exhaust brakes

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 10:17
ThreadID: 7370 Views:1931 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Brakes are wearing quickly on the bigbus. So,,,,,, I'm considering exhaust brakes. I've driven the BigRedFireTruck and the the Really Big Campervan in Tassie and a couple of other rigs and I think they're the go....

So what do you think? A 3 tonne diesel [2H turbo]. Good idea?

Suggestions on how to fit and where to find in Vic. Budget: somewhere a little over $1000.

Ta RoyceRoyce www.funshow.com.au
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tony - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 10:38

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 10:38
Royce, it maybe better to look at putting disc on the rear than going for the exhaust brakes, you will have to change the proportioning valve as well as wheel cylindes (or go the whole rear end off a latter 75 series that already has disc).

AnswerID: 31738

Reply By: floyd - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 13:42

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 13:42
I have never heard of an exaust brake option for a car or 4WD. I know that most smaller 2-3 tonne trucks have them on the 4 cylinder diesel engines though. Check out the small truck wreckers and you should be able to pick up an exhaust brake set up from a 4 cylinder diesel. It will have to have the control unit that links from the excellerator system so as when you take your foot off the gas the brake cuts in. Any aftermarket switch on the dash will be fine for turning it on and off. Be careful though as most trucks run on 24 volt systems and it will not be compatible with a 12 volt car. From my old days of truck driving the best exhaust brakes were on vehicles over 8 tonne with some of the european 24 ton and up trucks having the best systems. The smaller trucks exhaust brakes were usually pretty crappy. Even when the vehicles were completely empty they hardly did much so I would be sceptical of any real benifit of fitting one of these systems to a 4WD. Worth a look into but I reckon a brake reline or a disk rear should give better results. An exhaust brake system may put extra wear on engine and exhaust gaskets too as 4WD's and cars are designed for pretty free flowing exhausts. Good luck
AnswerID: 31760

Reply By: colin - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 14:37

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 14:37
Hi, 4x4 monthly has an ad selling exhaust break for 4wds, i like the idea but money spent better in other places. Col
AnswerID: 31768

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 21:52

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 21:52
yea theres some been advertsed in 4b mags for years, $1100 though!

Wouldnt be hard to make one, just need a flap in the exhaust activated by a solinoid, and a switch, block the pipe and you got an exhaust brake... Thats all the $1100 one is.

YMMV

Hows them muddies?
AnswerID: 31823

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 12:29

Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 12:29
Wearing well Bruce. What about the ones you replaced them with?

If someone's willing to make up the setup you describe.... I'd be happy to pay less..... !Royce www.funshow.com.au
FollowupID: 22808

Sponsored Links