Tinnies for Camper Trailers

Submitted: Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 23:55
ThreadID: 74896 Views:9016 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Evening all,

Just wondering what everyones' opinion is for a decent sized tinnie, and what make etc to be able to put on top of a camper trailer with a boat loader? I have been looking at my cape york trailer, and it would seem that if i were to put a boat loader and boat on, i would not be able to open the draw bar boxes. is there a way around that? i am presuming just loosen the boat straps and roll the boat back, but just wondering what everyone else does as i have never had a boat on a camper before, or even a camper. this is my first camper trailer.

John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 00:18

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 00:18
Hi John,
for me personaly..... the tinnie would have to be at least:
1) five times the length of the largest croc
2) five times higher the any croc can jump
3) be impossible to overturn
4) be impossible to sink

mind you the titanic comes to mind... but look what happened to it....

Sorry mate.
Hope someone will give you the answers you need. All the best.
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 397682

Follow Up By: Member - Lotzi (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 10:35

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 10:35
After seeing what them swampdogs do out at Adelaide River, I am with you Fred

Cheers

FollowupID: 666585

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 19:39

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 19:39
Oh rubbish! Come on guys, who ever gets eaten out of a tinnie, even a small one? Answer, NO ONE! Who gets eaten, the people who are to scared to get in a small boat because of the croc's and fish of the bank instead :-) Seriously, the people who get taken either stand in the water and fish or go swimming.
We have a 3.7 Mako Craft(stessle) Edge Tracker/topper tracker , very stable, 70 Kg, Good in river chop and a FLAT sea.
If a large croc takes an interest in your boat move on. Watch when lauching and retrieving and you will have no hassles.

Cheers Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 666644

Follow Up By: Member - Lotzi (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 20:13

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 20:13
Yep your absolutely right Lyndon.

Good fishin Fred.

Cheers

FollowupID: 666648

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 01:27

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 01:27
I was out in Hardies Lagoon in the NT, a place where very large crocs lounge on the banks, when I saw two old blokes in a 3m tinnie. Very clearly a roof topper and fairly obviously two mexicans from south of the boarder tonking around.Well as would have it they caught themselves a large barra - about 85cm by the looks.Well they did not have enough room in the boat for an esky with ice in it, only enough room for themselves and the fishing gear.

In their wisdom to keep the barra fresh in the northern heat they had decided to tie a line through the gills and lash this barra to the side of the boat and drag it back to the boat ramp with their 10hp outboard.

I passed them, slowing down so my wake would not swamp them as they barely had 6 inches of freeboard. I did not hang around to see if they managed to troll up a big croc. They might have been lucky and got back to the ramp.

Just my story on roof toppers. I would not put in the water where crocs might be with a roof topper. Around Darwin boat shops you will often see tinnies (large ones) in for repairs to weld up holes left by croc bites.

David

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 397684

Follow Up By: tonysmc - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 10:11

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 10:11
"Around Darwin boat shops you will often see tinnies (large ones) in for repairs to weld up holes left by croc bites."

I don't know where you got this information, however it is not true. I think maybe some people from the NT are trying to scare the southeners and told you a bit of a furphy. If the crocs were that bad, there would be someone eaten at a boat ramp every weekend as there are hundreds of boats on the water each week.

Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 666583

Follow Up By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 12:49

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 12:49
Hi Tony

When I was living in Darwin I did see on several occasions croc damage on boats and motors in boat yards and repair shops.

Over the years there were often reports in the news of people being taken at boat ramps, popular camping and swimminng spots.

One incident was at the Palmerston boat ramp where a couple were fishing at the base of the boat ramp one Saturday morning. She was sitting on a rock at the base of the ramp and he was walking and casting in some metres away. A smallish 3m croc leapt out if the water and grabbed her. The husband came quickly and beat the croc off and rushed her into Darwin hospital with severe lacerations.

I have personally bent up 2 propellas from hitting crocs in mid river. And have been forced to sit in the boat off from the boat ramp while a 4m croc is sitting on the boat ramp at shady camp.

Crocs are real, they do bite boats and propellas, they will stalk boat ramps where some foolish people fillet their fish, they are not scared of humans anymore, they are rapidly increasing in numbers to be a pest to fisherman.

I think that people from down south just don't take the threat for real because you only see 1 in 10 crocs. Keep an eye out for the other 9.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 666595

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 19:49

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 19:49
Tony, Glad you mentioned the person who go into strife was on the BANK FISHING, not in a boat. I can believe you could hit them a speed, never heard of or seen one attack a boat
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 666645

Follow Up By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 22:01

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 22:01
*****Google is your friend *******

And Lyndon you are right - most attacks happen on the bank and it is unusual for attacks on boats. It happens but most people don't make the headlines. I personally nearly had my 10 year old son taken out of the boat when a 4 m croc parked alongside and was in position to leap. We beat a hasty retreat and left. Other members of the fishing clubs in Darwin will tell similar stories about crocs stalking or bumping or even biting their boats.

If you make it to the Pine Creek museum there is the cowling of a motor outboard all smashed up from a croc.

* By Peter Michael
* November 07, 2009 12:01AM

TOUR operators on the Daintree River face a safety probe after a monster 5m croc attacked a boat and, in a separate incident, a tourist fell overboard."
(Read rest of story on the web)
Quote "Crocs have been known to attack motor boats, and win, against outboard motors. Four metres isn’t particularly big, either, some get up to six or seven, but it’s big enough to take out a human easily." (http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/254980)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 666665

Reply By: Ray - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 08:37

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 08:37
Are you not supposed to keep your tinnies in the fridge??????
AnswerID: 397702

Reply By: Wilk0 - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 09:10

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 09:10
Hi John,

You can purchase swing away boat loaders that raise the tinny over to one side so the camper trailer can be used in the normal way.

There is one in the trader under Misc that Greg B has for sale

Me, I just slide mine on and slide it off when I use the camper. It saves on wieght.

Regards Mike
AnswerID: 397708

Reply By: jabiru340 - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 09:50

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 09:50
Anyone who under estimates what a croc is capable of is a FOOL!

It is THESE people who get taken or attacked.

The FACT is they DO attack boats, they WILL leap out of the water at lightening speed, they ARE very quick on land for short distances and they WILL travel further on land away from the water than people realize.

They MUST be treated with RESPECT and CAUTION.

AnswerID: 397869

Sponsored Links