Rodeo Diesel EGR Valve

Submitted: Friday, Jan 01, 2010 at 19:11
ThreadID: 74800 Views:9343 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I have the TF Rodeo 2002 with the 4jhi diesel 3 litre motor. It goes great until it hits a hill or head wind on the hwy. It has new fuel and air filter. It struggles to maintain 100kph through hills. Having just returned from Lancelin to Perth WA towing a 12 foot dinghy into a sea breeze which are strong here around the 15 to twenty knot mark it was a foot flat down to maintain 100kph still dropping to 90 on some hills.
Its been on the dyno apparently puts out most of its 96 kw. After the dyno and prior to the Lancelin trip I had a steinbauer chip fitted.
The vehicle is new to me having upgraded from a 1994 TF 2.8 diesel so I don't know whether this is as good as it goes. This model has 4.3 diffs and the old one 4.1 diffs so the new one does not rev as hard.
By comparison it is much quicker to get going than the 2.8 but at 100kph the 2.8 went much better down the hwy and could pull a 1500kg boat and maintain 85 to 100kph
Although It apparently went well on the dyno I would like to know how to check that the EGR valve is operating correctly. I assume it is on the drivers side of the motor behind a heat shield around the exhaust. It appears to be controlled by a rod attached to a vacuum unit There does not appear to be any electric attached to its operation. I tried to move the rod forward and backward by hand with the motor off and it does not move. This rodeo does not appear to have a catalytic converter so its safe to say that's not the cause.
So I would like to know how it works and hopefully be able to ensure it is working correctly.............. Thanks Peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - RobnJane(VIC) - Friday, Jan 01, 2010 at 21:30

Friday, Jan 01, 2010 at 21:30
Hi eter,

Can't help with the specifics with Rodeo, however some of your observations seem worthy of comment.

The 4.3 ratio would in fact cause the engine to run at higher engine speed than 4.1(all other things being equal). I think that when towing (with 96kw), in hills with a cross/head wind then a drop in road speed is reasonable.

When towing in those conditions do you drop to 4th or continue in 5th? Obviously the engine is more able to hang on in 4th in those conditions as it will be developing more output (HP/KW)

Sometimes vehicle comparisons are misleading due to the variables of output, gearing, tyre selection etc all of which will have an impact.

In our experience we 'live' with 3lts performance and it seems to do the job nicely.

Rgds,

Rob
RobnJane

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 397259

Follow Up By: kwk56pt - Friday, Jan 01, 2010 at 22:33

Friday, Jan 01, 2010 at 22:33
You are correct with the diff ratios. I have them around the wrong way. The new one must have the 4.1 diffs as it runs at about 300rpm less than the 2.8 for the same speed. I probably should be in fourth, easy on the motor but more noise than fifth. Speed was the same though on either 4th or 5th.
The 2.8 diesel was 74kw, this one is 96kw unchipped and supposedly 115kw now with the steinbauer. Compared to the 2.8 getting down the highway its dissappointing.
FollowupID: 666094

Reply By: Isuzumu - Friday, Jan 01, 2010 at 21:44

Friday, Jan 01, 2010 at 21:44
Hi Peter, the 4jhi replaced the 4jg2, place a thread on www.clubisuzu.com and a photo of the EGR valve set up. As you know the old Aus 2.8 td never had EGR valves but the import ones did which most of us have removed. Post under Isuzu 4X4 Modifications/ Engines and Exhaust.
As far as the power loss goes, the injectors may need a cleaner put thru them. Hope this is of some help.
AnswerID: 397260

Reply By: Member - Scooby (WA) - Saturday, Jan 02, 2010 at 09:30

Saturday, Jan 02, 2010 at 09:30
Hi kwk56pt,
Sounds like my Hilux, it won't pull the skin off a rice pudding. Are you running larger diameter tyres than standard. I lost hill climbing ability when I went from 255/70R15 to 31x10.5x15. Next time I need tyres I will go back to the standard size.
Regards
AnswerID: 397288

Follow Up By: kwk56pt - Saturday, Jan 02, 2010 at 13:30

Saturday, Jan 02, 2010 at 13:30
This came with 30x10,5x15 tyres. The height of these tyres is lower than the original size 205 x 16 tyres so there should be a slight improvement in its hill climb ability. Any one know when the EGR valve is meant to move. It does not move when the motor is up to operating temp amd I could not see any movement when I ran the motor at 2500rpm while stationary.
FollowupID: 666143

Reply By: Member - Scoot (SA) - Saturday, Jan 02, 2010 at 20:15

Saturday, Jan 02, 2010 at 20:15
We have the same vehicle at work we were travelling back from a job towing a 8x5 tandem trailer through the hills and yes it was so gutless.

We pulled over and stuck a tek screw in the vacuum hose to disconnect the EGR valve and it went better.

We had the experts have a look at it and it came back that can't find any problems with it. It's just a gutless twin cab ute that really is no good at towing much at all.

Cheers Scoot . :-)
AnswerID: 397345

Follow Up By: kwk56pt - Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 00:01

Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 00:01
Yes the experts have told me that there is nothing wrong with it. It battles to maintain 100kph up any kind of hill empty yet it goes ok around town and on the flat, It seems to hit a wall at 100kph, forget overtaking so I get the feeking something is holding it back. I cant see any sign of life in the EGR so I think I will find someone to specifivally look at the egr and tell me whether it is working properly. Touring in this thing is not pleasant, it really cruises like a non turbo diesel. My google search reveals I am not the first to be dissappointed after upgrading from a 2.8 with comments like more power on paper only although some owners seem pleased after having the EGR replaced.
FollowupID: 666218

Follow Up By: Member - Scoot (SA) - Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 18:08

Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 18:08
Yeah know what your saying as ours is a work ute we get plenty of complaints about this ute.
We even got rid of the gorse in the catalytic converter that made no difference at all , waste of time.
Before we stuck a Tek screw in the vacuum hose the boys had to rev it just to take off.
Once we block of the EGR valve it made a big difference to the speed through the gears.

We also have a BT Mazda twin cab and a Ford Ranger twin cab and they are twice the ute the Rodeo is. We will never go anywhere near another one.

Cheers Scoot .
FollowupID: 666301

Sponsored Links