Hyland Hitch

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 00:16
ThreadID: 74830 Views:4345 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I have purchased a used Boroma van with a hyland hitch. The fitting which the hitch is attached to is upside down which should not be a problem as it rotates 360 degrees. However the actual hitch (which receives the ball) will not rotate at all - it appears to be seized. Therefore, the only way to attach the hitch to the ball at the moment is to fit it with the hitch unit upside down. Has anyone else had problems with the hyland hitch seizing?

How do you replace a hitch when they are welded to the A frame?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Injected - Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 02:43

Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 02:43
Geoff
I put a Hyland hitch on my off road camper trailer. It was the bolt on style and mounted it upside down. It was tight to turn in a rotational direction and the cup that covers the ball was free. Took it to the Cape and it freed up nicely. It may need some grease.
Cheers.
AnswerID: 397385

Reply By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 03:55

Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 03:55
The ball socket is located in the yoke by 2 opposing threaded bolts, threaded into the socket itself.. This allows the fore & aft rotation.. The thing is never going to rotate the full 360º within the yoke, and nor does it need to..

When positioned correctly, there should be a small gap between each side of the socket and the yoke, with a (more or less) equal gap on each side.. This allows all the fore/aft articulation that is necessary..

Has the socket been turned so that it's hard up against the yoke on one side?
If so that will cause it to jam for sure, in which case some force may be required to turn it back the other way...
This more often than not happens when the socket is placed on the ball 'back to front'.. The 'latch' should be at the rear (trailer side) of the ball, and the 'notches' in the yoke facing down when positioned correctly..

If it's centred in the yoke and still siezed, then this is clearly the result of a lack of maintenance (It's fitted with grease nipples for this very reason), in which case the application of some penetrene (or similar) should free it ..I'd suggest removing the grease nipples and get plenty of your chosen penetrating fluid in there..

Where are you located?
If in the Brisbane area, give Darren Hyland a call on (07) 3200 6161, and there's a good chance he'll come to your house and fix it for ya..
If elsewhere, give him a call anyway, and I'm sure he'll do what he can to assist...

;)
Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 397387

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 11:06

Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 11:06
Speaking of penetrating fluid.....

years and years ago when hardware stores were just starting to put in checkout stands and checkout chicks (does anyone remember BBC Hardware in Morley, WA?), I was taking my usual purchases through and I asked the girl (because I couldn't find it anywhere) if she had any penetrating fluid.

Boy, I got the rounds of the kitchen: are you trying to be smutty? You dirty old man (even though I was a young man then).

I think it was time for a few educational meetings between management and staff. I got a laugh out of it......

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 666246

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 13:22

Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 13:22
think I'll let that one through to the keeper......................

;-)))

Confucius say.....

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 666270

Follow Up By: Geofff - Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 17:21

Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 17:21
The ball socket is located hard up against one side of the yoke and it is not moving at all despite wrenching by hand. I have applied lubrication but I suppose I now need to look at greater force?
FollowupID: 666293

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 20:36

Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 20:36
Geoff, it does seem like it's jammed up nice and tight :(

At the risk of stating the obvious, make sure you're trying to turn it the right way ;-)

Due to the way things are oriented sometimes, I've seen more than one person attempt to turn a threaded fitting 'back to front' (tightening when they're trying to loosen)..

I'd suggest get the towbar tongue (w/- ball attached), lock the ball into the socket, and use the tongue for leverage.. if you're turning it the right way it should come loose..

Good luck with it...

:)

Confucius say.....

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 666342

Reply By: JAX W - Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 09:33

Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 09:33
Hullo Geofff

This may not be directly related to your problem, but it may help. We took delivery of our Boroma with a Hyland hitch in July, 2008. The Hyland hitch would not rotate either. The problem was that the grease nipples (wrong thread length) had been installed by some one at Hyland so that they acted like grub screws and locked the shaft in the barrell!! The unit would not rotate as a result.

I could not get grease into the unit as a result, so removed grease nipples to find they were "sealing" against the shaft. Correct size grease nipples solved the problem. I did advise Boroma at the time and assume they advised Hyland.

I have moved on from there and no longer have the Hyland hitch on the van. I have upgraded the hitch and coupling to a 70mm ball etc.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Jack
AnswerID: 397401

Sponsored Links