Stickers in tyres - Part 2

Submitted: Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 11:36
ThreadID: 7346 Views:2010 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
A few weeks ago I posted a msg about stickers left in my new BFG's causing flats due to the stickers abrading the tubes (Post ID 6539) I had 2 flats after a lot of corrugations.

There have been a couple of developments since then.

I took the vehicle back to Southern Tyres Mandurah and all the tyres were checked for stickers and new tubes put in. I was told there were no stickers in any of the other tyres.
The next evening I drove about 100km and as I got back into my car I noticed the left rear tyre was flat again. I took the tyre back to the tyre to get repaired. When I saw to the tube I became very irate. It had the same shaped hole as the other "sticker" holes. It was also a cheap Korean tube (hence the reason for it lasting only about 100 km before wearing through) I had Bridgestone tubes in the tyres before all the hassle started.
When I inspected the tyre I found a sticker inside the case.
I came back again the next day, and again had all the tyres removed. This time I personally checked each tyre and found stickers in 3 of them. The other 2 tyres had already had the stickers removed by the tyre repairer in Halls Creek. Bridgestone tubes were fitted to each to the tyres and again I drove away.
The whole fiasco has cost me several hours of my time (changing 3 wheels on the side of the road, 2 of them at night), a number of trips to the tyre shop and having to personally check each tyre to make sure the job is performed correctly.

So a couple of points to note when thinking about BF Goodrich tyres for your Troopy or other split-rimmed vehicle.

1. “Officially, BFGoodrich does not recommend use of our tubeless tyres with tubes”

2. “BFGoodrich Tires has sent out a technical bulletin to all its dealers
regarding this issue.” (The issue being that stickers can cause flats). Unfortunately if the bloke who fits your tyres hasn’t read the technical bulliten you will become very adept at changing tyres.

3. If a tyre shop has “Bridgestone Tyre Centre” on the sign all it means is that you can buy Bridgestone tyres there. It does not mean it is a Bridgestone Franchise.

Burpppp

Cam A.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Geebung - Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 12:12

Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 12:12
Thanks for sharing the research outcomes - all valuable info
and.......just goes to show that some retailers need their fingers broken. Its pretty bad when someone mucks you about big time through ignorance or being just just plain hopeless but when you find they are just humouring you and/or knowingly ignoring you/telling lies......well ...........nobody could blame us for running amok with a meat cleaver !Get me outa these suburbs !
AnswerID: 31660

Reply By: mrdesmo - Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 14:21

Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 14:21
G'day Cam A,
Thanks for the info....though I'm a little confused over your story:
1. “Officially, BFGoodrich does not recommend use of our tubeless tyres with tubes”
Why were you running tubes in tubeless tyres? I'm assuming split rims aren't tubeless (never had them). I'm not trying to be smart, I just might learn something about split rims...and/or BFG's

Cheers
AnswerID: 31674

Follow Up By: srowlandson - Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 14:57

Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 14:57
We used Simex Tudes.

They are about twice as thick as standard tubes and work really well.

I had similar issues above when using olympic etc tubes, haven't has a hole in a tube since going to Simex ones.

They are about $30 each.

Steve
FollowupID: 22598

Follow Up By: Cam A. - Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 17:09

Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 17:09
mrdesmo, Tubes have to be used with split-rims. It is only since I have had all this trouble that I have found out about the BF Goodrich recommendation. I wrote to BF Goodrich asking why the stickers are left in the tyres when it is known that they do cause problems. The reply came back
"Officially, BFGoodrich does not recommend use of our tubeless tyres with tubes.The product is not manufactured for use on split rims and, therefore, continues to come out of the USA with stickers on the inside. As I said, our dealers are aware of this fact"

Unfortunately my dealer wasn't aware of this fact.

Cheers

Cam
FollowupID: 22604

Reply By: David N. - Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 15:58

Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 15:58
mrdesmo??
Split Rims Have to have tubes! They're called "split" because they ARE split. They don't hold air- but do make changing tyres in the bush easier.
AnswerID: 31680

Follow Up By: mrdesmo - Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 18:11

Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 18:11
David N,
Excuse my ignorance then, but from someone who has never had anything to do with a split rim, why would you put a tubeless tyre on a split rim then?
As far as I am aware, the ribbing on the carcass on the inside of a tubeless tyre is enough to cause the tube to prematurely wear out anyway, sticker or no sticker, correct me if I'm wrong. 'Only to be used to get you out of trouble' was what I was told many moons ago.

"Officially, BFGoodrich does not recommend use of our tubeless tyres with tubes.The product is not manufactured for use on split rims and, therefore, continues to come out of the USA with stickers on the inside. As I said, our dealers are aware of this fact"

Unfortunately my dealer wasn't aware of this fact.

So, is it that there is not much choice for tyres on splits?
I might actually learn something here...!!!

Cheers
FollowupID: 22606

Follow Up By: David N. - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 09:28

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 09:28
It's many years since I had a vehicle with split rims, so I'm not "up to speed" on tyre availability to suit split rims.
However, I suspect these days nearly all tyres would be designed tubeless as that's where the demand is. And, tubeless tyres are much safer as they run cooler and don't go flat as suddenly. If you put a nail thru a tube, it's a bit like popping a balloon, whereas many people drive for weeks with a nail thru a tubeless till they notice the slow leak.
Cheers
FollowupID: 22644

Reply By: Member - Royce- Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 10:34

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 10:34
It always amazes me that businesses do not understand 'customer service'. A good business would have immediately made up your time and stress in some way. I think that a refund on all tyres and an abject apology would be sensible. Not for 'nice' reasons, but for the fact that you will never shop there again and statistically your story will pass on to 40 to 50 others who will not shop there either. If they had looked after you with a total refund, apology and maybe a night out for two at a posh restaurant, then you would have been singing their praises and a heap of new business would have gone their way.

Cheers RoyceRoyce www.funshow.com.au
AnswerID: 31737

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 12:03

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 12:03
Cam,

Next time you need tyres, give Tyrepower in Pinjarra a go. We started going there last time we replaced all 4 tyres on our GU and apart from SIGNIFICANT savings over Mandurah prices, have found the service very good. Owner even offered to loan us an extra spare wheel and tyre for a recent trip!

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 31749

Sponsored Links