Barrington Tops camping with dog

We are heading up to Barrington Tops for a few days camping and hope to take the dog. I know much of it is in a National Park, but are there any camping areas nearby where dogs are allowed? My map shows Manning Rv Camping Area which appears to be in Barrington Tops State Forest. Anyone have any experience there? Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 21:38

Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 21:38
Serious answer, the only camps allowing dogs are on private property. Much of the freehold bordering these areas now days is owned by seachangers looking at the wildlife as well as the livestock so your chances of scoring on that front are slim.

Paws A While Boarding Kennels
Set on Acreage only 20 Minutes from Newcastle or Maitland
267 Woodberry Road,
Millers Forest, NSW 2324
Ph: (02) 4964 1441

There are people who do take dogs illegally into these areas.

All it does is annoy other campers and endanger the local wildlfie. If you are lucky the rangers won't notice.

They've heard the "my dog isn't like that" story before. Don't go there with the locals.

Sorry if it sounds blunt but it pretty much covers the lie of the land.

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 397654

Reply By: Ozboc - Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 22:00

Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 22:00
Telegherry and lower end of barring ton tops are dog friendly ( were last time i was there ) upper barringtops -- BIG no no for dogs

ladies well , i think you could have a dog --- but a very popular spot ..

fryingpan and coachwood were also dog friendly ... ( last time i was there ) just have to be on a leed ..

Was disappointed with those 2 spots as idiots had been in there a few days before and ripped up all the grass doing circle work and turned the lot to mud .... then idiots set up a noise gen and ran it till 11 Pm every night with stereo blasting and 6 massive spot lights that you could probably see from space ...

hope this helps

Boc
AnswerID: 397661

Reply By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 22:05

Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 22:05
Hi Rodge,

You nearly scored a bulls eye in your original post.

State Forests - Camping and doggies are allowed in State Forests.

Google NSW Sate Forests for lots of info. The forests are a wonderful resource, Chris and I use them a great deal, nice camp spots., Yes, you can take your dog, under control. To top it all off there is no charge, unlike NSW National Parks who seem to be trying to cost people out of using the parks.

Ian.
AnswerID: 397665

Reply By: Gronk - Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 23:57

Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 23:57
You certainly CAN camp in the Barrington Tops with a dog.....Manning River Campground.....state forest....probably only a couple hundred metres from the National Park boundary...although you have to travel thru Nat Park to get there ( so legally you can't stop and let the dog out )

Very nice area, but don't know how busy it would be at this time of year ??
AnswerID: 397681

Reply By: dirttracker - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 10:46

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 10:46
Riverwood Downs is a dog friendly camp ground with heaps of facilities. Look them up on the net. Just came back. Lovely camping by a river.
Martin
AnswerID: 397720

Reply By: Rodge - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 16:34

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 16:34
Thanks for those replies. Might give the Manning Rv campground a go this time, but Riverwood Downs looks good for a future trip. Cheers, Rodge.
AnswerID: 397769

Sponsored Links