Terrano

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 15:29
ThreadID: 7278 Views:2617 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Well - I have done it - signed up to trade my '91 Terrano for a Terrano II - just waiting on cash to come through - new one is lovely - will miss the old grey girl though - taken us a lot of places - got not much as a trade in but really couldn't afford to wait to sell private - trouble is I know that it will be in the yard for at least twice what they gave me - car salesmen!! scourge of the earth!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 18:29

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 18:29
Congratulations!
I have a Terrano 2 TDI, is yours also diesel? If it is I would be very interested to keep in touch to compare performance, economy etc.
I am very happy with mine, it certainly tows a very heavy duty camper trailer easily.
Only disappointment has been poor airflow throught the cabin, but I have been advised on this forum that there is a replaceable air filter in the system that is most likely clogged. I ordered a new one today.....$76.00 OUCH!
AnswerID: 31346

Reply By: Sancan - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 21:39

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 21:39
Jules,
hello form Turkey as a new comer. I think it is time to have the fun of driving new Terrano, and forget the cash.

I have a 98 Terrano II 27TDi, too. It is quite uncommon in the part of the country where I live. But I am lucky (?) there is an offical service shop in the town.

I would like to share my MAF story and ask any similar experience to the forum: Two months ago, I felt some power loss, at the end of various diagnostic efforts, the local mechanic told me the symptoms exactly ( it was my first visit about the subject)
-power loss during climbing (down shifting)
-low acceleration
and he told me that " we will connect consult and check MAF voltage it wont go up 4 volts even 4000 rpm" he was right, maximum voltage was 3.7.
After changing MAF it easily passes 3.7 and I feel the power.
AnswerID: 31369

Follow Up By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 22:19

Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 22:19
Scancan
Welcome to exploreoz
It's always great to hear from fellow 4X4 enthusiasts from other parts of the world.
Do you do any off-road driving?
I hear that Turkey is a very beautiful country.
Australians generally know very little about your country so please feel free to contribute regularly.
Cheers
OskarMrs Oskar on Big Red
FollowupID: 22400

Reply By: jules - Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 08:18

Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 08:18
Thanks for the follow ups - yes it is a diesel - of course - have read heaps about them, talked to other owners and they all say they are a little gem. can't wait to drive it - probably the first chance will be maybe Melb.Cup Weekend then Chrissy we are heading to Qld - also aware of the air flow problem - have the same problem in our old Terrano - had the air con cleaned out - made a bit of a difference - seeing as there was - in the guys words "half the bl.....y outback in there!" interesting about the MAF? must find out about this? - $76.00? ok price for comfort - does it work - will keep in touch re this forum and let you know how I go - good to talk to someone from Turkey - keep in touch - this forum is a wealth of knowledge -you should try and get to Australia sometime.
AnswerID: 31387

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Sep 20, 2003 at 18:41

Saturday, Sep 20, 2003 at 18:41
Pardon my ignorance! What is MAF?
FollowupID: 22503

Follow Up By: Sancan - Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 15:24

Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 15:24
Sorry Shaker,
while surfing on the net about the subject, I really used to speek three letter English. MAF is mass air flow sensor. In my car it is a wire has been kept at constant temperature, thus the required energy ( electricity) is measured to know how much air mass sucked in.
I am afraid this part ( a Bosch made) has a limited life.
It is just after the inlet air filter on the duct.
Any search engine will give enough links if you type "maf sensor"
Hope it helps.
FollowupID: 22600

Reply By: mal - Sunday, Sep 21, 2003 at 07:49

Sunday, Sep 21, 2003 at 07:49
top car jules iv had a 91 for 3years now done many ks nearly 200,00 no probs
hey can any one tell me where that filter is and can it be done by a mug like me to replace it
the air con filter i mean lol
happy travelling people.
AnswerID: 31600

Follow Up By: jules - Sunday, Sep 21, 2003 at 12:41

Sunday, Sep 21, 2003 at 12:41
Picked my new Terrano II TDI yesterday - it is beeyootiful!!
Black, silver trim - yeh I know - Hot - isn't that what aircon is for?
So smooth and practically noiseless compared. We did about 120,000 in the old one - never missed a beat, never let us down on a trip - would recommend one to anyone looking for a reasonably priced 4wd with lots of accessories. Yeh- what is the MAF filter?
ps - check the trader ads - we got a dickie seat from the new car for sale if anyone is interested.
FollowupID: 22546

Follow Up By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Sunday, Sep 21, 2003 at 19:43

Sunday, Sep 21, 2003 at 19:43
Mal
I'm not even sure that the older (import) Terrano even has an aircon filter.
Someone please correct me.
I have a '92 and it has done a lot of dusty tracks. The air-flow is still fine and I seem to get the approriate amount of dust in the car with the fresh-air vent open.

Cheers
OskarMrs Oskar on Big Red
FollowupID: 22565

Reply By: Shaker - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 22:53

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 22:53
Jules, I ahve solved the fresh air flow problem. If yours has the same problem, replace the pollen filter, very simple job. It has increased the airflow threefold. Hope this is of help.
AnswerID: 31841

Sponsored Links