FJ40 project

Submitted: Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 23:25
ThreadID: 7461 Views:3150 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
My recent purchase of the shorty is the beginning of a major rebuild. It is to be capable of road, but also a daily driver. Presently running 3.3 cross flow duel fuel which will do for the mean time, the ultimate goal is -at this stage- turbo diesel. In between I will fit lockers, Marks OD on the 4 spd, new suspension, long range tank. Suspension type? reverse shackle or no? OME?, motor type?, should I change diffs from 411's for the lower rev diesel? Have loooked back, too much to check, and a new user.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ross - Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 00:19

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 00:19
I think the petrol and diesel in that model run the same diffs, so dont change until you have the motor in.My choice of motor would be Toyota 13bt which is a turbo 3b version used in a BJ 73/74 which you may have to source from Japan but it would be worth it .If you get the 5 speed g/box with it you wont need an o/drive With the diesel giving 25 mpg it is possible you would not need long range tanks.As diesel is much safer you can usually get by with carrying a couple of jerrycans. 4 cans would give about 400 klms+ and your onboard tank would also go further than on petrol.Suspensions are best left to you as you know your requirements,just look until you cant look anymore because you will save yourself a lot of money.Some of the big names are just that. BIG NAMES = BIG ADVERTISING BILLS=BIG PRICES.On the shackles go the greaseable type.The Lockers arent cheap but there is some being made in Australia called Aussie Lockers but are owned by an American company trading on our good name in 4wd accessories.They arent sold here yet but eventually they will and are about $600 for front and rear that is easy to diy in 4 hours.Thats about a 1/3 of other quotes from BIG NAMES.Initial tests are extremely positive.
AnswerID: 32208

Follow Up By: Taipo - Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 17:46

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 17:46
Excellent, thanks Ross, that looks to be sound advice - answering those niggles in the back of the mind. There is certainly some BIG dollars being quoted out there.
FollowupID: 23028

Sponsored Links