4wd Experiences

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 13:17
ThreadID: 7483 Views:2785 Replies:14 FollowUps:31
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

it's a slow Sunday, Al's in the shed, the kids are "helping" and I started thinking -[dangerous I know..!!] just wanted to know what peoples 1st 4wd experience was, where and when...can be anything...so to start off...mine was several years ago with an ex boyfriend [don't tell Al!!!] it was on his dad's sheep farm up near Glenrowan in Vic. We went spotlighting...first 4wd experience - shooting foxes on a freezing evening....was fun..except for the shooting bit....the farm was pretty ruggered and hilly, lots of rocks to climb over so it was fun driving around in an old 4b ...I was the only female amongst 10 males [not all in the the vehicle I was in!!!] and the language was pretty educational....:))) the whole weekend was really -
...great fun...

Lyn [Mrs. Al]Laugh alot..life's too short not to....

brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bruce and Anne - Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 16:55

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 16:55
Good one Mrs Al, got the old memory bank working. Gee, must have been about 14 out at our friends property, east of Barcaldine, CQ. They had a Landy must have been the first one ever produced (letting my age out here). Three or four boys a couple of girls racing across the paddocks chasing roos, rifles everywhere, people standing up in the back hanging on to the bow rails. What away to learn to drive.
Next I remember I was 17 joined the Army and they threw me into a 6x6 Inter, I was only about 8 stone, crash gear box and of course no power steering, what a buzz. Would like to see kids learn to drive like we did, maybe there would not be so much carnage on our roads.
p.s. we've been away to the Darwin and touring for awhile had a great time cannot wait to go again.
All the best Bruce. MU-ving on
AnswerID: 32231

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce and Anne - Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 17:12

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 17:12
Just remembered had to drive that Inter to Cape York and return before they would give me a T109 licence that is , I think that was in 1972. Have not been back since, but should go back just for the memory.
BruceMU-ving on
FollowupID: 23020

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 17:23

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 17:23
Thanks Bruce...sounds like a fun memory...you're probably right about learning to drive like that....sounds like you had a great trip...

LynLaugh alot..life's too short not to....

brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

FollowupID: 23022

Follow Up By: Martin - Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 20:45

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 20:45
Sorry to bring you back to earth Bruce but when we were kids and learnt to drive the way we did the carnage was about triple what it is now! Remember the 1036 (or similar number) campaign in Victoria aimed at reducing the road toll to below the previous year's total deaths of 1036? That was a long time ago and now I think we are in the 300s! Things have improved and there's no more of the "answer a couple of questions, drive around the block and park outside the station" routine. But it is a romantic memory .... driving old bombs around paddocks, as long as you don't remember all the young kids that were killed doing it!
FollowupID: 23035

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 07:08

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 07:08
Martin..things like seatbelts that we wear now that weren't mandatory then..also car seats for kids...when I was a bub I was placed in a bassinette on the back seat, and as my mum said they believed I was perfectly safe....lots of factors contribute to road death, the design of cars, the way they crumple all sorts of things...but your correct thank goodness its not a case of answering a few questions and drive round the block...in my dad's case, he didn't even have to answer a few questions...Collingwood in the 40/50's he just drove the policeman home after he'd had a skinful!!!!Laugh alot..life's too short not to....

brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

FollowupID: 23052

Reply By: haze - Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 17:00

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 17:00
G'day mrs. al. have just come IN from the shed, time to check the fridge. (ok, I did sample one little while back) But its been a busy day so i reckon entitled!
Yes my first 4wd. experience (real one that is) We (i worked on the farm with the old man) had bought new in 54 a s1 swb landy. I claimed 1/2 ownership,and at easter1958 took off on what was to be a fishing trip to Merimbula (we lived in sale) However 2 weeks later, we (mate who had gone with me) were getting pulled out of the jardine river! What a bloody adventure that was, lived off the land (but grew up with no elec. had a rifle and 12g. at 14) and the old man (now gone 4 years) never new! Sold that same landy 6years ago to a collector. In 230000miles it had never faltered but it could tell some stories!
cheers haze
AnswerID: 32233

Follow Up By: Willie - Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 17:13

