100 series any problems appearing yet.

Submitted: Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 20:00
ThreadID: 7313 Views:2207 Replies:7 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
I believe they went a smaller front diff ? Are there any problems appearing with them at present ? The turbo diesel - how fuel efficient are they ? Also the auto with a diesel - does any glazing issues arise with an auto ?Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
<- Yengo NP, Central Coast NSW
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Simon - Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 22:23

Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 22:23
Dont know about the diff or the glazing?
But the only Toyotas that use more fuel than the turbo cruisers are the petrol cruisers.
AnswerID: 31544

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 22:44

Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 22:44
Search the archives for a thread on plastic diffs in recent week.
AnswerID: 31546

Follow Up By: Chris (W.A.) - Saturday, Sep 20, 2003 at 04:34

Saturday, Sep 20, 2003 at 04:34
Don't forget the infamous water leaks into the 'puters on the 100 series and poxy 5 stud wheels!!Gibb River in July.
Chris
FollowupID: 22483

Reply By: Jayson - Saturday, Sep 20, 2003 at 09:10

Saturday, Sep 20, 2003 at 09:10
Beddo,
I had an RV 1hz 100 from 1998-2002. The only real problem this car had was the power steering pump developed a small leak and was repaired on warranty, no dramas. This was one of the first 100's and it came with the obligatory clutch shudder which Toyota had four attempts at fixing. Knowing what I do now I would have just lived with the original clutch. This is not so much a 100 series problem but can be found on other series tojos too. I had an eaton supercharger fitted to this 1hz and it transformed the vehicles performance but proved unreliable. The motor handled it well but I had four major fails with the blower and its accessories.
After all of this I'd had enough and we decided to get the new facelifted turbo diesel manual (with cautious optimism re IFS) and put our problems behind us.
Good theory but a month or so (3000kms) after delivery the vehicle was using half a litre of coolant per week over about 300kms but the performance was fantastic. Living in Karratha and having no faith in our local Toyota dealerships "Toyota trained" service staff I insisted the vehicle be sent to Perth. After Perth Toyota had the car for some two months it was returned to me with a new long motor and is performing "like a new one". The problem was a small crack in the top of the head which could only be found with the head and rocker gear removed. Toyota's northern regional service manager in Perth - Ray Perkins, has been excellent throughout our five year relationship and I cannot fault Toyota's attempts to solve my car problems over this time.
Driving around Karratha I average about 13ltrs/100kms. On a recent trip to Perth I averaged 15ltrs/100kms loaded and into wind for two days. Driving around the city I recently got 11.6ltrs/100kms which I calculated after getting 1100kms from both the tanks and putting in 127 litres. This is a real 20-30% increase in fuel economy over the 1hz motor and negates the need for a heavy long ranger tank like so many petrol 6 and v8 'cruisers seem to need to compete in range.
I'm now once again very happy with the vehicle and have covered 18000kms in total. I changed all the oils at 10000kms and the only problem I found with the front diff is that it is harder to fill because it's raised but I've got the technique sorted now. I had Toyota raise the torsion bars so they were happy, put poly airs in the back, tough dog shockies all round and got 6.5inch rims from toyota to put my 235/85 V-steels back on. I've found the PROS OF IFS FAR OUTWEIGH THE CONS (being aware of what the cons are) and with a small lift and slightly larger tyres have achieved about a 40mm lift all round. After being stung with the earlier supercharged model I'm reluctant to do anything to this one. If you were towing then maybe the Dtronics would help but really the 1hdt-fte is great perfromer. A small amount of turbo lag in first but after that it's not really a problem. I did drive the previous four speed auto TD 100 and this eliminates lag and perfroms well too, I just like changing gears myself in the bush. The turbo does sound sweet in the Northbridge Tunnel. I,ve never had water leaks in either model nor broken studs but I did break a number of studs on my old surveying wagon 6 stud troopie - which was also a great wagon. Still would like a dogged out RFS diesel ute for shooting and bush bashing and while I do go shooting in the TD I'm just a little bit more cautious. It is a $75000 vehicle after all.
Hope this helps
Jayson
AnswerID: 31556

Follow Up By: Flash - Saturday, Sep 20, 2003 at 10:50

Saturday, Sep 20, 2003 at 10:50
Gee,
It's a bloody good thing only Nissans (supposedly) have problems...
Funny though, I know of atleast six Nissan Patrols personally and all have had no problems at all. - zero!
I know of noone who has had more than very minor problems fixed under warranty. And they didn't cost anywhere near 75 Grand!

Two months without your vehicle- I trust you were compensated accordingly. Me personally- If I was minus my Nissan for 2 months I'd be in big trouble.
Oh what a feeling............
FollowupID: 22485

Follow Up By: Member - Peter [SA] - Saturday, Sep 20, 2003 at 15:57

Saturday, Sep 20, 2003 at 15:57
Well Flash, I suppose thats why Nissan outsell Toyota, LOL
FollowupID: 22498

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Sep 20, 2003 at 21:37

Saturday, Sep 20, 2003 at 21:37
Pete.
cause they sell well doesnt mean they are good, just means people are dumb to believe marketing, anyway 90% of the yotas sold only go from home to school, to the tennis court, to the Cafe' for Latte, and back to school and home...
FollowupID: 22524

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Saturday, Sep 20, 2003 at 22:01

Saturday, Sep 20, 2003 at 22:01
any info on why the blowers failed?
Wow! am I cute
If yer ain't fishing, Yer ain't livin
Richard
FollowupID: 22527

Follow Up By: Member - Ken - Saturday, Sep 20, 2003 at 23:00

Saturday, Sep 20, 2003 at 23:00
Hey! Jayson

Could you please give me the ins and outs of the clutch shudder thing you mentioned.
FollowupID: 22535

Follow Up By: Brett - Sunday, Sep 21, 2003 at 07:36

Sunday, Sep 21, 2003 at 07:36
Yes the Nissan patrols are far better.

