Insurance for travelling around

Submitted: Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 19:03
ThreadID: 7503 Views:1896 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
See below - as rather stuck with this one. Can anyone suggest anything else....? See history below....


Initial search request

Hi, I have searched the forum but nothing quite seems to help. Going around Oz for 12 months - so here is our scenario -

1) Packing up all our house things into an extremely "secured shed" out the back of our house and need insurance for this. Note - Will be renting out our house so will take our Landlord Insurance (building insurance) for this but that does not cover "shed contents". Has anyone done this and can you advise of a company that might look at this?

2) 4WD Insurance - have comprehensive insurance with RAA/NRMA - they have advised car is covered anywhere in Australia - even off road. Apparently need to notify them as to when leaving. Note - trade off it seems is that the excess is double if an actual off road accident occurs. Also have comp insurance with them for the outback camper van - same deal - but advised we are covered ANYWHERE in Australia.

3) But what about all the bits ala Solar Panel, GPS, Laptop, Camera etc - do I also need to take out travel insurance for this????

Gosh - it is pretty complex so any help form experienced "long time leavers of home" most appreciated....



Reply 1 of 1 posted 22 Sep 2003 at 20:03 - (AnswerID: 31700)
Member - Vince replied to the question

Contact TCIS Insurance brokers on 08.82787000 or
The company handles insurance for Aust National 4wd council & should be able to answer your questions.
I have cover with NRMA & there is no additional excess for off road accidents.Mu camper trailer is insured through TCIS & you can have automatic cover added for unlisted contents
Regards Vince

FollowUp 1 of 1 posted 29 Sep 2003 at 18:59 - (FollowupID: 23101)
FITZY posted this followup

Thanks for this. Contacted them - but unfortunately they do not cover anyone who is "on the road" for 12 months (4 month trip maximum). Probably should not have told them we were going to be on the road for 12 months - haha. Looks like there is no help in sight so will have to keep our fingers crossed we don't lose anything... scary.

Thanks for your helpful lead anyway.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lyds - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 20:18

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 20:18
With 3) you can take personal contents insurance, they just won't insure material/fabric items like tents.

You may want to also check what happens if your vehicle is stolen or written off and you decide to come home. Cheers,
- To err is human, to moo bovine -
AnswerID: 32348

Reply By: Willie - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 23:43

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 23:43

Life is too short to worry about insurance. Insure the house, and the 4by..well maybe...I don't... and for the rest don't bother. Chances are nothing will happen.

We were on the road for 5 years and did not bother with insurance mainly because our insurers gave us such a hassle. Then I saw the light and set the insurers free..and ourselves.

We did over 250,000km in that time. Got pulled up by the cops twice for nothing and no result. Had a couple of near misses especially on bridges with semi's...but a miss is as good as a mile. Spent 90% of the time camping in the outback and on the side of the road in bush camp sites with our 27 footer van.

Whatever you do.....DON'T Stress :-) Go and have a holiday !!! Enjoy......

Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 32362

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Sep 30, 2003 at 10:37

Tuesday, Sep 30, 2003 at 10:37

My sister burnt her house down many years ago. They didn't have contents insurance and it took them years and years to their estimate it took them 10-15 years to make up for lost ground. Do they have insurance these days??? Yep, wouldn't be without it. Similarly, friends recently had an accident and wrote their car off. Wasn't insured so now they'll spend the next 18 months making HP payments on a car they no longer have.

If it was me, I couldn't sleep at night, let alone go off on a "carefree" holiday.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
FollowupID: 23134

Follow Up By: Willie - Tuesday, Sep 30, 2003 at 11:12

Tuesday, Sep 30, 2003 at 11:12
Dear Melissa,

The moral of the story is...Insure your house and contents and don't buy anything on HP !! Above all try not to have an accident.

Yes, my house and contents, is insured. My commuting car is covered by Balance of Third Party with limited cover if I get poleaxed by someone else. The other vehicles are not insured. Its a personal choice.

I sleep very well at night...but then again, I live in a small country town and not in the Big Smoke where live could be stressful.


Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 23139

Follow Up By: Member- Rox - Tuesday, Sep 30, 2003 at 23:21

Tuesday, Sep 30, 2003 at 23:21
Look at my post today about accidents aprox $4000 up in smoke!!!!!
Ps not on HPHave 4WD will Explore
FollowupID: 23188

Reply By: Coops (Pilbara) - Tuesday, Sep 30, 2003 at 01:24

Tuesday, Sep 30, 2003 at 01:24
House is not insured if vacant for more than 60 days which makes it hard to go on a decent holidayCallawa Rd early October
AnswerID: 32364

Follow Up By: Member - Dzintra - Tuesday, Sep 30, 2003 at 12:28

Tuesday, Sep 30, 2003 at 12:28
I had a discussion about this with NRMA last Saturday - the person behind the counter assured me that a longer absence would not be an issue so long as the garden was kept tidy and someone was looking after the place - emptying the mail box etc. I hope this is true!!
FollowupID: 23151

Reply By: David N. - Tuesday, Sep 30, 2003 at 05:57

Tuesday, Sep 30, 2003 at 05:57
Not sure....
but wouldn't a "house sitter" solve that problem?
AnswerID: 32365

Reply By: Padraig - Tuesday, Sep 30, 2003 at 23:39

Tuesday, Sep 30, 2003 at 23:39
Some people are their own worst enemy....
AnswerID: 32443

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 00:34

Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 00:34
Couple of points.
I once had a long chat with the head of an insc co (on hols) and he said he personally only insured those things that would irriversably change his life if something happened like loss of a house, sued for massive damages etc. He never worried about the nick nack saying that in most cases if you take care it wont happen, that if you don't take care you will be negligent and they wont pay. There are so many exclusions that you have to look beyond what they say they will do.
Re the NRMA, I received our new roads service policy today and you ought to see the exclusions in there for where they wont provide service. I'm not going to bother rejoining. I'll save the money and just pay if I ever need to put my hand up.
Re your shed furniture, have you priced putting it into storage ?
Carpe Diem
AnswerID: 32446

Sponsored Links