Moodini Bluff - rock cairn at top.

Submitted: Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 15:06
ThreadID: 75091 Views:4407 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Does anybody know anything about the history of the rock cairn at the top of Moodini Bluff (near Madura WA on north side of Eyre Hwy)? I drove up the bluff a week ago and found the cairn hidden by vegetation just off the track. The top of the bluff is a place that wouldn't get many vehicles passing by and I was intrigued and surprised to find the cairn up there.

I have a photo of it but don't know how to upload it - sorry.

Perhaps it has historic significance (dare I mention Edward John Eyre)??

I don't have any idea at all about the history of it and would love to hear from anyone who does. Or maybe someone can guide me to a website with details about various cairns, etc? Have tried to Google without success.

Rohan.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: equinox - Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 20:23

Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 20:23
Hi Rohan,

I'd like to see the photo. You might try emailing it to Exploroz, they may put it up for you.

I don't think it was Eyre (1841), he hugged the coast.

Image Could Not Be Found

Perhaps, it was John Forrest in 1870??

Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found

He certainly was right near the vicinity:

Image Could Not Be Found

Perhaps it was Gus Luck? He was in the area in 1888, surveying the route of the railway to cross the Nullarbor. In his book, "The Outback Trail" he describes how he passed the bluff, when he was almost dead from thirst.

I really don't know but hope you find the answer.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 398877

Reply By: Plasnart - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 09:00

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 09:00
Many thanks for your input Alan. Yes indeed it seems Forrest went through the area in question. I'll try to get a photo of the cairn posted up for you.

Are you able to tell me why rock cairns were erected anyway? Were they navigation marks?

I have read one explorer's account (sorry name escapes me at moment - central aust) where during a time of zero progress on the expedition, he instructed his party build a large cairn just to keep them occupied. You know, keep the men busy and it keeps up their morale/stops them fighting, etc.

Rohan.
AnswerID: 398943

Follow Up By: equinox - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 22:21

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 22:21
Rohan,

I think cairns are put up for a number of reasons. Navigation, surely yes - but also to leave a mark of some kind.

Here's a cairn I found on Mount Feldtmann last year. Perhaps put there by Frank Hann, not sure - check out the growth of the tree:

Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found

Here's another one on a hill near Mount Worsnop which I wrongly believed to be on Mount Allott for a number of years.

Image Could Not Be Found

Here's the real Mount Allott with a cairn on it.John Forrest did put a cairn on the mount in 1874 - is some of the original cairn right here??

Image Could Not Be Found

I've put a few cairns up too - when I'm on a significant hill or rise somewhere that has no cairn I will usually put one up. Why you ask? To mark the spot somewhat. The aboriginals did not put cairns up so it cannot be normal human nature. I would never claim to be the first white man at a hill somewhere, but the next person after me - there will be no doubt :)

Here's one I put up at Point Cornish in the Great Sandy Desert. It's not marked on maps so don't worry checking - and I forgot to take a GPS reading there so don't ask me where it is. East of Point Massie somewhere.

Here's another I put up at Nipper Pinnacle, there's a message in there somewhere.

Image Could Not Be Found

And another I put up last year at the rarely visited Wilson Cliffs, to mark the southern portion of the cliffs right above Carnegie's Rockhole, though I reckon I got a bit too greedy with that last rock :)

Image Could Not Be Found

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 668079

Reply By: Plasnart - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 08:24

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 08:24
Alan, I'm unable to PM you or post the pic of the cairn but if you email me I'll send you a copy of the pic (it's a big one, I think you'll like it).

rohans at gardner dot com dot au.

Perhaps you could post it on here for me?

Cheers, Rohan.
AnswerID: 399110

Reply By: equinox - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 20:22

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 20:22
As per Rohan's request, here are pictures of the cairn and area. Not a bad sized cairn the view of the Roe Plain is awesome...

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 399245

Sponsored Links