Spotlight - what type and where to get one

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 16:54
ThreadID: 7406 Views:5108 Replies:12 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
On a recent camping trip we had a fox visit our camp one night. Our neighbours kids promptly produced a hand-held spotlight which I was extremely impressed with. Thinking of getting one to include in our camp kit but don't recall ever having seen them on sale anywhere, so where to get one??? Also, can anyone recommend a particular brand/type?

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 17:30

Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 17:30
Depends on what it was Michelle, Supercheap have them as well as hardsare stores over this east side of the country, I was in jaycar this week and they had one there also, rechargeable and lots of candlepower.

Just go huntingLaterally Literal
Seriously Serial
AnswerID: 31898

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 17:32

Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 17:32
Melissa, places such as Super cheap, repco or camping shops sell them either sig lighter plug in or rechargable battery type not shore of best brandRegards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 31899

Reply By: Member - Bob - Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 17:33

Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 17:33
Coleman do a range which are in most camping stores.Bob
AnswerID: 31900

Reply By: Mark - Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 21:51

Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 21:51
I tried a couple of the cheaper hand held spots but they are so bulky & most are only 55watt. Found a nice compact Hella spot light (part No 1520) that puts out 100w. It plugs into the ciq lighter & puts out a lot of light for its size & fits in the glove box. http://www.hella.com.au/ bought it at autoone on special for $65.
Cheers
AnswerID: 31918

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 22:11

Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 22:11
If you want something BRILLIANT, go to the lightforce site and check out the 240's they have as spotties... Not much better than that!
AnswerID: 31926

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 12:16

Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 12:16
Thanks Truckster. They look pretty darn good but the price!!! Don't think I want one that bad, LOL!

FollowupID: 22805

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 20:25

Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 20:25
Melissa,
the 4wd show is in a few weeks!

Wait till then, ask someone from Melb to grab 1
FollowupID: 22981

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 22:21

Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 22:21
Not a bad idea Truckster. The Perth show is on a few weeks after the Melbourne show so I'll have a look around then. Having said that, I'm yet to be convinced that the show offers any real savings over a bit of haggling in the shop!

FollowupID: 22992

Reply By: Harry - Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 22:36

Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 22:36
Truckster's right Melissa, if you want a really bright light and light-weight, then get a lightforce. Re-chargable will be ok, but nothin like a lightforce.
Should be able to get one at fishing tackle shops or a gunshop.
AnswerID: 31928

Reply By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 23:04

Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 23:04
Hi Melissa
For a good spot light you need 100watts (bright & a tight spot).
I dont think a re charge light with good power would last very long.
Any good gun shop should have a range to look at.
CheersPrado TD Auto
AnswerID: 31929

Reply By: Hilly - Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 23:28

Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 23:28
Melissa, I just had the same experience after a trip to the tracks around Collie. My mate produced his and just about vaporised a possum that was nosing about near our tents. A recharchable that came with both a cig light charger as well as 240 volt charger for $16 on special at WA salvage. Unfortunately the sale had finished by the time we headed back from our weekend but it's regular price of $26 was still a bargain IMHO. It ran for about 80 minutes continuous after it's first charge. It has a lock on button so I let it completely discharge. I compared it to the ones in Ranger Camping and it's identical to the ones that they are selling for $55. Same lamp, different package.

Well worth inclusion.
AnswerID: 31931

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 12:19

Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 12:19
Thanks Hilly, I'll go check them out. I expect they can't be compared to the Lightforce that others are recommending but I do like the price and sounds like they'll be good enough for occasional use around camp.

FollowupID: 22806

Reply By: Prado Boy - Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 03:45

Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 03:45
Hi Melissa,
Both my brothers have the Lightforce 170 Spot - Truckster is correct - you cannot beat the lightforce lights. They are expensive however. Have been spotlighting with my brother in Victoria and the 170 he has got provides sufficient light to allow successful shooting of rabits out to 200 metre distance. I imagine the 240 would be much better still.

