How do I get topo Aus map into gps unit using sd card ?

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 16:25
ThreadID: 74940 Views:3687 Replies:3 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy all

I just bought the topo australia v2 map ( on sd card ) but nothing seems to happen when I place it into the unit ( garmin nuvi 255w ) What should I be doing ? Will I still get to keep the street map that came on the unit after the new map appears ?

All advice appreciated

Cheers

Outback Gazz
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rangiephil - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 16:32

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 16:32
On my Garmin 250 You go into "maps" and you will see the street map with a tick and you should see the Topo map there but wiithout a tick.

Reverse the ticks and away you go.
Regards Philip A

AnswerID: 397928

Follow Up By: Outback Gazz - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 16:43

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 16:43
G'day Philip

Thanks for the reply !

I unticked the street map and ticked the topo map, then when I went to
" view map '' the street map still came up !

What should I do now ?

Thanks

Gazz
FollowupID: 666749

Reply By: age - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 16:37

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 16:37
Gazz

From the first Nuvi screen press the following -

Tools>Settings>Map>Map Info - all your loaded maps can be selected or unselected here

Will be listed as Topo Australia v2

Garmin prioritise maps and your street maps will take priority of the topos, so unselect the street maps (Cn Aus). Your street maps are stored on the internal Nuvi memory and your topos on card so you will not destroy your street maps

Have a look at Doug and Dusty's website (regular contributor to this site) for more great Garmin GPS tips

I just bought a 255w as well in the Xmas sales as they were a bargain and punch above their weight for a base GPS and at that price I can dedicate one Nuvi to the boat and the other to the Landcruiser

Cheers

A

Cheers

A
AnswerID: 397930

Follow Up By: Outback Gazz - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 17:05

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 17:05
Thanks age

I think my problem is in Doug's reply followed by my reply to him !

Thanks for the reply

Gazz

FollowupID: 666752

Follow Up By: age - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 17:23

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 17:23
Gaz

Still should work - the maps will be unlocked and licenced to the SD card and can be legally used in any compatible Garmin unit. If they were not unlocked you would get a message just after power up that the maps are locked. You do not need to register maps with Garmin for them to work. I have purchased legit maps on SD card from JA (a Garmin dealer) etc and not registered them and they work in all my units - the unlock code is tied to the SD card in this instance. I cannot vouch for the maps you have purchased on ebay as to their legitimacy, but if you did not get the locked message at boot with the SD card in then they are unlocked to that SD card and should work. Whether your ebay seller was authorised to do this (I doubt it !!) is another story I wont comment further on....

If you are using this in the city when testing at the moment the Topo 2 maps are very similar to the CN Australia street maps and hard to distinguish which set is turned on as the base data used for both map sets is similar (Topo 2 is a routable map for some regions as is CN Australia - have a go at panning away from a city with your maps and see what difference it makes and then turning just the CN maps on and then just the Topo maps and see if you get contours etc with the Topos (pick a mountainous area or similar and you will be able to tell the Topos.

Cheers

A

FollowupID: 666755

Follow Up By: Outback Gazz - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 17:40

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 17:40
Thanks A

That's a great help ! I did not get a locked message so your tip will probably work when I'm a bit out of town.

If I could send you some beers thru the computer I would !!

Thanks again for your help

Gazz
FollowupID: 666758

Follow Up By: age - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 17:55

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 17:55
Gazz

No worries

You do not need to wait to you are out of town - just hit view map button at start screen and then pan the map by sliding your finger across the screen. Hit the minus button to scale out a bit so each finger slide travels a few kilometres.

With Cn Aust turned off and Topo turned on you should see some contour lines - if you do you are viewing the Topo map set - if not ?? well maybe the ebay seller has dudded you.

Cheers

A
FollowupID: 666760

Follow Up By: Outback Gazz - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 18:17

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 18:17
A

Picked up the contour lines out the front of my house so I'm guessing it works !

Thanks again !

The more time we spend on the computer means less time on the dirt !

Gazz
FollowupID: 666764

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 16:42

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 16:42
Gazz

1st thing .....have you connected the gps to the internet , and registered the Topo map to your gps unit , after you have done that then you will follow the hints from the other members posts .

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 397932

Follow Up By: Outback Gazz - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 17:00

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 17:00
Thanks Doug

I'm assuming that when you say to the internet you mean the Garmin Australia
site ?
I bought the sd card with map installed off ebay and I'm now guessing that if it's a copy I'm not going to be able to register the map to my gps ???

Cheers

Gazz
FollowupID: 666751

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 17:08

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 17:08
Gazz

Yes... I do mean Garmin website , and as for your second question, I think you will probably find thats the case , People have to realise that when buying Garmin map software it must be bought direct from Garmin so you get serial numbers etc, unless you buy from a friend or an EO member so you will get all the codes with the software,

Good luck .

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 666753

Follow Up By: obee1212 - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 21:13

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 21:13
when i bought my garmin topo from octa, i plugged it in no rego no numbers and it works on my garmin navigator and my hand held legend. The legend dont talk to me which may be a good thing.

owen
FollowupID: 666805

Sponsored Links