camp fires in summer

hi guys,
thanx for the info on my previous tread, now for the next question! i dont normally camp around this time of year so was wondering about having a small camp fire ( my young boys want one for cooking marsh mellows) we are heading to pineapple flat forecast looks good as be too hot! rather ask than regret later!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 09:28

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 09:28
There is no hard & fast rule on non fire ban days, other than the size of the fire, 1 meter in diameter, the length of the timber on the fire, also 1 metre & the clearing of flammable material around the fire site.

The only thing is plain old common sense & the ability to say NO to kids!
AnswerID: 398947

Reply By: Volvo driver - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 09:30

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 09:30
TFB today
National Parks are closed on catastrophic days now,
wouldn't be all that much firewood around PF anyway, you'd think.. busy place
is it worth it just for cooking marshmellows anyway, you could do that in your backyard
AnswerID: 398948

Reply By: Mike - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 09:32

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 09:32
There are in SA. NO fires in fire danger season without a permit.

Or you could teach your kids something responsible and don't have a campfire!

Happy trails, Mike.
AnswerID: 398949

Follow Up By: Honky - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 09:35

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 09:35
Better to use the fire wood than wait for a major fire that will kill everything in its path.

Honky
FollowupID: 667923

Follow Up By: Troppo Tom (Virginia, N.T.) - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 15:16

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 15:16
South Australia cut and paste from Country Fire Service

Can I light a fire without a permit?
WITHIN FIRE DANGER SEASON

In general the only fires which do not require a permit are fires used for cooking, personal comfort, fires in incinerators, gas fired appliances and gas or electric welding equipment provided they are lit in accordance with the regulations and council restrictions applying to their use.

ON A TOTAL FIRE BAN DAY

No.

FollowupID: 667966

Follow Up By: Mike - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 16:32

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 16:32
And those regulations are, from memory, Any fire must be completely in a 300mm deep pit. There must be an area of 4 metres around the fire that is cleared of combustable material. there must be a responsible person present at the fire at all times it is alight, equiped with suitable firefighting equipment.

The 4 m radiusmeans bare earth, ie no green grass and include above the fire. Älight means if there in any heat coming from it, ie even the coals.

Mate over the years, I have attended so many fires that have started from abandoned camp fires, that I ask you, please do not have a camp fire in fire danger season.

Happy trails, Mike.

BTW, I am not having a shot, in fact I applaud the fact that he asked the question.

FollowupID: 667970

Follow Up By: Mike - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 16:33

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 16:33
These are the rules in SA. Forgot to mention that.

Mike
FollowupID: 667971

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 17:29

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 17:29
I wonder if I can have a camp fire in the Tirari Desert? Yes I know the regulations. Will the pit still apply?

FollowupID: 667988

Reply By: archar - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 09:41

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 09:41
thanx, o'course common sense first! last thing i would want is a out of controll fire on our hands! i was just wondering if there was any rules/laws about it! will just play it by ear and see what its like up there!
AnswerID: 398951

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 11:48

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 11:48
Laws probably vary from State to State, but during the stipulated Fire Danger
Period, usually Oct to April in NSW, you can be fined a lot of $$ for lighting a fire
without a permit. In times of total fire ban the laws are even tougher. I would
not be leaving it to chance, find out what applies to your State...google will tell
you all you need to know......oldbaz.
AnswerID: 398963

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 12:13

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 12:13
In Victoria, it is permissable to light a 'cooking fire' during the proclaimed fire danger perios, subject to the parameters that I posted above.
Obviously, no fires or gas appliances alllowed in the bush on TFB days.
FollowupID: 667940

Reply By: Pete Jackman (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 12:53

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 12:53
The Department of Sparks and Embers rules for Vic are here:

Campfires

Cheers

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 398971

Reply By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 15:10

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 15:10
Hi Archar,
Obviously you have your head screwed on the right way... because you are asking!

For goodness sake people, don't crucify him for asking, he was unsure, and asked a question. Isn't that what we all do??

Dave
AnswerID: 398989

Reply By: Ozboc - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 20:59

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 20:59
Now living in a rural area - just down the road from a popular camping spot listed in ' 4wheel touring south east NSW"

where we have had about 10 mm rain in the past 2 months and today hit 45 deg - PLEASE DO NOT CAMP NEAR ME IF YOUR HAVING A FIRE

You will be putting my life and that of my family's life in danger -so you can have a cooked marsh mellow

fires are like 2 yr old near a pool -- you can not leave it for 1 min .... or things can go wrong ...

common sense , as other posters have said is not NOT have a fire at all ...

i am sure this advice will be ignored , but should be in the back of your mind if your fire does get away from you ....

Boc

AnswerID: 399046

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 21:20

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 21:20
You could end up like a farmer in NZ some years ago who didnt stub a butt

right out and burnt several thousand hectares.

He was a good guy and admitted he caused it but didnt like the bill for putting it out.

You could end up with an arson charge for lighting an illegal fire and it got away

We are in the Adelaide hills and in a TFB so I wouldnt even light the Cobb over the last few days.

Have fun with care

AnswerID: 399050

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 23:11

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 23:11
It isn't illegal in Victoria on non TFB days.
FollowupID: 668087

Reply By: Member - Flynnie (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 23:26

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 23:26
Why not leave the marsh mellows to a cooler or wetter time of year and find a different way of amusing the kids?

Apart from the illegality of a campfire according to other posts it is unwise.

Surely we should be guided by wisdom and common sense as well as law and it is a no go to have a camp fire on high fire risk days.

"I could understand people getting very upset with someone lighting a campfire on a high fire risk day." As first written it is open to misinterpretation.

Flynnie
AnswerID: 399077

Reply By: archar - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 00:09

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 00:09
this was only a question, i wouldnt even think about starting fire if there was any risk of a fire, they had a fair bit of rain in the area a few weeks ago, and was just wonder what the general feeling was! we have neva had a fire in summer as most of the time it has been to dry, but i have seen alot of people who do.
but no fire for me i think!!!!!!
AnswerID: 399084

Follow Up By: Member - Flynnie (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 00:34

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 00:34
Sorry archar

I thought my last line was a bit too strongly worded when I re read it and I had asked the moderators to edit it before your reply. Not quickly enough.

Apologies for the poor wording.

Hopefully it will soon be edited to something like "I can understand people being upset".

Flynnie
FollowupID: 668093

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 00:56

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 00:56
Hi Archar

I don't know if the other states are similar, but in WA most rural Shires have total fire ban periods, such a from a date in November through to Autumn. In times of a late Autumn season break, the ban will be extended. This includes all camp fires.

When camping in the Kimberley year before last, someone in a park camp lit a campfire to cook lunch on a windy day. We all spent the afternoon bucketing water from the river and using that and towels to fight the bushfire. One young couple from Germany were really panicking as their camper had broken down and they could not move it; the young lady only had one tiny bucket, but it too took its place in the bucket relay. At the start, i never imagined we would stop this fast spreading fire on such a hot and windy day.

I know a lot of people here say it isn't camping without a camp fire, but we always cook on gas. Being on a farm, we have seen too many bushfires, and some of these have been caused by campfires - lit by people who didn't understand.

Motherhen

Living in a Shire where you would probably get lynched if you lit a fire in summer.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 399090

Sponsored Links