Darling river in flood

Hi all
Have just seen a report here in Melbourne about the floods up NW NSW area during which they commented about the Darling River being close to max level at Bourke - Is this so ?? Have any members got reports on the levels on the Darling both up & down stream of Bourke particually at Menindee
Cheers all
Mike

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 20:43

Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 20:43
From a friend in Bourke the river is expected to peak on Wednesday at something over 10m. 9m is a min flood.

The weir at Bourke went completely under on Thursday or Friday and the wetland is now flooded.

To put it mildly the locals are ecstatic.

Duncs
AnswerID: 397500

Reply By: Wilk0 - Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 20:52

Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 20:52
Hi Mike,
Bre is running a banker, From local reports, its close to the top of the concrete levee bunds. No chance of going over it though as its going down a bit.

This will be to Bourke in a couple of days

Heard reports that Coona has 6 inches yesterday and its flowing towards Coonamble tomorrow. 200 houses have been evacuated.

This will eventually flow to the Darling so it will be high for the next month or so.

Cheers Wilko
AnswerID: 397502

Reply By: Fred G NSW - Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 21:23

Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 21:23
Mike have a look hereDarling River Flood Water Progress
AnswerID: 397507

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 23:07

Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 23:07
Fabulous news Fred - thks for the link. Have never been in those places but they're on the 'must do' list!

Cheers.
FollowupID: 666378

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 22:22

Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 22:22
Hi Mike
Let us hope that it finds its way down into the Murray. The lower lakes sure need a fresh water ingest. The river systems up that way have been looking very sick for a very long time. That is just what that country needs up there. The graziers will be rubbing their hands together, as there is a very true saying in the country, there is money in mud, but not in dust.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 397516

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 22:28

Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 22:28
Further to my previous response I have just got off the phone with a friend who is involved in co-ordinating recovery efforts in NW NSW. They are most worried about Brewarrina. The information they have is that the river will peak in Bourke at 10.7m which is above moderate flood.

He was saying that they tried to get into Hickey Falls south of Coonabarabran yesterday but the car park was flooded and there was plenty of water over the road. Lapping at the floor of the Paj in places.

Duncs
AnswerID: 397519

Follow Up By: Member - A J- Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 22:51

Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 22:51
Duncs - Hickey Falls ( or Devils Waterhole as known to us as local) comes out the eastern side of the mountains and would not flow into the old Castlereagh river until near Binnaway.

The Castlereagh starts in the northern part of the mountains and flows north to Coonabarabran, then east, south and west to Coonamble.

It will take some time for the water to get to Coonamble - but in 1955 when the river had its last big flood - Coona got big rains and when the water was at Gilgandra they then got heavy rains which caused the flood.

A J
FollowupID: 666372

Reply By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 23:19

Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 23:19
Mike, it is really good to see that there will be some floodwaters heading down the Darling.
Just how much will get to Menindee is another question though.
The water will take around 6 to 8 weeks to get to Menindee.

If you are aware of the different lakes in the Menindee Lakes scheme, I was told the other day that Copi Hollow looks like it will be dry for the first time soon.
That means the water coming down the river now will have to fill up Lake Weatherall, then Lake Pamarmaroo before it gets to Copi Hollow.
And after that it goes into Lake Menindee. Probably been around 7 years since Menindee Lake has had any water in it.

Here is a website with the Barwon-Darling river levels

Barwon Darling River levels

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 397528

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin J (Sunshine Coa - Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 09:14

Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 09:14
Any idea how much might get out of the other end if all these Lakes are currently dry?

Don't know the area but I recall it being reported that a heap of water ended up in the lakes after the floods in Qld last year but none going past into the system. Who uses it or does it just evaporate?

Kevin J
FollowupID: 666404

Follow Up By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 09:48

Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 09:48
Kevin, as I said, the Lake Menindee has been bone dry for around 7 years.

There has been inflows into Lake Weatherall and Lake Pamarmaroo over the last few years, but it has been released gradually on projected figures of more water coming down the river. Unfortunately, some of those projections have not eventuated. The water either soaks in to the dry ground, or it is grabbed before it gets to the Menindee system.

Have a look at the records of the river levels at Wilcannia over the last 7 years and you will see that it has been zero, or less than .5 of a metre for most of that time.

Sure, there is evaporation, the Menindee system is only around 7 - 8 metres deep, about the same depth as some of the weirs around St.George that we saw a few months ago.
You would think the sun evaporates the same amount of water in most of inland Australia due to the fact we haven't got any deep valleys to store water, only comparatively shallow depressions.
It's a very flat land we live in.
I am told our evaporation rate is about 1.8 metres a year, so if you don't top up your swimming pool regularly, it will all evaporate in one year.
By the way, I don't have a pool.

Dave

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 666412

Follow Up By: chisel - Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 13:48

Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 13:48
This article suggests 300 billion litres will go into the Menindee Lakes system
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/rains-will-flood-economy-with-money/story-e6frg6nf-1225815371086

It sounds like a lot :-)
FollowupID: 666458

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 14:03

Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 14:03
Dave,

Beardmore Dam in St George was 8.95m from full on the 28th of Dec 09 as of this morning it is now 1.29m from full capacity. It is expected to be full in the next day or so.

Jack Taylor weir is currentyly 2.95m below max capacity and is expected to be full in the next 24 - 48 hours when Sunwater release water from Beardmore dam.

There is some good water flowing to the north of Surat but South of us here in Chinchilla, in the Condamine river. From what I can gather the wide spread rain has filled all the holes between Surat and St George so hopefully with a bit more rain, water should make it to the Border by the end of the month.

The MacIntyre River in Goondiwindi is also flowing well, not sure if it has made it to Mungindi yet.

The Moonie river is rising slowly around Nindigully and there has been some good rain around Tara in the past 48 hours (70 - 80mm) so this water should flow through in a week or so.

I doubt your favourite Cotton property will harvest water as they do not have the financial assets to do it ;)

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 666464

Follow Up By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 15:22

Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 15:22
Chisel, that really does sound like a lot, but they don't know how much the dry ground will soak up first, so it is an unknown factor how much will come downstream.
The Warrego and Paroo are also flowing, but again how much and for how long.

Kev, that's great news for all those up that way, it should stop a bit of dust blowing through the house for a while. At he very least it should get some feed up for the summer.

Dave

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 666478

Follow Up By: Member - Mike - Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 22:11

Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 22:11
Thanks to you all for the feedback - much appreciated
My only problem now is when to throw the Shippshape onto the top of the cruiser and get up there for a look and capture it all with some video/pics.
At my age another 7+ years might be to late !!!
Cheers 2 U all
Mike

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 666545

Follow Up By: Member - Scrubby (VIC) - Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 22:18

Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 22:18
Dave,lets know when the wier goes over and " I`ll come-a-runnin wiff me rod `n` a bukkit ov worms " :-)

Scrubby
FollowupID: 666547

Sponsored Links