NM Pajero Exceed

Submitted: Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 16:56
ThreadID: 7353 Views:5821 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
How good are they? Would love one for touring and towing my small tinnie, camping and beach driving. Reliable? Fuel comsumpsion? Servicing costs?
I have a Suzuki XL7 and not happy.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bob - Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 17:13

Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 17:13
I don't have the NM but did have a 93 and a 96 GLS. Both 100% reliable despite being given an absolute hammering. A friend has the petrol NM Exceed and is very happy with it. Again, no reliability issues. Brilliant car to ride in and a great drive. I don't know about servicing costs. I'd go for the diesel auto myself. Expect better than 10L/100km in the diesel.

The old Pajeros were great touring cars that provided comfort, good handling, good rough terrain capability, and extreme reliability. I can't imagine that the current crop would have sacrificed any of those qualities.Bob
AnswerID: 31684

Follow Up By: Member - Vince - Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 19:51

Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 19:51
Hi Muppo. I work at a Mitsi dealership(NOT in sales!!). The diesed autos are the way to go.Plenty of get up & go & good fuel cons.They even look better with a lift kit fitted.
Vince
FollowupID: 22612

Follow Up By: harry5 - Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 22:09

Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 22:09
Hi Bob your right it is a great car I have had 2 NMs both petrol and very reliable, HOWEVER I have just purchased the NP Diesel pajero i have 5000klms on the clock mostly with the van on the back and it is a totally diferent car it out performs the petrol in every department off the traffic lights towing the van it will keep up with the traffic it accelerates up hills the only time now that i put it into manual is to slow down. I have kept some mileage records with the diesel but didnt with the petrol but the wallet seems to think its between 25% & 50% cheaper to run per tankful. Great car but go diesel.
FollowupID: 22632

Reply By: Lyds - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 12:40

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 12:40
If you take an NM into the sand you should do something about protecting the rear bumber or even replacing it.

When hitting any type of slope (either up or down) with enough loose sand, the very plastic bumper may act like a scoop and may tear, pop the taillights, or come off completely.

Cheers,
Stuart
- To err is human, to moo bovine -
AnswerID: 31754

Follow Up By: harry5 - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 22:33

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 22:33
Went and had a look under the Paj. I guess anything is possible but i dont intend to cross the Sahara desert I am a keen (mad) fisherman and have never had any trouble getting on or off the beaches/ferry or up the sandhills to a campsite, mate with a cruiser (spare wheel under) has more trouble.
FollowupID: 22708

Reply By: Froilan - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 23:25

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 23:25
Muppo

My NM Paj is now coming up to 2 y.o. Done some 45000km, 25-30% of which is off-road. Mine is a petrol, with standard tank, so range is not that crash hot. Mainly mountain trails and tracks, and have taken it to Stockton beach a couple of times and had no problems.

I fitted Tough Dog foam cell shocks and coils which gave me around 60mm lift and the Paj goes very well in rough to very rough terrain. Can't say the same with the original suspension setup. Fitted Yokohama Geolandar A/T tires for better traction.

Servicing cost is reasonable, until the 45000km (major) service last week. Cost $1400; replaced brake pads, all oils, grease and fluids, air filter, the works.

Doing Deua National Park in December. Hopefully the NPWS has not closed it yet, due to those idiots who destroyed the place a few months back.

She goes well, just watch the fuel gauge!

AnswerID: 31844

Sponsored Links