Tyre size for 1985 Viscount Areolite poptop

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 16:43
ThreadID: 75034 Views:3875 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks,
Does anyone know what the maximum tyre / rim size that can be put on a viscount areolite without making modifications to the the axle or guards?
I own a Pajero with a 4" lift and I have installed a Hayman reece hitch adjuster and the van now sits level but still sits a little low especially if im reversing the van on a non level site, it seems to drag the hitch chassis. Im just after a little more hightI think that a larger rim size will help. I am currently running 13"rims at the moment.
I understand that the higher the lift will also impact on the annex.

Thanks John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: disco driver - Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 18:00

Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 18:00
My Viscount Grand Tourer of the same vintage originally ran 185x14LT tyres.
I have changed to 195x14LT and can still get them off without fouling anything but only just.

I would think that the Aerolite would be much the same, and without modification to suspension and body/mudguards , 195x14 may be your limit.

The only way to be sure is to try alternative sixes on your van.

Hope this helps.

Disco.
AnswerID: 398522

Follow Up By: disco driver - Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 18:03

Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 18:03
OOPS, Big Fingers, Little keys:
"Sixes" should be read as "sizes"

Disco.
FollowupID: 667473

Reply By: BIG JOHNNY1964 - Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 18:59

Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 18:59
Thanks Disco,
Tried my trailer rims / tyres on the van and found a different style of axle (hollow with 3 rubbers in axle looks similar to 3 leaf clover??? . hubs sit on an arm. It looks like it can be adjusted but not sure will have to get someone to look at it to see if it can be adjusted. Found it hard to get the tyre off the hub as it was rubbing against wall of van. Had no problem fitting the 14" as it was low profile. Had big trouble fitting the 13" back on and had to deflate tyre to fit on hub????
AnswerID: 398532

Follow Up By: disco driver - Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 20:25

Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 20:25
Johnny,
I've come across that suspension type before, my old man had a similar suspension on a trailer he once owned.

AL-KO still make something similar, I checked their website to make sure.
Google ALKO Australia (Then look for Vehicle Technology. Products. Axle. Independent Rubber Suspension)
They look like your description of those fitted to your van.

AFAIK they are non-adjustable BUT I'm sure that by putting fabricated metal blocks drilled to suit between the caravan chassis and the axle mounting points you can lift the chassis off the axle by an inch or two. This may allow for larger rims and tyres on your van.

I don't know about the legality of such a modification so it's not a recommendation, just a suggestion for you to follow up on, if you wish.

Hope this helps too.

Disco.
FollowupID: 667495

Sponsored Links