Challenger electrical question

Submitted: Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 09:25
ThreadID: 7308 Views:1819 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
To all the electrically minded kinfolk...

I have a MY01 Mitsu Challenger (which I am very happy with, please no comments on my state of mind!) that has a problem with the 12V outlets. For those unfamiliar, these come standard with 3 12V sockets, 2 in the cabin (one is the obligatory cigarette lighter) and one in the back. Well, sometime ago something went awry and only the ciggie lighter worked. Since I was headed up to Fraser, I thought I would get around to getting in fixed (under warranty). They (the auto sparkies) found a broken pin in the wiring harness or something like that. Anyway, everything worked. Loaded everything up and plugged the 3-way fridge into the rear point (yes I know, won’t work very well without a line direct from the battery, but it has worked satisfactorily in the past). Low and behold, arrive up the there with a warmish fridge, and not power to the 2 points again!!! The point is rated to 120W, the same as the fridge. So my question is….what is going on?? Am I simply melting a pin somewhere (aka the “broken pin”) that was found, and therefore should I give up and replace the wiring? Or did they not fix it properly? Any idea what putting in a heavy duty line to the battery will cost?

Finally, anyone have any idea what a second battery will cost to install? I see you can do it, but it will be a tight fit. At the moment I have an overlander 700 in the cradle, any thoughts about replacing this with 2 smaller batteries side by side?

Thanks all
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Old Jack - Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 11:35

Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 11:35
Dear Tim, I would strongly suggest that you have a freindly auto electrician fit a new seperate twin 6 MM square cable from the battery to your rear outlet to your fridge with a plug in blade type fuse holder as close to the battery as possible. you will get far less voltage drop and a more robust / reliable power supply to your fridge. as for the second battery yes you could get two physically smaller high capacity batteries in if there is enough space, but going to a seperate battery holder if possible with a second large capacity battery would be better.

it all depends on your actual power needs
as for wiring cost, $150.00 or less would probably see you with all good quality cable, marine blade fues holder, labour and a new heavy duty power outlet in the rear.

Don't let the heavy boys bully you over your challenger!
safe motoring:-
Jack
AnswerID: 31502

Reply By: Mick - Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 15:52

Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 15:52
I'd definitely get back to Mitsubishi re the outlets failing. You are well within the stated capacity if you have a Finch or Chescold as they draw 77watts. I have used mine in the back of three Prados for 5 years now and it works just fine including in Brisbane in 35C heat! Mind you the aircon in the Prados is excellent so that probably helps. By all means run a separate line from the battery but don't leave the fridge on without the motor running for more then a couple of hours as they will drain your battery quite quickly. But also get the others fixed under warranty as they shouldn't fail - even if you "overload" them the circuit should be protected by a fuse and it should fail before any damage is done.
AnswerID: 31519

Follow Up By: Member -Ted - Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 16:46

Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 16:46
If it is the same as the Pajero the rear outlet has a fusable link on the rear of it. I pulled half of the car to pieces thiunking I had a broken wire. If you remove some of the plastics in the rear to get to the socket you may find the link has blown. I just soldered a piec of wire in its place. Not a rela problem because it still has a fuse up front. I blew mine using a Chestcold 3 way. Since sold it and got an Engel.
FollowupID: 22603

Sponsored Links