Trip around Oz-Prado overload

Hi, we (2 adults, 2 kids) have a 120 Prado, and are leaving in April for a trip for 5-6 months. We are taking a freedom tent which will be stored under a false floor, plus all the usual gear. I am not sure where to put the second spare. I have roof racks with a rhino basket, but was hoping to use that for a roof bag containing sleeping gear and clothes. No- we don't want to take a trailer. Any suggestions please?
Regards
Tim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Timbo - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 13:46

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 13:46
I'd recommend getting a full-length roof rack (ie. one-piece ARB rack rather than Rhino bars and separate basket) which should have enough space for plenty of sleeping gear and clothing for 4 as well as a spare tyre.

I carried a second spare without the rim and I just stored it inside the vehicle (on top of the jerries, just behind the cargo barrier which was just behind the front seats). I wasn't travelling with 2 kids though and you might struggle to fit a tyre inside the vehicle with everything else you'll need/want.

In my earlier days, we tied a tyre (again with no rim) to the bullbar but this wrecked the finish on the bullbar. You could possibly tie a tyre to the spare wheel already mounted on the rear door but you could have issues with the strength of the door, particularly over endless corrugations.
AnswerID: 398274

Reply By: Member - Teege (NSW) - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 14:40

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 14:40
Tim
The first question is, do you intend to do some serious off-roading? If not the second spare is really an unnecessary luxury. What does "all the usual gear" entail? Do you mean spares and recovery gear? Or are you talking about camping gear? Tables, chairs, mattresses, pillows etc. I can't imagine 4 people and all their gear, plus the necessary spares and recovery gear for a genuine lengthy off road trip fitting into and onto a Prado. I have a 90 series Prado and have to remove the second row of seats when the two of us are going on a lengthy off road trip. Even then I don't have room to carry a second spare. The roof basket has the tent, chairs, gas bottle and Jerry cans. BTW I only carry fuel in them when absolutely necessary, and empty them ASAP. Do you have a cargo barrier? I think they are a necessity. Not only for the safety that they give you, but also because you can stack and pack things against them right to roof height.I would suggest that you do a trial pack and see how much room you do have. Don't forget you will have to carry water and it is very bulky. And make sure that the cook puts in EVERYthing that she intends to take!!!
Good luck with it.

teege
AnswerID: 398289

Follow Up By: Member - Teege (NSW) - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 14:44

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 14:44
Tim
I forgot to mention, we don't go anywhere without our trusty gum boots.They are usually one of the last things packed so that they can be easily accessed. So too for the recovery gear.There is nothing worse than getting into a mud heap and having your gumbys and snatch strap packed away neatly under everything else.
teege
FollowupID: 667164

Follow Up By: andoland - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 17:25

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 17:25
We have a 90 series Prado, have 2 kids and can fit everything in for 3 weeks off road (desert, gulf, high country, etc) without a trailer and have room for a second spare if needed. They key is to have camping gear that packs away small - a lot of hiking gear is good for this - and we don't take stuff that we really don't need.
FollowupID: 667208

Follow Up By: StormyKnight - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 19:00

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 19:00
Ditto, except we have 4 kids....

When its just me & the kids (5) its not too bad. Experience makes you leave stuff behind that you'll never need or the is a smaller more compact alternative.

I recently did a 7 day trip to the High Country with the boys, the trick is to pack light (& then throwout another half :)

The bulkiest items are the 5 chairs/sleeping bags & pillows. The boys sit on their pillows & the chairs go in gaps above the wheel arches & the sleeping bags just get jammed in any spaces left.

The other thing I have is a foldup table that is the exact width of the rear of the Prado. It allows me to stack stuff up to the height of the seats, with soft stuff like clothes bags above that. It allows me to open the rear door without everything falling out!

