rear wheel carrier

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 19:24
ThreadID: 7472 Views:3544 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone know why I can't use the rear wheel carrier off a troop carrier and bolt it onto the barn door of my 100 series cruiser
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 21:45

Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 21:45
SillyBilly,
The 80 series door is not reinforced plus I am not sure that the hinges would take the weight as they were not designed to do so. 80 series barn doors rattle enough without adding the weight of an extra wheel.
We have so little time to enjoy our land
AnswerID: 32194

Reply By: Member - Ken - Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 23:30

Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 23:30
Sillybilly

I purchased a Troopy 3 years ago and as part of the camper conversion process that I put it through, I had a 200lt stainless steel water tank made and fitted where the rear fuel tank would have been factory fitted.

In mine the good old spare tyre and relevant winch was there and had to go.

Where to put the wheel, was the next question.

I conducted a heap of research about re mounting it on one of the rear doors like a factory fitted one.

Short answer was. YES! by all means you CAN do it, as long as you want it to tear bloody great holes in the door skin and/or stuff the door hinges.

The factory fitted ones are reinforced as the above thread says and the hinges, beefed up to match.

Now there are a few options of what you can do with the spare tyre that depend on how you are setting up your vehicle. However thats for you to decide.

Me - I just bit the bullet and replaced the whole back bar with a KAYMAR setup with Spare wheel carrier.

I respectfully suggest that you save yourself a heap of grief and forget any ideas about trying to 'hang' that wheel off your standard door.

regards

Ken Robinson
AnswerID: 32205

Follow Up By: Warpig - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 17:15

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 17:15
I fully concur with Ken. I have an aftermarket, rear-door spare wheel bracket on my 1992 model, and no longer use it for carrying spare wheels as it causes the door to jam closed after an hour or so's worth of corrugations (with some modification it makes a brilliant outboard motor bracket for flushing-out duties at boat ramps, parks etc, so I've left it on). We currently carry one spare under the rear bodywork (not an option in your case), and the parts to change tubes ourselves. On my next troopcarrier, I'll be biting the bullet and getting the Kaymar set up
FollowupID: 23097

Reply By: Slammin - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 00:29

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 00:29
Just out of interest I wouldn't hang it on a troopy door anyway. In only 30k you can see the freeplay, hear the rattles and feel the hard action of brand new troopy doors with spare wheel on, doing 50% central OZ dirt.
AnswerID: 32271

Sponsored Links