SOLAREX PANEL SHATTERED GLASS

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 15:34
ThreadID: 7484 Views:4030 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Does anybody know if the protective glass on a solarex solar panel can be replaced without wrecking the solar panel. The glass has bleep tered into small pieces as it is obviously safety glass, I'm wondering if it can be removed and a new glass panel fitted over the solar cells.
Rowdy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mcgra - Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 18:46

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 18:46
the glass is specially coated so using normal glass may not be as effective.
i guess the best thing to do is email them directly or contact the dealer you bought it from.

also thats providing you havent damaged any cells when you broke the glass.

best of
gra
AnswerID: 32237

Reply By: joc45 - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 10:41

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 10:41
I've seen panels with cracked glass work fine.
Guess it just depends on how much damage there is to the glass and whether the damage has extended into the actual cell(s), in which case the panel is stuffed, anyway.
The glass is bonded onto the silicon cells with some sort of silicon compound, forming a flexible hermetic seal, and I reckon you'd destroy the cells trying to replace the glass (the cells themselves are wafer-thin silicon, just like glass).
Gerry
AnswerID: 32286

Reply By: chrisfrd - Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 17:08

Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 17:08
Under no cercumstances should you attempt to replace the glass in a BP or solarex panel!

The glass is a low-iron safety glass specially manufactured for use in solar panels by Dow-Corning and a few other companies. Standard glass will reduce the effectiveness of the panel and removing the glass may actually break the epoxy seal between the cells and the glass or the electrical configuration.

Once these panels are manufactured, they are supposed to be completely sealed to the IP 68 standard, which entails no dust or water can get in. They also are sealed up in a partial vacuum, in a 1% or less humidity environment to prevent corrosion of the metal layers.

AnswerID: 32507

Reply By: Member - MightyQ - Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 23:19

Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 23:19
G'day Rowdy, when all is said and done the world and all it's cotents are meant to be thrown away, as an owner of a solarex panel myself I have been in the same predicament as you.
I generally try and work out other solutions and as a glazier I just went and bought a square of 5mm laminated glass, problem solved, I don't notice any drop in performance in my panel.
AnswerID: 32565

Sponsored Links