: 31341

Follow Up By: Willie - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 18:58

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 18:58
Thanks for your comments, Haze. I have a mate who had a Disco tdi and it never had a problem. They did high mileage in it and it ran up 300,000km plus in four years. Then one day he got a gutful of water from a servo and the engine needed a rebuild. The fuel company paid for the repairs but by then the magic had left the Disco and he traded it.
Cheers
FollowupID: 22291

Reply By: Hoffy - Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 05:19

Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 05:19
Hey Willie,

This has nothing to do with your post however......neither does how old you are or how much money you have...who cares!
I was just surfing looking for something else when I came across a number of your posts with a photo of your old girl (the nissan :)). It gave my heart little jolt and I kept looking at it and looking at it. You didn't happen to find her in Bundy??? I remember her with a full roof rack.

Cheers
AnswerID: 31484

Follow Up By: Willie - Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 07:45

Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 07:45
G'day Hoffy,

Good to hear from you. Tried to contact you once for whatever reason but your workplace understandedly would not divulge your whereabouts.

Yes, it is the same vehicle. Still going strong. Have done 105,000km with it. Rebuilt the engine in 1999. Replaced the front wheel bearings, fitted new front springs and a 110lt long range tank. Recored the radiator and fitted a new starter motor. Have a dual battery system installed and a Brawn winch plus all the other toys that one accumulates.Transfercase is still leaking oil but I am going to repair that soon. The roof rack was rusted and heavy so I discarded that and use the trailer to carry extra gear. She has had a coat of paint and I cut all the rust out and fibreglassed the repairs. One of the best old 4by's I have owned. She towed a 27ft Viscount for a couple of years and has been on a few rough trips here in South Oz and handles the rough stuff with ease.

Are you still in Bundy? You can contact me through my website www.kempen.id.au and I can email you some photos of her. I have converted the back into a storage area and fold up bed.
Cheers,
FollowupID: 22418

Sponsored Links