West Australian rego sticker rules

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 13:27
ThreadID: 74935 Views:9117 Replies:9 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
New Vehicle Licensing/Registration Rules .. 2010

This information can be viewed at http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/yourvehicle/20161.asp.

1. Why haven’t I been issued a registration sticker or disc?
Recent changes to the Road Traffic Act 1974 mean that, from 1 January 2010, owners of WA registered light vehicles will no longer be issued with nor need to display a registration sticker or disc.

2. What is a light vehicle?
Light vehicles have a Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) less than or equal to 4.5 tonnes.
This generally includes:

cars;
motorcycles;
trailers;
boat trailers;
horse floats; and
caravans.
3. Why aren’t registration stickers and discs being issued?

This decision was made because;
WA Police now have the technology to immediately check a vehicle’s registration status using the vehicle number plate details;
The use of technology renders the registration sticker obsolete;
There are environmental benefits in reduced production and wastage; and
Owners will no longer have to struggle to scrape the sticker off.
4. When did this change happen?
Registration stickers and discs are no longer required for light vehicles from 1 January 2010.

5. How will I know when my vehicle registration is due?
Transport will continue to send renewal notices to vehicle owners six weeks before the registration expires.

6. How will I know if my vehicle registration is valid and/or has been paid?
Transport recommends that you retain your current registration papers and receipt details following your payment.

7. How will WA Police know that my vehicle registration is valid?
The WA Police have a number of technological aides to check registration status, including Automatic Number Plate Recognition devices and the new TADIS computer system available in police vehicles and in hand-held units for police on the beat. This system enables the instantaneous retrieval of the current registration information of the vehicle.

8. If I travel interstate, how will local police know my vehicle/trailer/caravan is registered?
All police in Australia are able to access information regarding a WA vehicle registration. However, this may not be available instantly in all instances to police in other states as it is in WA. Transport recommends drivers of WA registered vehicles carry the current registration papers in the vehicle when driving interstate. This will reduce any inconvenience caused to drivers of WA registered vehicles should police in other states wish to confirm the validity of their vehicle registration.

9. If I’m not getting a sticker or disc, do I even need to pay my registration?
Yes, you still need to pay your registration by the due date. The sticker or disc was only used as an indicator of a vehicle’s registration for law enforcement purposes. All vehicles used on WA roads must have valid registration. If you use a vehicle on the road without paying for the vehicle registration you may be committing an offence and you are not covered by a compulsory third party insurance policy.

10. Will my registration be cheaper now that I’m not getting a sticker or disc?
The vehicle registration fees are reviewed annually, including assessment of costs, service delivery and any adjustments for other factors such as CPI increases. The production of vehicle registration stickers and discs forms a small component of the registration fees charged to register your vehicle. While Government will save approximately $2 million over four years by not printing and posting registration stickers and discs, there are over 1.5 million light vehicles registered in WA and the saving per individual vehicle may not be noticeable by the owner.

11. What if I drive someone else’s car? How do I know the registration is valid?
You can ask the owner to see the current vehicle registration papers and receipt details. If the owner is unable to locate the current registration papers and receipt details, they can check the expiry of the vehicle’s registration through an online vehicle registration expiry enquiry service.

12. What do I do if I want to sell my car?
You should always retain your vehicle renewal notice with payment receipt details. When selling a vehicle, you are required to provide these papers (referred to as the vehicle licence) to the new owner.

13. What do I do if I want to buy a car and I am unsure of the registration status of the vehicle?
You should ask to see the current registration papers for the vehicle and this should be provided to you when you purchase a vehicle. If unsure, the owner can check the registration details of their vehicle using the online vehicle registration enquiry service.

14. What about trucks/heavy vehicles?
Heavy vehicles (i.e. all vehicles with a gross vehicle mass of more than 4.5 tonne) will still be required to display a heavy vehicle registration label. This is part of the national charging and enforcement regime.
The heavy vehicle registration label shows the vehicle configuration, make, body type, vehicle identification number, gross vehicle mass, gross combination mass, manufacturer’s gross combination mass and any conditions that apply. Light vehicle registration stickers and discs only showed the month and year of registration expiry.