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 17:13
Geez Haze, Now I know I'm not the only old bugger on this forum :-))) I was still at school in '58. My first 4by was a Suzi 2 stroke which I bought in '77 in Surfers. My first 4x4 trip was balancing the little car on a dune just north of Main Beach. Yes I know, not very environmentally friendly but that was before we got educated. Used to get bogged on the beach and could lift the rear end of the Suzi out of the sand by myself. Those were the days! My first real bush trip was with the Suzuki Club in Darwin at the end of '77 at the start of the wet season. Was totally unprepared for what that little vehicle could do off road. Was also totally unprepared camping wise but I soon learned and got this thing in my blood for life.
Cheers,
Willie
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 23021

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 17:26

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 17:26
haze...that's a great memory too..don't you love how you can hide things from your parents...and tell them years later...hahaha....I think we've all done that...sounds like a great car too....

I don't know what type of 4b it was that we were in..I'm not sure it knew...ahhaha..but it was fun....

brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

FollowupID: 23023

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 17:27

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 17:27
Willie...you sure have learned...aren't you glad you did....

brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

FollowupID: 23024

Follow Up By: Willie - Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 17:45

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 17:45
Yes Mrs Al, I learned the hard way and in the days when add on to 4by's were just flash tyres and rims. Today, through forums such as this one, you may find a plethora of information to make the learning curve a lot easier!!
Cheers,
WillieNever a dull moment
FollowupID: 23027

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 17:51

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 17:51
You sure can Willie, it has a wealth of information and a lifetime of knowledge that's for sureLaugh alot..life's too short not to....

brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

FollowupID: 23030

Follow Up By: haze - Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 18:09

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 18:09
Willie. That original little suzi 2 stroke was nearly capable of climbing brick walls! But also now a few fishing trips back we were bogged out at Menindee. A local known as Tommy Watermelon had one and reckoned if we stood him a few at the Albermarl he would hook us out in the morning. Well my experience of being bogged (and I had a bit) was a jack an a banjo. This character turns up with what looked like a long bit of webbing strap. Hooked it on somewhere under the front, said to Rod who owned the Falcon, get in give, me a bit of help, got in the suzi and i reckon was nearly in third when this bloody "strap" came tight and that bloody falcon got such a fright it fairly jumped out of that mudhole! Was i impressed?
Of course i realised later I had seen a snatch strap in full action. This would have been about 1975. Didnt know about them then, but sure do now!
cheers haze
FollowupID: 23031

Reply By: Member - Roger - Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 17:24

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 17:24
Hi Gal,
ya started somthin, my 1st try at 4wd was shooting as well. It was in a ww2 GP vehicle. Commonly called a jeep now. However it was not that long ago about 1970 in the hills around Stuart Town N.S.W. going up and down onto the Macquarie River, what we did then one would not be game to try now I am older and wiser.Dodg
AnswerID: 32234

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 17:33

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 17:33
Roger.....there are things that we did back in our youth that we look back at now and think "geez, lucky to have survived that really, what was I thinking"...:)) makes life fun...Laugh alot..life's too short not to....

brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

FollowupID: 23025

Follow Up By: Willie - Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 17:39

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 17:39
Mrs Al,
I thought that you were still in your youth :-))
Cheers,
Willie
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 23026

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 17:50

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 17:50
Willie you smoothy...xxx.....I'm just out of it....:)Laugh alot..life's too short not to....

brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

FollowupID: 23029

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Sep 30, 2003 at 13:05

Tuesday, Sep 30, 2003 at 13:05
Hahahahaha I remember youth....... it was back when I was indestructable and sleep was optional!Laterally Literal
Seriously Cerebral
FollowupID: 23153

Reply By: Member - Eric- Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 19:38

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 19:38
My fiirst intro to off road was on a farm with a Chevy impala for padic bashing , I quickly found out that road cars dont have the ground clearence , and got it stuck on a ledge . My godbrother though he would be a hero and pull it out with a delivery truck. We had no rope and had to use a chain . You guest it , truck got bogged, chain was to tight to undo , so my godfather had to come up with the traktor to pull both cars out . I want alowed near the chevy for a whole week . lol

