Toilet and/or shower

Submitted: Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 22:25
ThreadID: 7250 Views:2246 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Here is a basic question for all you seasoned travellers.

I would like to know what you think/feel of incorporating a toilet and/or shower into a van. The people I've spoken to are a 50/50 mix - yes for convenience especially when away off the main paths, night use, when its raining, cleanliness - no for the smell, emptying issues, toilet paper gets damp, water cartage, extra weight in hot water systems, gas bottles.

Never having owned a van or holidayed in one for longer than a weekend, I was interested in knowing what experienced travellers thought.

Mrs Clean.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 22:45

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 22:45
Mrs Squeeky
Best emergency toilet I ever saw was a hard plastic bucket with a lid. If you had to use it inside you just put it outside until morning then gave it a rinse and found somewhere to bury/flush the waste. You could actually make /buy a temporary seat to fit on the edge if you needed such.
As for having a shower in a van, the mind boggles , whatever you do, don't stand in the bucket.Carpe Diem
AnswerID: 31182

Follow Up By: mrdesmo - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 06:59

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 06:59
lol...good one Cocka!!!!!!!
FollowupID: 22140

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 09:03

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 09:03
ROFLMAO!!!

FollowupID: 22158

Reply By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 07:43

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 07:43
Mrs. Clean...

we have a porta potti for emergency's through the night..mainly for the kids...as far as showers it would be handy but you then rob yourself of space....carvan parks have showers and if you are camping somewhere the old campers wash is suffiecient...as far as the units that incorporate the toilet and shower in the one cupboard...YUK...couldn't stand getting my feet wet....Laugh alot..life's too short not to....

brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

AnswerID: 31196

Reply By: flappan - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 09:55

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 09:55
Depends on what your doing.

For out of the way places, its always handy to have a shower and loo available inside the van. If you plan to stay in Parks then probably a waste of time.

As another suggestion, and what my parents have done. Have a special hidey hole for your porti pottie loo, under the bed or in side cupboard, and put a shower on the vehicle. Little to no wasted space in the van.
AnswerID: 31210

Reply By: kiwibiv - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 13:26

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 13:26
We head off next year as permanent travellers with 4WD and 19ft caravan. No kids!! have put a shower/toilet in van but over the wheels. I need a stool but what a godsend on wet days and middle of the nights. Hubby has used the shower once and as he is 6ft 6, found plenty of room. Just happen to be overnighting at a park where the facillities were of questionable cleanliness. Haven't used it myself yet.No smell at all and water runs off our tanks under the van so no extra weight anyway. The gas hot water only took 30mins to be hot enough. Guess it all comes down to what meets your needs. Unless you want to use a portapotty wouldn't put a toilet in without a shower unit. But thats our preference and as the van will be home for next 5-10years we believe its value for money.
kiwibiv
AnswerID: 31222

Reply By: Member - Roger - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 13:43

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 13:43
Hi Mrs Clean,
We have a 16ft offroad van and have a shower tent which doubles as a toilet tent for the porta pot when camped. Lots of camping stores sell what they call a turbo shower which runs off the 12v system and simply pumps water from a bucket through a shower head, simple but efective. Although we have an external shower unit in our van we still keep this unit handy as it doubles as a water pump for filling out of outback creeks(good water) when required. As we carry a metal bucket we often put it on the camp fire and heat water this way (saves gas) for showering and washing up etc. This also leaves the good water in the tanks for drinking. As we tend to camp near streams we use this water for washing etc.
RegardsDodg
AnswerID: 31227

Reply By: macca - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 15:28

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 15:28
Just a quick note on Portapots. If the chemical mix is correct there is no smell and you wouldn't even know there was one on board. We keep one for emergencies but use park facilities when ever.. Out camping the old pommy wash or nurse bath suffices if your really stuck.
AnswerID: 31232

Reply By: clean - Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 12:00

Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 12:00
Thanks everyone for your comments...gives me something to think about.
Clean.
AnswerID: 31658

Sponsored Links