Nullabor Rail line

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 19:13
ThreadID: 7485 Views:1990 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
The family and I are going to Perth at Xmas from Melbourne and I want to go up to the overland railline via one of the small tracks from Eyre Hway and along the tracks, then back to the h'way by the next track south. Does any one know if this is possible and perhaps which tracks might be better than others as far scenery, towns(?) on the rail track and ease of this route during the summer months etc. TIA
Andrew
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Al Symers (SA) - Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 20:35

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 20:35
G'day Andrew,
I would think that those tracks would be infrequently travelled at that time of year and it could also be B.... hot. Wouldn't want to be stuck out there for any length of time.Al Symers
AnswerID: 32245

Reply By: Willie - Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 20:45

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 20:45
You have Public Access as far west as Malbooma Siding where you may turn south and access the Eyre Highway via Googs Track. After Malbooma the rail line maintenance track is classified as being privately owned by the Rail Company and I think they are called Southern Rail. Check the Trek Notes on this site.

There are no facilities along the entire railway line as far as I am aware. Both Kingoonya and Tarcoola are ghost towns with limited rail maintenance staff
Cheers,
WillieNever a dull moment
AnswerID: 32250

Reply By: Phil G - Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 20:58

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 20:58
Willie has told you about the South Australian end, The West Australian end is public access between Rawlinna and Kalgoorlie, but like Willie says, The Rail Company owns the rest and threatens to fine people using the track. Rawlinna is easily accessed from Cocklebiddy, but I wouldn't be doing it in summer. No shelter out there, and lots of unsignposted tracks.

If you want to make the Nullabor interesting, then access the tracks south of the highway. Fowlers Bay, Eucla, Twilight Cove are all very nice. Cocklebiddy Cave would be a nice swim on a hot day (need good torches); pity about the 90 metre climb to get out of it!

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 32251

Follow Up By: Willie - Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 21:13

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 21:13
Thanks for that info Phil, I was unaware of the public access west of Rawlinna. Agree with the heat bit. Stay near the coast in summer or you may fry out there!! :-)

Cheers,

Willie
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 23038

Reply By: Member - John- Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 13:59

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 13:59
Andrew,
A group from the LROC of WA did the full length earlier this year, maybe in the Autumn sometime (with or without permission?). The trip was well documented in the club magazine and indications are it was pretty difficult with plenty of staked tyres (old railway dog spikes), bad weather and most of the nation's flies were apparently having a convention on the Nullabor !!

The club committee would probably be happy to provide some info, especially if you are members of an nationally affiliated 4WD club.

At that time of the year I would not like to be around to hear the language emergency services or railways people will use if yoos get into trouble. Do NOT expect sympathy if you are doing this trip in a single vehicle ... there is another word that could be used starting with a lower case "i".

Enjoy the coast !!

JohnS
AnswerID: 32311

Sponsored Links