First time of road.
I had a friend from Cairns ring , and ask if i could purchase him a short W/B Maverick , it was 1989 and my first year in the wholesale market . after I rang him to let him know I got one for him , he kept babilling about how good they were off road . Couriosity got the better of me , and on the weekend I went to visit a friend in Mill Park . We came up with the great idea of testing out the 4 by in a quarry near by. So with our best slacks on we drove into the mud and got the vehicle filthy . I ended up sending the car to Cairns without washing it , with a note inside .......( TRANSFER CASE WORKS JUST FINE ) ............lolCraigs hut 2003
AnswerID: 32239

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 19:59

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 19:59
Which Quarry were you in..I grew up not far from there....

best slacks on...you guys...!!!....

very funny....and that poor chevvy impala, there's a chevvy freak out there somewhere who would have kittens reading that...

thanks...LynLaugh alot..life's too short not to....

brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

FollowupID: 23033

Follow Up By: Member - Eric- Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 21:06

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 21:06
It was at the clay pits if you remeber that area , it was at the end of Main st in Thomastown. Which is where I grew up .

Ps ,I am trying to return your email , but it seams to be playing up Craigs hut 2003
FollowupID: 23037

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 06:55

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 06:55
Eric..!!! I grew up there too....but I was off Dalton Rd.[up near where KFC is now]...Small World indeed!!!...I knew you were a great bloke, you can always tell a fellow Thomastownite....lol [I think there may be someone else on this forum who grew up there too!!]Laugh alot..life's too short not to....

brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

FollowupID: 23047

Follow Up By: Member - Eric- Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 07:27

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 07:27
I lived at the end of Main St. And went to lalor Tech . A old girlfriend of mine lived near you, and went to Lalor HighCraigs hut 2003
FollowupID: 23055

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 07:32

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 07:32
Eric I went to lalor high too....lol....and my cousin when to lalor tech....Laugh alot..life's too short not to....

brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

FollowupID: 23057

Follow Up By: Member - Wombat (Vic) - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 11:19

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 11:19
Hmmmmm! Thomastown born and bred here too Eric . . . . and I went to Lalor High! What was the girlfriend's name?"Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
FollowupID: 23066

Reply By: Member - Al Symers (SA) - Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 20:22

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 20:22
Hiya Mrs Al, If only I could remember my first 4WD experience. I think it was in an old Willies Jeep trying to climb up sheer riverbanks at World's End. I can remember jumping out the back when I thought it was going to tumble back down. In hindsight it was a pretty stupid think to do but I'm a lot older now and a shade wiser as well.Al Symers
AnswerID: 32243

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 06:56

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 06:56
Al...sounds like fun to me....though not as much as fun as Cape L. !! :))Laugh alot..life's too short not to....

brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

FollowupID: 23048

Reply By: athol - Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 20:38

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 20:38
My first experiences I was living I Mt Newman in W.A.(1980) about 19yo my dad had a series 1 soft top landie and the wife and 1yo nipper would borrow it and go camping to various waterholes in the area with only a 2 man tent, esky,tucker box (made out of ply which I still have) an air matt and a piece of foam cut to fit between the mat and edge of tent for the nipper. My brother had a Austin Gypsy decked out in the back with camper setup we used to borrow as well. Then I went all out and bought my own it was an old 55 series L/cruiser with no windscreen and bent diff which I straightened out myself on a press at work then drove it the back way to Wittenoom (still with no windscreen). Its been on going from there but life & camping seems to have been so much simpler and easier back then.

Ahhh those were the days my freinds. Athol.

AnswerID: 32248

Follow Up By: Willie - Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 20:57

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 20:57
I can relate to the 'no windscreen' bit....I was hitch-hiking around Oz in the 60's and a bloke gave me a ride from Norseman to Ceduna in a Valiant ute with no windscreen. Those days there was still around 750km of dirt in WA. Stones from on coming trucks and night insects had to be avoided by ducking down. We drank a lot of beer that night and the road passed in a blurr. Got a fair dose of wind burn :-) AAAhhh those were the days, Athol..........

