Has fencing wire been replaced??

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 14:32
ThreadID: 75030 Views:4130 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Cleaning out to shift home I came across my camp oven with the 8 gauge fence wire handle....

I always carried plyers and expected a bush trip to involve using some thick fencing wire to sort out a problem. Of course I never wrecked a farmer's fence!

It just occured to me that I haven't had to use found wire for a long time. Zip ties, and a few extra spares usually cover problems. A bit of hay twine sometimes gets used.... well lots of the time.

On the same theme... I was demolishing a farm fence today and found a barbed wire that has ONE strand of wire only and SINGLE barbs welded at intervals. The barbs are one piece of wire forming a barb on each side of the wire... very strange.. It might be the start of a collection.

I have often seen interesing barbed wires as I hunt for the plain I need beside the road.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Damien L (Cairns) - Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 15:16

Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 15:16
G'day Royce, Interesting, also I wonder how many of us carry a length of 8g wire in the tool box or in the car
Damien
Love the bush

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 398496

Reply By: Ozrover - Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 15:37

Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 15:37
I always carry a couple of rolls of differing gauges of tie wire in the tool kit, used a piece the other day to tie a broken shockie out of the way on the work ute!

AnswerID: 398498

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 15:43

Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 15:43
Royce keep that barbed wire, there's people who collect and cherish the horrid stuff. I reckon a Google will turn them up and they would only be too happy to relieve you of some of it.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 398501

Reply By: Member - Kevin J (Sunshine Coa - Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 16:00

Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 16:00
Royce,

I can assure you that in certain parts of this country the use of wire - both plain and barbed - continues. On our trips west in the past three years I have 'walked' enough plain wire through steel pickets to ensure that there will always be a piece available for any repair that requires a cobb & co hitch and my hands can vouch for the sharpness of the current barbed wire. The crap quality being imported from China has to be worked with to believe how bad it is. I had a Chinese star picket actually bleep ter when we were driving it into hard country. Exploded.

Single barb to the top. Drive the pickets then run the 2, 4, 5 or 6 plains as required. First fenceline was 7kms with barb top and netting below but since then have done about 27 kms of varying styles. Australia should never fall apart with all the star pickets that have been put into the ground.

The museum at Miles in Queensland has a collection of barbed wire types like I have never seen. There must be 100 or more styles on display and the one you describe is there from memory.

2 pair of 10" fencing pliars ride in the box wherever I go together with several pieces of 10 or 12g of varying lengths ride with the tent poles. My Dad referred to them as 'spare spring hangers'

Kevin J
AnswerID: 398503

Reply By: Member - Allan B (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 16:25

Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 16:25
The Birdsville Working Museum also has a collection of barbed wire types.
I had no idea that there were so many different types.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 398510

Follow Up By: racinrob - Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 17:00

Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 17:00
Likewise the Pioneer Museum in Warwick, worth a look, they have some terrific donated collections there.
rob.
FollowupID: 667458

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 20:41

Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 20:41
Ah Royce. Fencing wire!!. My dad (a true bushy, born 1915 and on the land in NW Qld most of life) could do anything with it. He once built a garage for a truck with no nails or bolts - fencing wire only.

Many (many) years later, I never leave home without some. Even with my new 79 Series LC and Kedron Top Ender (we all move on eventually), I still carry a couple of metres. Amazing what you can do with it.

Thanks for the memories

Norm C
AnswerID: 398554

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 21:15

Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 21:15
I mentioned your post and the memories it invoked to my wife. She reminded me of a few of the things I have use fencing wire for in just the past 9 months or so during our travels:

To make a live bait keeper while fishing in NT (fencing wire, tie wire and gutter guard)

To make about a dozen hooks for our 'bush kitchen' in NT to hang multiple cooking utensils pots, pans etc

To make a hook for a garbage bag inside (yes inside) our Kedron van

To make hooks for tea towels and hand towels for our bush kitchen in NT.

No great rescue stories there (bush repair to broken leaf springs etc), but about 18 months ago, I used some to wire up the rubber boot on a UV joint on my previous Hilux to keep it in place till we got to civilization (3 weeks and 1,500 km of dirt). I had forgotten how much I still rely on the old fencing wire.

Norm C
FollowupID: 667509

Follow Up By: Member - Timbo - Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 21:12

Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 21:12
Sounds even better than gaffer tape! Tell me, where can us young city folk get a hold of a few little bits (ie. I don't want to buy a 10km roll of the stuff!)?
FollowupID: 667864

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 20:47

Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 20:47
G'day Royce

I always carry some tie wire along in my toolbox. Never know when you may need it :-)

We have a short length of barbed wire in our 'old stuff wall collection'. The wire seems to have three strands with sharp triangles sticking out as opposites every next one...if you get my drift :-)

Cheers
AnswerID: 398557

Reply By: Dr Hook - Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 12:20

Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 12:20
Royce;
You don't need to raid farmers' fences:

I always take 8 or 10 Dry Cleaners' Coathangers: they are galvanised; you can twist several together if you need thicker guage;
THey are useful for:-
- a wide variety of improvised camp accessories (mentioned in the post above);
- wiring up muffler/broken bumper bar;
- running repairs to trailer;
- CV boot repair (and other hose-clamp-type applications);
- replaces any plastic ties you have had to cut/remove;
- useful "mouse" (or pull-through) for chasing new wiring through difficult places;
- replacement car aerial (when some kind fellow snaps yours off!);
- improvised welding rod (OK for tack welds, at least)- (hold your breath, tho');
- wiring 3 batteries together to use as welder;
- repairing a fence, if you've had to cut it;
- fish carrier (string 'em through the gills and twist ends together);
and so on....

You can even use them for hanging up washing!

Dr Hook
AnswerID: 398805

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 12:38

Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 12:38
You must have different coat hangers from your dry cleaner! The ones I've attempted to use as wire snap very easily. A couple of twist and their gone. They're not galvinised either. Some of the older ones in my wardrobe are okay, but not the newer ones.
FollowupID: 667784

Sponsored Links