diff locks

Submitted: Monday, Feb 11, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 748 Views:1734 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Diff locks for a Toyota 100 Series (Auto diesel).
What are the benefits/dissadvtg of fitting ARB airlockers or Detroit lockers for use in sand and steep rocky trails. Anybody with experience in severe conditions. Bob.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Will - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2002 at 01:00
Bob,
If you know how a diff works and how you can quickly become stuck with two wheels (usually diagonally opposite sides) spinning... you will see that there are no disadvantages (apart from the price) on having diff locks.
There are several types but you cannot use a lockrite on the front of a Cruiser because they are full time 4wd and steering is affected.
By far the best way and the easiest on all your components and most expensive is the ARB airlocker, this setup also gives you an air compressor for your tyres etc.
The advantage of air lockers is that if you are travelling on easy terrain you do not turn it on and the car behaves like it did from factory, the lockrites and similar affect steering all the time regardless of wether if its needed or not.
I don't know if the airlockers are available for the front of the independent suspension cruisers but they are certainly available for the beam axles front and rear....
I have a GU patrol with an air locker on the front and the original LSD on the rear and I have found that on steep rutted terrain you just flick the switch and you no longer have to charge at rocks, you just walk them... you no longer need momentum... You just have to be careful to switch it on only when you need it which is almost never unless you are on very difficult terrain.
Will
AnswerID: 2070

Reply By: Bob - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2002 at 01:00

WILL, thanks for info. I can fit ARB 'Air Locker' to both front and rear. I need to know can they be dissengaged easily when the veihicle has come to a sudden stop on a steep incline and is under severe load? The centre diff takes some time to unlock after it has been disengaged Bob
AnswerID: 2079

Follow Up By: Will - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2002 at 01:00
Bob,
Same as the centre diff, if it is under load it will not disingage easilly, that is why you need to know when to use it and when to disingage it.
Under normal conditions mine disingages straight away.
FollowupID: 724

Reply By: Bob - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2002 at 01:00

WILL, thanks for info. I can fit ARB 'Air Locker' to both front and rear. I need to know can they be dissengaged easily when the veihicle has come to a sudden stop on a steep incline and is under severe load? The centre diff takes some time to unlock after it has been disengaged Bob
AnswerID: 2080

Sponsored Links