Cheers,

WillieNever a dull moment
FollowupID: 23036

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 06:58

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 06:58
all these memories...I think they should go into a book!!...lol..I'm enjoying reading this...Laugh alot..life's too short not to....

brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

FollowupID: 23049

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 21:11

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 21:11
Lyn,

You sure started something! My first 4WD experience was doing Cape York and the CREB track back in 1988. Just thought I'd start off with a little trip, LOL. I was living in Qld, my older bro was in Vic and a member of the Goulburn Valley 4WD Club who organised the trip. Anyway, I heard about it and said hey bro, can I come too? He organised a ride for me with one of his mates and we shared costs. Despite the fact I didn't know anyone except my bro and sister-in-law, I had an absolute blast and have been hooked on 4WDriving ever since. In fact, I had such a good time 9 mths later I packed up and moved to Vic and spent just about every weekend for the next 12 mths with the club up in the Vic high country. Later, back in Qld, the 4Wdriving was with mates trying to access fishing spots or a bit of roo shooting/pig hunting or just for a bit of fun.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 32253

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 07:00

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 07:00
Melissa...isn't funny how just one idea can change your life...for the better...bet you've never regretted tagging along for that trip...:))Laugh alot..life's too short not to....

brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

FollowupID: 23050

Reply By: Phil G - Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 21:20

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 21:20
While it wasn't a 4wd, I modified a 1970 Corolla S/wagon for outback travel, inspired by Jeff Carters book of the Great Australian OUtdoors (he drove porsches and LandRovers in the bush!

Biggest trip was in the Xmas of 1978 - went from Sydney to Tibooburra, Cameron's Corner, Old Strez, Inamincka, Cordillo Downs, Birdsville, Marree, Flinders Ranges, Marree, William Ck, Coober Pedy, Alice Springs, Tennant Ck, Townsville, Cairns and down the coast back home - all in 7 weeks during the Uni Xmas break.

The Corolla had extra leaf under the rear springs (lift springs), sump guard, masonite "tropical roof", Covered rear windows (to keep sun out), steel bullbar, canvas water bags, multiple spares, 50 litres water and with two jerry cans of petrol could cover 900+ kms. No fridge - just the water bags, tinned food etc.

It was narrow enough to go around obstacles and light enough to skim over sand. Over dunes, just took a run up and it slid over. The guards underneath took a battering but everything was fine. The fuel tank was protected by the spare underneath. 6 punctures - most repaired as tubeless with a hand pump to reinflate!! One leaky front shock from the corrugated road to Ayers Rock. Got towed thru the Tully River in flood with water up to the doorhandles - plastic sheet over motor -started first time.

Great vehicle - wish I still had it.
AnswerID: 32255

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 07:01

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 07:01
Phil....what a car...would love to see a pic of that....sounds like fun...Laugh alot..life's too short not to....

brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

FollowupID: 23051

Reply By: Member - Bruce (San Diego) - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 13:04

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 13:04
Great stories,

I learnt to dive on the farm in an old Morris Minor ute when I was about 5 or 6, we also has an old Series 1 LR with typically no brakes and used to tow a trailer round the paddock feeding the cows, tie the steering wheel, put it in low first, jump out, climb on the trail while it idled down the paddock hoping you'd finish feeding out the bales before the fence at the other end of the paddock.

When I was about 8 I was going to one of the back paddocks on a hilly section, stopped to close a gate and just left it idling, well away it went with only my big red setter inside, I couldn't catch it so it went about 1/2 mile, and I watched it disappear into a gully, it must have rolled a couple of times and ended upsidedown in a dry creek, the dog got a gash on its head and wouldn't get in any car for months.

When I remember the stupid things we used to do its a wonder we're still alive, driving hundreds of miles to B & S Balls, recoveries and parties always half tanked and driving flat out.

No wonder the road toll was so high back then.

Wouldn't trade it for the world............
AnswerID: 32300

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 13:20

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 13:20
That's a great story too...it's amazing the things people did...ahahhaha...poor dog....

cheers Bruce

brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

FollowupID: 23074

Reply By: haze - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 15:16

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 15:16
Interesting, isnt it? As of this morning I counted the vehicles sort in these "early experiences" Result: landy4, jeep2, suzuki1, tojo55,1,modified corolla1. Couple of other 2wd misadventure ringins. I could add I had a lot of fun with a 49 prefect ute with 2 inline gearboxes. It had a low/low like you wouldnt believe! (used chains a lot) It caught heaps of trout and shot a few deer in the vic. high country,but broke a few front springs too! Memories memories
But hey, where were all the datsun/nissans?
cheers haze
AnswerID: 32320