15. Do I have to take my sticker off now or can I wait until my registration is due for renewal?
It’s your choice! You can remove the sticker on or after 1 January 2010 or you can wait until your registration is due for renewal.

16. My registration expires next year. Will I get a registration sticker or disc?
If you renewed your registration before 1 January 2010, you will still receive a sticker or disc. If you renew your light vehicle registration after 1 January 2010, you will not receive a sticker or disc.

17. I renewed my registration until March 2010 (or after). Can I have a sticker or disc?
Registration stickers and discs will no longer be issued from 1 January 2010.

18. Will Australia Post give me a sticker or disc?
No, Australia Post outlets will no longer issue registration stickers and discs from 1 January 2010.

19. I live in regional WA. Do I need a sticker or disc?
All owners of WA registered light vehicles will no longer need to display a registration sticker or disc from 1 January 2010. This is regardless of whether the vehicle is used in regional or metropolitan WA.

20. My windscreen was replaced and it had a sticker on it. Do I need a new sticker?
If your windscreen was replaced after 1 January 2010, you do not need to obtain a replacement sticker.

Maîneÿ . . .

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Fatso - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 14:24

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 14:24
Sounds better.
In Qld people get fined for not displaying the current sticker properly & also for removing the old one. It used to be a $50 fine for each infringement.
AnswerID: 397900

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 15:17

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 15:17
Ours used to be $25 each way. I renewed my caravan licence due August last year in May, before setting out so i could get a sticker. The answer was they probably wouldn't print them as the system was drawing to a close. No-one questioined our out-of-date sticker which i never got around to removing while we were in the ES.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 666740

Reply By: Fab72 - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 14:46

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 14:46
Yee Haa...common sense has prevailed in one state at least.

Here in SA it is still a requirement to display a sticker, infact, if you renew your rego online and are waiting for a new sticker to come through the mail, it is an offence to display an out of date sticker. In this instance, you must remove the old sticker and be able to produce a receipt number for your online transaction. Which is stupid considering the cops don't have access to the DMR payment systems anyway.

I have been harping on about the wasteful rego sticker for a long time. The only reason I see for them to keep it here in SA is it gives the cops another reason to fine you.

All the other info they require is computer based and available from every patrol car in SA.

And who said WA was behind the times?????
AnswerID: 397902

Follow Up By: Fab72 - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 14:49

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 14:49
Furthermore, with registration periods now available to be paid 3 monthly, it's hard to keep track of sticker changes.
FollowupID: 666735

Follow Up By: DIO - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 18:45

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 18:45
Police do have access to MRD and all relevant records. Once the money has been paid they will know if they check.
FollowupID: 666773

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 14:56

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 14:56
What with saving $500 000 dollars per year on rego stickers and then all the money the police make from the new speed cameras they must be rolling in dough.

Oh thats right - the police don't get to keep any of that money - it all goes straight to the government. Then the police have to go cap in hand and try to get a few shillings extra to help support trouble spots.

I heard one politician here in WA refurbished his office when he moved in at a cost to the taxpayer of $600 000. The same offices had been vacated by another politician and had been refurbished 12months before at a cost of $400 000.

Lucky us ordinary people are saving some money.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 397905

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 15:23

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 15:23
And good old Queen Lizzy still sits on a throne made by Sir Thomas Crapper ,
FollowupID: 666741

Reply By: Member - ross m (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 15:57

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 15:57
You sure about this?
I was at the post office last week and the lady behind the counter said the WA govt had changed their minds at the last minute due to problems with WA drivers travelling in other states and not having a sticker.
I have to pay for 2 vehicles this month so Im keen to see what will happen.

