Dunsborough Lakes Caravan Park, Dunsborough WA

Submitted: Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 12:43
ThreadID: 74998 Views:12589 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Just returned from 9 days of hell after staying at this place as a supposed Family holiday - it's only fair that I warn fellow travellers who consider staying here:
Bookings and Deposits - they've got no idea, no computerised system, an antiquated 'card" system is used. Spent 3 months trying to confirm booking and get a receipt. Still had all the dates wrong when we rocked up!
Sites are not reserved or allocated as you book - you are put wherever!
No Eftpos or Credit Card Facilities - Cash or Cheque only.
Swimming Pool was full of Water Bugs - obviously not cleaned/chlorinated properly.
Our site was a grassless - me, the missus, the two kids, the van and all of our possessions were constantly coated in dust, very barren in most areas.
The Ablution blocks were a disgrace - always dirty, mouldy, showers wouldn't work properly, taps squealing and groaning due to worn washers, drains blocking and backing up.
Raw sewerage bubbling up and overflowing from the sullage drains - we had two days of a stinking mess (including toilet paper!) flowing out and above ground - had to be wary with the kids.
Lake down the back - no fencing or warnings, had to be on "kiddie alert" the whole time.
Overcharged on ice - small bag, 4 bucks!!
Grocery items for sale in the shop were out of code - some items were Coles branded meaning they had been purchased from Coles and then marked up again to sell!
Children's playground - an absolute danger and hazard - exposed nails on some swings.
Lots of complaints from campers all round - some families tenting were charged 57 bucks a night for a site with no water!
Hate to sound negative folks, want to warn families who save their hard earned pennies to spend on accommodation at Caravan Parks - STAY CLEAR OF THIS ONE!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alan John C (WA) - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 12:59

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 12:59
Chris if this bad why not contact the Dunsborough shire and ask for the health department and lodge a complaint someone needs to start somewhere who better than those that have experienced first hand.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 398264

Follow Up By: Member - mazcan - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 14:38

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 14:38
hi chriscoromal
the details of the conditions of the above caravan park needs to be thoroughly documented and signed by the complaintant and sent in duplicates to the shire health inspector
the caravan industry association of wa
and
the wa tourist industry
to air the facts on this site i know
will allow others to avoid the experience that you suffered and reduce the number going there

but it will do absolutely nothing towards the manager of the park been forced to adhere and bring the park up to the required health and expected caravan park industry standards

so i highly recommend that you take the above actions or it will remain the same my daughter stayed there a few years ago for two weeks in my van and at that stage they were still doing improvement and was well run
but the above says that its badly lacking in proper care and management
did you take any video or photos of the situation to back up and substantiate the above experience and did you ask to speak to the manager and make a complaint while there and or what was the result of this did you ask for a refund
document it all to above authorities

it's both disgusting and very dissapointing to hear that a c/pk is been run like this when there are so few to choose from now on the west coast
please take the required steps to have this situation turned around for everyones sake i personnelly would not hesitate if i had been you in that situation act now you can make a difference
cheers mazcan
FollowupID: 667163

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 16:18

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 16:18
Chris I work in Local Govt and Caravan Parks come under the control of the local authority's Environmental Health officers. They would love to hear about the conditions of the park, give Peter at the City of Bussleton's Health Services a call 08 9781 0444.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 667195

Reply By: Dasher Des - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 13:53

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 13:53
I have had the misfortune to stay at that park several years ago, but it was only overnight. Would be the worst caravan park that we have ever stayed in and it is firmly entrenched in our mind as a place never to stay in again.
Apart from being filthy dirty, the managers couln't give a stuff about complaints and were outrightly rude.
We wrote to the council regarding our complaints and never had the courtesy of a reply.
AnswerID: 398277

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 01:27

Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 01:27
Hi Chris and Des

In addition to the actions suggested by others here Chris, and which it appears did not work for your Des, you can put fair and honest reports on the following website. Des, did you follow up the fact that you never got a reply? I put a report in for every caravan park we stay at on our travels onto Badgers Caravan Park review site, be they good, bed or ugly. Fortunately our research has worked, and most have been very good.

Badger's Australian Caravan Park Reports

There is only one report on the park on this review site, from 2008, and it is fairly positive.

You could also write to the Tourism Committee for the town (the Shire should give you contacts) who should be alarmed, and perhaps the local Chamber of Commerce. It of course won't help you and your past experience, but it could improve the situation for the future.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 667324

Reply By: The Landy - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 16:44

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 16:44
Here is a thread from last year......

Thread 66443
AnswerID: 398309

Reply By: V64Runner - Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 01:13

Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 01:13
I too had the same experience as Dasher Des had, but ours wasnt quite so bad. We took one look at the shocking site we had been allocated, then went on an inspection of the ablution facilities. We, being my wife , young son and self ,took one look at each other and said NO WAY ! We turned around and drove straight out and stayed at a motel for two night before heading on. Contact the local authorities and get them to go and inspect the place. Personally I dont care much for Dunsborough and avoid gong there unless I absolutely have to - about once in two years or there abouts.
AnswerID: 398430

Sponsored Links