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 15:19

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 15:19
haze...the same boyfriend had a Datsun 1600, that thing went...I remember flying around some track in the You Yangs...also up around Balmoral in West Vic...good fun...Laugh alot..life's too short not to....

brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

FollowupID: 23083

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Sep 30, 2003 at 13:11

Tuesday, Sep 30, 2003 at 13:11
We're all too bloody old for a Datsun Nissan to be our first 4b experience!!Laterally Literal
Seriously Cerebral
FollowupID: 23154

Reply By: Ruth - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 15:39

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 15:39
Oh Mrs Al, this is fun. Didn't we do something like this a while back - cause I remember talking about driving all around Western Queensland as a 17 year old in my Morris 1100 (got bogged, picked her up and pushed her out - all the kids helped, the ones I was supposed to be governessing!). As for 4WDriving - well, my first experience was in a lwb Landy (like a troppie with canvas top) I was about 15 and Dad and I would go fishing to Double Island Point - we had a camp up there, permanent in those days - just take the fresh food and grog, the rest stayed up there. Well, sometimes I would go up on my own fishing - and there was the time I got bogged right up near the Lighthouse on an incoming tide and discovered I had busted the axle. Phew! in those days you could be there for days before you saw anyone. My luck was with me - how could I tell Dad I drowned the landy - because the 'wormies' came along and did things underneath. I only had 2wd but got me back to camp that night about 9 miles south and with the low tide next morning raced back down the beach and into the garage and got it fic\xed before he found out. So I thought. Nothing was sacred in those days though and he knew about it before I got back. Eventually the Sarg of Police suggested I should stop driving past the Police Station ont he way to the ferry or else come in and get a licence when I turned 17. Haven't stopped 4wd since - although sometimes I've only had 2WD - but can still get plenty of places. It was the roughest most uncomfortable vehicle - with the lowest of low gear boxes - we could get 25 people in it when we were going into "Hatari" country at the back of Noosa. The things we did. We could get 14 into a sabot sailing boat as well, and still get across the Noosa River without sinking. Great memories.
AnswerID: 32321

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 15:49

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 15:49
Thanks Ruth...I don't know if we did something similar..I did do a check, but couldn't find anything, but what the hey..people are enjoying reliving memories I think..and yours is a great one...

cheers

brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

FollowupID: 23086

Reply By: Member - Roger - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 16:43

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 16:43
We will be in the west come June 2004 hope to see you somewhere.
We are coming via the Great Central towing an off road van. So when it gets closer we may be able to exchange nos and eyeball each other. My wife and I are retired and love travlin n meetin people.
RegardsDodg
AnswerID: 32327

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 17:11

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 17:11
Hi Roger, June 2004 we're heading off for our trip up to Kakadu...via Broken Hill, Oodnadatta, then up through Alice...not sure if we'll bump into each other for an eyeball, but I guess we can try...that would be greatLaugh alot..life's too short not to....

brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

FollowupID: 23096

Reply By: Member - Roger - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 16:43

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 16:43
We will be in the west come June 2004 hope to see you somewhere.
We are coming via the Great Central towing an off road van. So when it gets closer we may be able to exchange nos and eyeball each other. My wife and I are retired and love travlin n meetin people.
RegardsDodg
AnswerID: 32328

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Sep 30, 2003 at 13:16

Tuesday, Sep 30, 2003 at 13:16
The Wonnangatta in an old Landy, 4 cylinder, leaf springs, petrol motor, 3 in the front and 4 in the back, absolutely loved it, been in my veins for years! Never forget the rush when the thing was fitted with TURBO and in second at Falls Creek one time it went WHOOSH! most impressive from a brick on wheels.

These days a Nissan and a wistful imagination are all thats needed! Great subject Mrs Al! great stories tooLaterally Literal
Seriously Cerebral
AnswerID: 32400

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Tuesday, Sep 30, 2003 at 13:24

Tuesday, Sep 30, 2003 at 13:24
Thanks Bonz...they are great stories aren't they...I've enjoyed reading everyone's experiences....Laugh alot..life's too short not to....

brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

FollowupID: 23155

Sponsored Links