That is why you only see the odd one out here in the Bowen Basin Coal area. Obviously the companies associated with coal production and support don't want to knock the Nissans around so they buy Hi Lux and 'Cruisers by the boat load.

I wonder why they do that??
FollowupID: 22540

Follow Up By: Jayson - Sunday, Sep 21, 2003 at 09:47

Sunday, Sep 21, 2003 at 09:47
Please email me at jstanley@kisser.net.au and I'd be more than happy to chat at length about my experiences.
Since this is another thread that started of with a genuine question and immediately deteriorated into another nissan/toyota thing he's my two cents. Yes I too had a GQ from 94-98. Great old wagon, tough as nails, no electrics, wheel shimmy to buggery, very underpowered, problems with the fuel pump, transmission noise, didn't like the pilbara summer, sucked dust better than the Vax but still a good 4by.
FollowupID: 22544

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Sep 21, 2003 at 21:34

Sunday, Sep 21, 2003 at 21:34
Brett only reason is they get a better deal on them, sort of like buying 4 kgs of sausages at the shops.
FollowupID: 22569

Reply By: Member - John- Saturday, Sep 20, 2003 at 20:38

Saturday, Sep 20, 2003 at 20:38
Hi Jeff (Beddo),

I ownHZJ105 (GXL) for 93,000kms with factory diff locks, ranchos' and a 50mm increase in coils. To date, I have had no problems with the vehicle although I have heard from (a reliable source) that the font diff - with diff locked engaged - failed while snatching (backwards) uphill.

Yes, they do run a Hilux diff in the front and I suspect if you want to go to the extremes it might fail.

Glazing is another issue and is dependent on many factors. I don't want to get into the patrol vs cruiser crap as I have owned both and ultimately you drive what you want.

Cheers - JD
AnswerID: 31588

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Sep 20, 2003 at 21:49

Saturday, Sep 20, 2003 at 21:49
Backwards with Difflocks will cause problems often...
FollowupID: 22526

Reply By: Simon - Sunday, Sep 21, 2003 at 13:30

Sunday, Sep 21, 2003 at 13:30
Jeez some people cant answer a question without turning it into a Nissan/Toyota slanging match?

Where in Jeffs question did you see anything asked about a Nissan????

If you want to talk about Nissans start a bloody Nissan thread!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone who slags one type of vehicle against another is just a narrow minded fool!!
AnswerID: 31611

Follow Up By: Geoff - Sunday, Sep 21, 2003 at 19:01

Sunday, Sep 21, 2003 at 19:01
............ there's plenty of 'em around!!
FollowupID: 22562

Reply By: GUPatrol - Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 10:16

Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 10:16
Beddo,
I guess they all went to the Nissan/Toyota war and they never asked your question...
I have a friend with a 100 series petrol model, he looks after it much better than average.
He had three front diffs and on the last one they replaced the whole axle assembly...
He also had two clutches (they did not brake) it was making a noise and Toyota said it was a common problem so they replaced it under warranty.
The second was a fault on the thrust bearing....
During a driver training excercise one of the 100 series cruiser blew the front diff going up a hill in low range.
So I guess there must be a problem with them...
Will
AnswerID: 31650

Reply By: horrace - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 01:58

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 01:58
Jayson, I hope all your problems are solved. I am about to return to Oz after 7 years in South America and have ordered a new manual(yes, i like to change as well) turbo cruiser to be picked up when i land. The idea being me and family will drive from Brissy up to Darwin(our point of departure).Firstly, why Brissy, well after a month on the net from Peru i found that Scifleet in Brissy had the best deal in Oz(it used to be Kalamunda!!)$62k!!! on road plus the sunroof. Now i have worked in mining all my life and am a great fan of cruisers and rollux's(we use mitsy L200 TD here as we're 4600m above sea level) thats why i bought the cruiser having not even driven one in over 7 years.
Lets hope the diff"problem", the clutch "issues" and head "injuries" have been sorted by the guru's in Jap land as it would really put a dampner on our trip home.

Previous to the OS assignment i have owned 60 series 75 troopie and 80 series cruisers, all i can say is look after em and you have zero problems. We have done 3 complete circumnavigations of Oz and lived in remote areas where real 4WD was used and never had a problem except for my own stupidity when crossing rivers that come half way up the windscreen and not having a snorkel!!
The only niggle i have on the newie is will i need polyairs?? 2 adults and 3 kids plus bulk crap = sagging rear!

Take it easy and i'm looking forward to some thick air!
AnswerID: 32273

Sponsored Links