aircon compressor for tyre pump

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 07, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 728 Views:1962 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I'm thinking of fitting a 2nd aircon compressor as an air pump for tyres, etc. Given that the coolant lubricates the compressor in an aircon system, what lubrication do I need for using it as an airpump?
There was a similar question earlier, which resulted in a link to a website, but I didn't find that a lot of help. Any ideas would be gratefully received. Cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: jono - Thursday, Feb 07, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Feb 07, 2002 at 01:00
when you consider a Blue Toung 3 compressor from Opposite Lock is only about $400, why would you bother doing the aircon compressor. i have two blue toung 3's and they are bloody fantastic
AnswerID: 2007

Reply By: Rod - Thursday, Feb 07, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Feb 07, 2002 at 01:00
Alex, I've used an old aircon compressor as an air pump in my vehicle for the last 6 years (living in Sandgroper country it gets used a lot). The lubricant I use is any of the Teflon additives for engine oil. The compressor dosen't take much to fill up and it dosen't use much.
AnswerID: 2009

Follow Up By: Alex - Friday, Feb 15, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Feb 15, 2002 at 01:00
Where do you fill up the compressor with lubricant and
does it make a difference what type of compressor you have?
I was just going to get any cheap one from a wrecker. TIA Alex
FollowupID: 736

Follow Up By: Rod - Monday, Feb 18, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Feb 18, 2002 at 01:00
Alex, On the body of the aircon compressor there's a 12mm /half inch bolt/plug, fill in there. Before you go and buy one from a wrecker I suggest you checkout Auto Electrical/Aircon repair shops, tell them you are prepared to pay, they'll probably give you one for next to nothing, cause they scrap them.
FollowupID: 745

Reply By: Peter - Friday, Feb 08, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Feb 08, 2002 at 01:00
Alex, I have been looking into this a bit myself and have come to the same conclusion. On the basis that you either already have an old aircon or can pick one up for next to nothing. Again assuming you have the facilities to make up the new brackets, then why would you spend hundreds of dollars on buying one.

I am also thinking of fitting an old aircon to my diesel 80 series wagon (as I have one off an old vehicle). However, there appears to be very little room. I understand it may be necessary to move the existing aircon to make space. I also guess I will need to fit another pulley in front of the existing pulleys on the crank. I would appreciate any help or guidance I can get for the above fitting. Anyone?

Good luck with yours Alex

Cheers Peter
AnswerID: 2013

Follow Up By: Alex - Friday, Feb 08, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Feb 08, 2002 at 01:00
G'day Peter,
I don't have the problem with engine bay space on my vehicle (landrover defender) and I can certainly manufacture brackets for the new aircon compressor. You don't necessarily have to run it off the crank. My advice has been to fit a double pulley on the front of the existing aircin compressor and use a short v-belt to run the 2nd compressor off that. Food for thought, eh? Cheers, Alex.
FollowupID: 701

Sponsored Links