Disc Brake Machining On Vehicle

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 22:10
ThreadID: 74976 Views:6745 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Has any one had on car/4wd disc machining done before ?? I need to get the prado's front disc's machined as I have some brake shudder, Cost is $44 to take off myself and send to Better Brakes or $50 for a mobile bloke to come to my door. For $6 its not worth the hassle if doing on the vehicle will give me the same results. If I get it done by the mobile bloke he will fit the new Bendix pads as well that I have already purchased. What's anyone's opinion on this ?? Regards Steve M
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: kev.h - Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 22:20

Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 22:20
A guy comes and does our work vehicles on the car haven't had a problem yet up to about 60 sets so far as long as he knows what he's doing not a problem
Cheers Kev
AnswerID: 398171

Reply By: dbish - Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 22:22

Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 22:22
Hi Steve , If done properly on vehicle should be no problem, done heaps in the workshop (Ford dealership) In fact this was how Ford wanted them done. Certainly mutch easier for you. Cheers Daryl
AnswerID: 398172

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 06:14

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 06:14
G'day Steve. I am a Turner by trade but have worked as a Mechanic for 35 years. The only discs I machine on a vehicle are the "solid" type ones. eg, front or 4wheel drive where the disc is bolted to the hub. The on car machine takes quite a bit of time to set it up accurately. If you have a "hat" type rotor I think it is better to remove it, clean both the inside face and the hub face where they mate and then machine it off the vehicle.(You will be surprised how much rust can form on these faces) Either way it is machined it still relies on the operator setting the disc machine up "true" to get an accurate job done. The on car machine must have an adjustable head to allow this. Regards,Bob.

AnswerID: 398192

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 11:05

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 11:05
Hi Bob, yeah I have on the prado floating front rotors as Ive heard them been called. I was also wondering about that situation compared to the one piece type setup. Must admit I didnt realize that there could be a rust issue but makes sense now you have mentioned it. I was abit wary of doing the job myself due to the traction/stability/abs set up on the prado. But have been told when I push the pistons back to open bleader valve so that Im not putting any pressure on the system and chance of damageing it (3g's worth apparantly), and also when bleeding the system dont push the brake pedal down too far, just give it short pumps that way the pedal wont go any further then normal and chance stuffing any seals ?? I have done heap of pad changes before but not with all these gizmo's. Might ring the mobile bloke and ask a few more questions about the ""adjustable head"" your refering to and see what he says. He did tell me at the time when I asked him that he had done heaps of prado's ?? Didnt think they were all that bad with warping discs ?? Not knowing how the previous owner was on driving (some people extremely harsh on brakes) thought mine was only one of a few ?? Regards steve
FollowupID: 667115

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 09:44

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 09:44
Wherehegon,
I had mine done some time ago now, I was very happy with the service as I had to do nothing at all, as you say just make the phone call and let him do all the work for you, the guy who did mine had all the equipment required including an assortment of new disk pads.

Maîneÿ . . .
AnswerID: 398229

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 11:09

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 11:09
Hi Mainey, does your vehicle have floating front discs or the solid one piece type ?? Refer to reply above in forum as to my concern. Regards Steve
FollowupID: 667117

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 12:29

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 12:29
Wherehegon,
they are the old fashioned solid one piece type :-)

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 667135

Reply By: awill4x4 - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 19:00

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 19:00
If you have slotted front disc rotors like many have changed to they have to be removed and machined on a disc lathe.
Regards Andrew.
AnswerID: 398348

Sponsored Links