Cheers,
Prado Boy
AnswerID: 31938

Follow Up By: BJ 71 - Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 12:01

Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 12:01
Hi Melissa,

It depends what you want the spotlight for. Do you want it for wildlife observation or for hunting? If wildlife observation is the objective use a low wattage globe 50w or less as higher wattage globes will distress the animals, if hunting go as high as you like, you are trying to kill it after all. I have used the lightforce handhelds mated to a 12v sealed lead acid battery (motorbike battery) for fauna surveys and they are very good, adjustable beam pattern too. There is a company called 'nocturnal solutions' who put together some good spotlighting kits using lightforce lights, they are a bit pricey between $300-400. You could probably source the parts and make your own for less. If you do all of you observation or hunting from a vehicle then one that uses the car as a power source would be suitable, otherwise you will need a portable power source. If you are intending to use the spotlight for hunting, be aware that there are restrictions in relation to spotlighting of deer that are enforced in some designated hunting areas
FollowupID: 22804

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 12:25

Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 12:25
Prado/BJ,

Thanks for your responses. Seems Lightforce are top notch but way too expensive for my purposes. Really just want one for a bit of spotlighting fun around camp. Thought it could be a bit of good fun (and educational) entertainment for our kidlet (and us). Don't like spending hard earned $ on crap though no matter how little, hence the reason I asked the question. There must be something half decent out there for less $ than the Lightforce...

FollowupID: 22807

Reply By: Member - Geoff & Jen - Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 14:18

Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 14:18
Melissa, I know this has nothing to do with this thread, but thanks for giving us the some honest light on Broome as we are heading in that direction next time. WA is the only state we have not travelled.
AnswerID: 31972

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 14:28

Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 14:28
Geoff,

At the risk of talking the place up, I think WA is the most underated destination in Oz (probably because of the distance) and hopefully you'll agree when you've seen it. Places like the Kimberely and Pilbara really do have that WOW factor that you probably didn't get at Cape York. But be warned, camping and travelling in these regions is dirty, dusty, hot and plenty of flies. The red dust of the Pilbara gets into everything and stains it to what the locals refer to as "Pilbara Pink". The good bits more than make up for it though!

FollowupID: 22811

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Jen - Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 15:10

Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 15:10
Melissa, don't get us wrong we are not scared of dirt and dust, we live in a dirt and animal dust flying area. We have been to many places with dirt, dust and flies in our travels. Initially, I was saying what we had excitedly studied up, looked into, asked questions about, didn't all match up in reality. So next time there will be an open mind as what we come across, if the road is crap, we turn back and forget it. Weather patterns and heavy traffic can change the road and an enviroment in days. Please tell me when were you up at the cape? Just very interesting, as we had met some Exploroz members up there and they were unimpressed with the road conditions also, and the state of the place. Jen
FollowupID: 22814

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 15:29

Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 15:29
Jen,

Agree with your comments re weather and traffic levels changing road environment from day to day. The uncertaintly adds to the adventure though. I did the Cape way back in June 1988 in a convoy of 7 vehicles from Vic although I joined the convoy in Proserpine, Qld. From everything I hear and see, it has changed a lot with much more traffic than what we encountered. A few in our group had minor car trouble but nothing serious. One incident was entirely due to travelling too fast. We all spent a lovely day on TI and were very impressed with the cleanliness and optimism of the place (so much so, I even considered taking a job there). Shame to hear it has gone off so much.

We've been to places that have disappointed but we've also found some totally unexpected gems. Funny how peoples views vary. Your post reminds me that even my husband and I don't always leave a place with the same impression even though we've had the same experience.

Didn't mean to imply you were scared of a bit of dust and flies. Just conscious of talking WA up and not giving you the downside also. When are you thinking of heading over to Broome?

:o) Melissa

Petrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
FollowupID: 22816

Reply By: Member - Geoff - Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 16:30

Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 16:30
Melissa, One (E.O) couple we had a great few days travelling with, have work commitments near Broome. They have asked us to go and visit. We cannot predict when, as this stage, as it depends on summer rains here and income. Jen
AnswerID: 31990

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Sep 30, 2003 at 11:26

Tuesday, Sep 30, 2003 at 11:26
Thanks to everyone who replied. Walked into Supercheap on the weekend and wouldn't you know it, they had a big heap of hand-held, rechargable spotlights piled up on sale. Range included 250,000, 500,000 or 1,000,000 candle power lights with prices ranging from about $25-$35. Anyway, we got the million candle power light and boy is that sucker bright. Perfect for what we are after and didn't break the bank!

AnswerID: 32388

Sponsored Links