Its a challenge for sure.
FollowupID: 667230

Follow Up By: Member - Teege (NSW) - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 20:00

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 20:00
andoland & stormy knight
The problem here is that the guy is going around Australia for 6 months. I wasn't talking about 2-3 weeks, I was talking about a lengthy trip. When you go for 2 -3 weeks you take what you need for where you are going. When you are travelling around Oz you have to have gear, clothes,bedding etc, to cover all climates and conditions. Our club is running a trip this year which will take us from the National 4wd get-to-gether on the Sunshine Coast through Western Qld, the SA desert tracks, The NT and the Kimberley, and then back home across the Simpson. Packing for that is a much more daunting prospect than packing for 2 or 3 weeks in the high country, or the gulf, or the desert. And I for one will not pack things above the height of the rear seat without a cargo barrier. And i don't carry any kids.

teege
FollowupID: 667254

Reply By: chisel - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 14:41

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 14:41
I would ask the question: are you really going to remote country where you will need the 2nd spare?
My guess is probably not. Depending on where you going, having 2 *unrepairable* flats might just be an inconvenience rather than life-threatening.
AnswerID: 398290

Follow Up By: George_M - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 16:53

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 16:53
The companion questions would be: what type of tyres do you have on the Prado now, and what condition are they in?

If you have AT/MT construction tyres in good condition, and a tyre plug kit that you know how to use, do you really need a second spare?

George
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 667205

Reply By: getmethehelloutahere - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 17:14

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 17:14
Thanks for the different views. We are intending to go to the Flinders, Birdsville, Innamincka, Gibb River Rd, and to as many bush camps as possible. It is possible we may go to Cape York but we would review our gear prior to that. We have brand new Bridgestone 694 LT. I had intended to take some basic recovery gear but no winch. The other thing I didn't mention we aint got a heap of money.
If we could get away without a spare that would be great- maybe the tyre plug kits a reasonable option.
Cheers
Tim
AnswerID: 398315

Follow Up By: StormyKnight - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 19:08

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 19:08
With regards to cape York when I last went (1992) we took too much stuff - mainly food. We found we only had one night which was bush camping, all the other nights where at a roadhouse or town of some sort (On the way up we went via Weipa)

The tracks can be very corrugated - weight is your worst enemy in this case. Oh & anything not properly constructed (welded) will likely fall off.

(BTW we had two punctures too but not from the main tracks...)

Cheers

FollowupID: 667234

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 10:36

Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 10:36
Tim

If the third row of seats in the Prado aren't needed I'd certainly remove them for the trip.

Bob
AnswerID: 398458

Reply By: Member - Tina D (VIC) - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 10:59

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 10:59
Hi Tim.

Congratulations for deciding to travel around Australia, it will be an awesome trip. you have got plenty of great advise from fellow forum members.

Just thought I would mention some trips that we have done so you can get an idea of what is possible and may help you decide how to travel.
we also had a false floor which was very useful.

We have done several 6 week trips with 2 adults and 3 kids in a Patrol with a full length roof rack and found that it worked well.

I know that this is not going as far as you went but we had to be pretty much self sufficient as we did plenty of bush camping, there small supermarkets in most towns so you can stock up on basic food items and other essentials.
Our first big trip in 2000 (6 weeks) was driving from Victoria to the Centre, Darwin and back down through outback QLD and NSW. 10,000kms

Next trip was in 2003 we drove to The Kimberley via Alice and the Tanami Track(never again) and went to Broome, cape leveque, around the Gibb, across to katherine and down south to home, also 10,000kms.

Enjoy your travels around Oz,
Cheers Tina

AnswerID: 398960

Follow Up By: getmethehelloutahere - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 18:25

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 18:25
Thanks Tina. I reckon a bigger rack would do the trick, but I am trying to avoid the $1000 or so. I can't wait to get out there with the kids, and enjoy the great outdoors.
Regards
Tim
FollowupID: 668004

Follow Up By: Member - Tina D (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 14:49

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 14:49
Thats fine Tim, they are expensive, you will have a great time in the great Aussie outdoors. Cheers Tina.
FollowupID: 668170

Sponsored Links