realistic amount to offer for a '94 b/marlin with 115K km's

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 02:22
ThreadID: 7464 Views:1730 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
For those in the know about dealer mark ups and prices.

A 94 cruiser b/marlin with 115 000km on the clock is in a yard for $29,990.
On the weekend its reduced by $1000.
What sort of price could I expect for them to let it go at.
The autoguide "whats it worth" info I have is...
New Price $55520
Average KM 127,000
Private Buy/Sell $18090-22110
Dealer Trade $17400-20100
Dealer Buy/Sell $24700-29640

I know there are diff scenarios as far as how long it's in the yard for
(not very long with such little km's!) What the trade $ was, etc etc.

My realistic limit is $25K, which I have mentioned to them and they
gave me the indication that it wasn't likely.

Some of you have said that dealers like to make around $5000 on something
like this. So can I presume that $25/$26 is really pushing it or I may have a chance.

much appreciated
wolf

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ross - Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 03:44

Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 03:44
The longer its in the yard for the more your chances are of getting it your price.You already answered that for yourself.The price they paid for it is anyones guess,from a debtors auction,deceased estate,trade in,salvaged from an accident??
They will have as much as they can get on it but obviously it will be at least
%10-20
Never tell them your limit .Make them a firm offer and walk away like you dont care and if its still there in a week repeat the offer on a quiet day in the yard.
Let patience be your best friend because if you wait you will get what you want .
Car salesman are trained to pick those who have their heart set on a particular car.Remember the caryards are flooded with 2nd hand L/C so if this one doesnt work out the next one might be better.
AnswerID: 32155

Reply By: Troopster - Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 11:38

Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 11:38
Dogart
I think when buying a car you always have to remember, your always going to get ripped off it's just a matter of how bad you get ripped off.
Some of these car yards need the cops thru them because its day light robbery how they rip people off.
Troopster.
AnswerID: 32170

Reply By: mrdesmo - Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 13:35

Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 13:35
Hi dogart,
Is the Marlin a petrol or diesel? If its petrol, its way overpriced. If its diesel and immaculate, its worth what you want to pay. Low km's...big bonus.
When I bought my 11/92 80series TD it was in the yard for $30k. I got the NRMA report done, did my homework like you have and printed it out and took it with me. I know it would have been bought by them for around $23k/24kish, maybe less, but the vehicle was spot on, immaculate, full history etc, exactly what I was looking for. After 6 weeks of intensive searching for a good turbo diesel, and becoming used to the idea I'd never find one in my price range (same as yours), I decided if I have to pay a bit more, then so be it. I offered them $27k and left him with that. I used the NRMA report as my first weapon: it needs tyres soon, the suspension is 10year old and sagged and it was up for a 200k service. Add that up...around $4k. He carried on like a pork chop, all the usual BS they go on with, but I kept firm. Then I said to him: look, you blokes are making at least $3-4k profit on this car, and I'm saving $3k on your price, I want the car, I have a deposit here now, you take it or I look elswhere..I'm in no hurry blah blah blah, Finally as I was leaving he accepted, I'm a happy customer, he got his sale.
"My realistic limit is $25K, which I have mentioned to them and they
gave me the indication that it wasn't likely. "
Yes....but not unlikely either...be straight up with them, you are the customer and the customer is always right..let them know you've done your homework, it worked for me! And have a cash deposit.....good bait. Even better if you already got your finances sorted, that way its a quick sale for them...
Cheers...good luck.
AnswerID: 32177

Follow Up By: dogart - Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 18:05

Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 18:05
mrdesmo

It's a petrol and it's in very good condition.
The yard sold it to the 2nd buyer with 80K km's who then traded
it on a new patrol.
Haven't asked about service receipts and books as yet.
I did ask the bloke about an extended manuf' warranty and he said $2500!
In todays paper the same yard advertised free 3yr unlimited km mechanical warranty, which he failed to mention when I was there yesterday.
I would have thought this would be a major selling point. So I rang him up
and just verified that the offer was available to the b/marlin, yep.
No matter what car I'll be getting I want the peace of mind and will purchase the extra warranty if I have to. Just have to check on the limit per claim if there is one.
You say it's way over priced for a petrol, what do you think is a resonable $.

cheers
wolf
FollowupID: 22974

Follow Up By: mrdesmo - Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 02:14