Your link is dead
AnswerID: 397916

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 18:44

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 18:44
Ross
check out the link I attached

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 666772

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 18:50

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 18:50
An old departmental link was attached Mainey. ;)

Current Link: http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/yourvehicle/20161.asp

Hope that helps.

Andrew
FollowupID: 666775

Follow Up By: Member -Grundle (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 19:28

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 19:28
I received this info in the mail this week. i'd say mainey onto it

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 666778

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 19:45

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 19:45
Ross, I was in the Mandurah licensing centre yesterday and no stickers will be issued anymore.

cheers

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 666780

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 16:02

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 16:02
Thanks Mainey, at least when we see WA vehicles without stickers we wont get too upset.

Point 8 answers my interstate question! Now, to carry around your paid receipt would have to be a bigger pain if you travelled interstate regularly. I guess you could always insist they check the records after all if you've paid and there is no label then you're legal.

Hope that this applies to the third party insurance at the same time!

Great idea and hope it is contagious!

Kind regards
AnswerID: 397918

Follow Up By: OREJAP - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 18:34

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 18:34
The "onus" is on whom to prove that a vehicle is registered? Surely with today's technology the authorities Police etc.....can ascertain whether a vehicle is registered & if the Owner/driver is licensed!! If WA are not issuing rego stickers & no computer or Police radio check is available issue the driver with a ticket for unregistered vehicle & if the owner/driver can produce proof at a later date he/she should photo copy the receipt,attach it to the ticket & mail it to the issuing authority. The ticket will then be withdrawn. In the USA the driver of the vehicle is asked to produce licence & registration when intercepted.
FollowupID: 666769

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 19:04

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 19:04
I was a few Klms out in the bay fishing last week and a '(fisheries boat ?) come up and said " hello Mr M******* hows your day, we are out checking you have the correct survival gear on board "
They knew my name, when I got my 'skippers ticket' and everything about me, from the boat rego recorded on their database on board their boat, so it would be realistic to expect police cars to have similar information on a data base too.

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 666776

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 08:47

Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 08:47
G'day Mainey,

Now what would really have made that a great outcome was if the Fishery officer was to have concluded the check with " Thank you Mr Mainey we have noted our records that you carry the required safety gear and that your flares expire on 1/5/11 - we'll send you a reminder to update these a month before"

I know this is way too easy.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 666871

Reply By: Member - Tour Boy ( Bundy QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 16:25

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 16:25
Anna Bligh has said that it will be Australia wide within a year or two.
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 397926

Reply By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 18:27

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 18:27
Was it earlier last year that at Crows Nest NSW they had a Number Plate Recognition camera and I believe they caught 25000 unregistered vehicles in the first week. So one news station mentioned at the time.
I don't know what ever happened to it.

AnswerID: 397952

Follow Up By: DIO - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 18:48

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 18:48
SA has had number plate recognition interfaced into their Speed Cameras for a year or so. If you drive through a Speed Camera, at or below speed limit, your rego plate/number is automatically checked and if rego is expired you will receive a knock on the door. If you get pinched/photographed for speeding and your rego is expired - DOUBLE WHAMMY !!
FollowupID: 666774

Reply By: Ian & Sue - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 19:23

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 19:23
So now we have to carry our rego papers with us if we go interstate. A short time back they were telling us NOT to keep our registration papers in our vehicles incase the vehicle was stolen. So its all ok now. hmmmmm.....
AnswerID: 397959

Follow Up By: Member - John - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 19:34

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 19:34
Exactly, rego papers in car, car stolen, easy to resell.......... Bloody stupid thing for the Dept web site to advise..........
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 666779

Reply By: Ray - Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 09:27

Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 09:27
I would expect with today's modern techknowalegy that we shouldn't really need to carry our drivers license as that is on a computer as well and the police patrols can easily check if a person has one. But a drivers license with you picture on it is the next best thing to a national identity card.

BIG BROTHER HAS BEEN WATCHING YOU FOR SOME TIME NOW
AnswerID: 398037

Sponsored Links