Sunday History Photo / WA

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 04:24
ThreadID: 75047 Views:3556 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
As October looms, one by one, new tin horses appear in the pasture and stubble paddocks lining the road now known as the "Tin Horse Highway" on the way to the Jilakin Race Track. Horses are made from all sorts of materials, striking all manner of poses.
Months before the annual Kulin Bush Races, workshops are noisy not with the sound of farm machinery but with the construction of tin horses!
Image Could Not Be Found
The first one, a rather modest affair made from a few bits of old tin welded together, mysteriously appeared at the turn-off to the Jilakin race track in 1994, pointing the way to the annual Kulin Bush Races. It's a community event that transforms the normally somnolent town of Kulin, home to 400 people on a good day, into party central for the 4000 or so race fans that flock to the tiny town each October, kicking up their heels during three days with plenty of live entertainment, gymkhanas, fireworks and, of course, the bush race that stops a village.
Drive along the Tin Horse Highway and check out the quirky collection of tin horses lining the road out to the Jilakin Race Track. In the lead up to the annual Kulin Bush Races, Kulin locals strategically place their tin horse masterpieces in the paddocks lining the 12 kilometre stretch of road. This is now known as ‘The Tin Horse Highway’.
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
The horses are made to reflect a diverse range of themes, with inventive use of materials. This eclectic exhibition is a one of a kind and a credit to the creative spirit of the local community of Kulin.
It is well worth visiting Kulin to check out these unique works of art, and share in the local enthusiasm and small town community spirit.
"Going one better" seems to be the driving force in and around Kulin. By the time the next bush races came around, several of the local farmers had got in on the act, determined to prove their tin horse could be bigger and better than the others. It wasn't long before it was no longer good enough just to have one horse when four or five could do, with bigger and more elaborate props, such as full-sized police cars and decommissioned aircraft.
The largest is now more than 10 metres high with a body the size of your average caravan.
The friendly rivalry has grown into a fully fledged competition that attracts eight or nine new entrants each year, competing for a small pool of prizemoney and instant fame - at least around Kulin.
Made in secrecy behind closed doors and erected under the cover of darkness, new horses begin to appear in spring in the lead-up to the October races.
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
This is just a few of many to see, so if your over in the West touring there's many others to see and admire, and bring a big smile to your face.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 07:19

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 07:19
Good one Doug

Some people are very inventive with Modern Day Art. There is a similar display at Hyden, WA that I have seen.

A bloke has filled a paddock with Tin Men near Terowie SA. In fact there are many instances around the country where these forms of Art are on display and many would have seen the rather large display alongside the Oodnadatta Track between Marree and William Creek.

Cheers
AnswerID: 398593

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 09:47

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 09:47
Appears I have given a few of those old brain cells of yours a nudge.... lol...
Well done Doug.....
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 398610

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 12:23

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 12:23
You did actually, All the photo's are my own collection of the 40 photo's, I like the one below. You could just about take her out to a Texas Steak House.

Image Could Not Be Found
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 667586

Reply By: Wilk0 - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 12:20

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 12:20
As always Doug, you do yourself proud. Another ineresting Sunday history lesson.

Cheers Wilko
AnswerID: 398627

Reply By: Old Dave - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 15:09

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 15:09
Hi Doug

Another Great one.

We visit Kulin a lot when we want a day out,

We always take a drive down the highway to see if there is any new ones.

Regards Dave.
AnswerID: 398666

Sponsored Links