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 02:14
dogart,
***Read the fine print on the warranty***
When I bought my last Hilux, I went over the standard warranty, it basically covered me for parts to the value of $500, with one claim per year, for 2 years, provided I got my car serviced by them. Add it up...$200 per service, every 5000 kms (I negotiated this to 10000kms provided I could give them receipts for oil/filter), I'd be doing around 30k per year. Thats $600 for 3 services (6 if I hadn't kicked up a stink) and all they do is change the oil and filter, then charge you for any extras!! The $500 in the warranty was for parts only, I might add. I do my own services, oil $80 for a 20 litre drum, filters were $7-10 for the 'lux. Thats around $30 per service....!!!
However...they offered me the extended warranty, from memory it was going to cost me around $1500. Parts to the value of $800 per claim, but no limit on claims, for 3 years. Once again, only on parts, not labour. Now do the maths again. 3 services $600, times 3 years = $1800, $1500 for the extended warranty, = $3300. Now I figured, I've done my homework, the NRMA inspection said it was a sound vehicle...what will go wrong with a 95 model Hilux that will justify this warranty? An engine failure? A gear box failure? Diff? Possibly...but sure as hell the caryard would be charging you mega bucks for labour and replacement parts when I know for a fact with a bit of shopping around from reputable suppliers, I would get a better deal. Also, have you ever heard of a happy ending with a secondhand caryards warranty claim?? There are abundant suppliers of 80 series parts new and secondhand. Needless to say, I never went back to them for my services...same with my Cruiser (different caryard).
This is my opinion only, and for a second hand car. A new car however, I'd go with the warranty, as you only have to read the horror stories on this forum about things that may go wrong. Just make sure you read and understand the warranty he is trying to flog you...
As for a reasonable price, Dozer has summed that up nicely...over here on the east side, petrol 80's are seriously a dime a dozen, I got the sh*ts seeing so many immaculate examples with lots of goodies on them, low kms for around $20-22k. Glad my patience paid off and I got a gem TD. Perhaps a visit to the east would pay off....
Good luck mate...happy hunting, dont lose too much sleep!!
mrdesmo
FollowupID: 22999

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 13:45

Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 13:45
Gday Wolf
Realistically,if it has books to prove the milage and th previous owner gives it a glowing review - it is worth about 25k private, the yard would have gave the previous owner something like 20 or 22 for it being in such good condition/low kms, and usually 4k is a good markup, but because it is so low kms, they can ask whatever the like.
The blue Marlin has ABS aswell as Sahara type interior, but other than that, it is just accessories added to it. I would shop elsewhere IMHO, because, for instance, you can pick up a GXL in a 94 (same as BM) for 20k, and a 97 for 25k with 150000kms. In 95, the updated dash came out with alot of little improvements to suspension, motor etc
My best advice is to pay the extra to get a well looked after example, and you will be heaps better off than if you bought a later model worn out one.
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 32178

Follow Up By: dogart - Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 18:19

Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 18:19
Dozer
I'm in Perth and the prices I've seen are a bit over what you've quoted.
Some around in the yards at the mo are . . .
'97 gxl auto with 102K km would go for was $36,990 now $33,990
'95 gxl auto with 144K km....................for the same as above
'94 gxl auto with 123K km....................was $29,990 now $27,990
'93 gxl auto with 170K km....................was $27,990 now $25,990

I don't really want to go much over 130K km and wouldn't go private
as there is no warranties

A later model with really low km's (~100K km) would be more around the $'s I can fork out. Wouldn't look at say a 97 with 200K km's, to me that's asking for it!
I know that even a low 100K km cruiser could be thrashed but I would get it checked out no matter what car it is.
Diesel....forget it too many $'s.

thanks for the input everyone

cheers
wolf
FollowupID: 22977

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 12:41

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 12:41
Gday Wolf
Yard prices are allways higher than private, presumably because they offer a means to purchase aswell as a warranty. My prices were private ones, the reasons i like buying private is that, usually, sellers cant afford to cover up body/mechanical damage, but hey, buying private can be a mine field aswell if the proper proceedures are not adhered to....REVS certificate for one, independant accessment of condition is two.
If this Marlin is as good as it sounds, then it is a good buy, so too (for 30k) would be a 2002 model 100 series from www.pickles.com.au (preloved government with 100000kms)
Now thats value, and you will probably meet the car salesman there and bid against him for it :-) wheredayathinkwer mike?
FollowupID: 23012

Reply By: Member - Eric- Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 12:15

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 12:15
If you rang me on that car , I would pay around 21 k for it and hope to sell it to a dealer for 22k , he then will try and make between 3 to 5 K ( depending on your neg. skills ) , hope this helps ,

Ps , Kms are great, if it was a CD update , I would have said jump on it .

Craigs hut 2003
AnswerID: 32225

Reply By: dogart - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 19:56

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 19:56
Well I never!!!

Went to have another look at the Blue Marlin today and WHAT THE!
They now have a ticket price on the dash for $31990. Up by $2000 fom the week before.
The same rep comes over and I say to him, what's with the price rise buddy!
Didn't want to explain only to say that it's out for $28990 in the weekend paper.
Really don't know what they are playing at.
He says "Oh it's prob the best deal you'll every get BS BS BS! The boss will prob
let it go for $28K."
Me says..."I'd never pay $28 for it, still a '94 model, low km's or not!"
and walked off.
AnswerID: 33645

Sponsored Links