any ford fans out there your days might be numbered

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 18:08
ThreadID: 75132 Views:3778 Replies:5 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Gentleman

Read this today

The future of the all-Australian Ford Falcon is in doubt after the company's chief outlined the carmaker's plans on the eve of the Detroit motor show.

Ford chief executive Alan Mulally announced that only one large car platform would be built for all world markets under the company's One Ford program.

"The best thing for Ford is to bring our scale and volume [to the market]," Mr Mulally said.

"[Car-makers] who make one vehicle, a different vehicle for one country, I think those days are gone, because you can't compete with the global companies, and Ford's going to be a powerhouse globally."

Ford Australia president Marin Burela says Ford Australia will still be a very important part of the global motor company despite the plans to put an end to the Falcon, which marks 50 years on Australian roads this year.

"Three months ago I discussed the future directions of the Falcon in Australia with [Ford chief] Alan Mulally, and there is no doubt the Ford company is now considering its future operations of the replacement vehicle of the Falcon - a decision not required for 12 to 18 months," he told ABC NewsRadio.

"And there is opportunity there for the Australian Government and the Australian motor industry to work with the global leadership of Ford about the future directions of the model replacement for Falcon.

"And I'm absolutely confident that the Australian auto industry, having gone through the worst crisis in three generations and remaining pretty much intact, will continue to play a vital part in Australia's future."

Falcon replacement

The likely successor for an Australian designed and engineered Falcon is a car based on the American Ford Taurus, which unlike the Falcon is a front-wheel drive car.

The Taurus was imported to Australia in the late 1990s with little success.

Mr Mulally would not say if Ford Australia would play a leading role in developing the large car platform, or whether a local version of the global car would be built in Australia.

The Ford Falcon was introduced to Australia in 1960.

The car has been the mainstay of Ford's Australian manufacturing operations.

Ford Australia employs about 4,700 people at its Victorian plants, 2,300 of whom were factory floor workers and 2,400 in areas such as engineering, administration, marketing and product design.

Panels and engines for the Falcon and its Territory wagon variant produced at Geelong, with assembly housed at Campbellfield, in Melbourne's north.

Falcon was the fifth-highest selling car in Australia in 2009, with 31,023 sales compared with 44,387 sales for the top-selling Holden Commodore.

Flagging sales because of higher fuel prices have hurt the Falcon and the Australian large car sector in recent years.

Glenn...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wamuranman - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 18:17

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 18:17
If the Falcon replacement is Front Wheel Drive it will fail. Australians simply do not buy (in volume) large FWD cars.
Cheers
AnswerID: 399020

Follow Up By: Skippy In The GU - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 22:10

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 22:10
The Yankie Cadillac is FWD and has been still the late 80's i think
FollowupID: 668077

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 18:19

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 18:19
Bit sad but a taste of things to come me thinks??

Its surprised me that the Aussie car industry has survived as long as it has.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 399021

Follow Up By: Member - Scoot (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 18:30

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 18:30
That going to make V8 super cars a bit boring.

Scoot . :-)
FollowupID: 668005

Follow Up By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 18:52

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 18:52
Gee,
does that mean I should have kept my XY Falcon and it would be worth more now...???... lol...
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 668013

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 19:24

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 19:24
Hey Fred, If I would of kept my XC & XW V8's I wouldn't be able to afford the fuel these days for them, the way I use to drive them LOL
Anyway, the XW paid for our deposit on our house, I think it's appreciated in value more than the old girls would of :)
Oh well. A sad day :(

FollowupID: 668021

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 20:11

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 20:11
Can't see why it will make V8 superccar any more boring.

Lets see...

150mm shorter then a road going vehicle.
Suspension that is nothing like the road going vehicle.
Diff and trans that can not be fitted to a road going vehicle with out hugh mods.
A 305 cubic inch engine that is not in no production car.
Steering that is off centre.
Tubbed wheel wells.

The so called Commodore and Fords run the same brakes, diff, gearbox and suspension design.

Only thing different is the engine make and the Ford and Holden signage....thats boring.

You have to buy your place on the grid to even start.

Sooner they scrap V* supercars the better.
FollowupID: 668032

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 20:26

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 20:26
Very True Olcoolone,..... The bloody chassis are the same, just bolt a ford or holden look a like front and rear bumper on !!...Not many relize this.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 668040

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 20:55

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 20:55
Not new anyway Read an article on chassis building for Nascar.

Two cars same chassis which make body would you like us to put on it sir.

Now its 3 with Toyotas in the mix as well.

FollowupID: 668052

Reply By: Member - Axle - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 19:30

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 19:30
Then they will have to really try and compete with Toyota!!, who have a head start with building large frontwheel drive cars for this country, Not without sales problems though!, so how is ford ever going to think sales will improve?, .....Would make you laugh if Toyo went to large rear wheel drive, after ford introduce their FWD,...lol.

Cheers Axle.
AnswerID: 399024

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 02:06

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 02:06
Did the Ferd guy mention HOLDEN (not ferd) have won the most local built cars sold each year, for the last 14 years ?
The writings been on the wall for a while, if people don't buy the product you have to economise and do something different and also cheaper too.
Even the two fastest ferd V8 supercar drivers will now drive a HOLDEN.
( you guessed it I'm not a ferd fan - Go Holden )

Maîneÿ . . .
AnswerID: 399093

Follow Up By: landed eagle - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 08:27

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 08:27
Hope
Our
Luck
Doesn't
End
Now.

V8 Supercars......boring. They can hardly swap paint these days without it turning into a massive lose and carnage. Bring back the good old days of group C plus various makes,classes etc for Bathurst. Made the day interesting to watch. I only watch the start + 30 mins and the last 30 mins of Bathurst these days. Used to be an all day event.
FollowupID: 668115

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 09:02

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 09:02
Found
On
Rubbish
Dump

Yes, it was better when the Nissans were competing with the V8's

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 668119

Follow Up By: landed eagle - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 15:46

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 15:46
First or fast
On
Race
Day.

Bring back the Nissans and the V12 Jags, Cosworth motors in Sierras etc. More's the point,bring back cars that can take a bit of damage without being retired after touching another competitors wing mirror.
Wonder if anyone has considered track racing cruisers,pajeros and patrols? Now that would be entertaining racing!! Not fast necessarily but fun to watch.
FollowupID: 668177

Follow Up By: Member - Christopher P (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 20:44

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 20:44
Never have i seen anything as boring as the Holdentogethercrap and fomoco racing around a track. i remeber bathurst with the cosworths, rx8, good old nissan skyline, bmw's, volvo's and mini's.

they were fun to watch. Dick johnson writing his green ford off o\just over the top, and getting another ford that night to rebuild before he could race again.

No fun now!!!!
FollowupID: 668225

Reply By: dieseltojo - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 18:07

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 18:07
I am not a fan of Ford or Holden,but have currently a BF ute 2 years old.The seat belts wont retract,you know whose fault it is?Mine because I don't clean them often enough!
The last car I had that the belts wouldn't retract was on a 1957 FE Holden.

And there is rust appearing from under the hinges of the tail gate,this despite the fact that the vehicle is always garaged. The rear tray on these Utes has been made for the last 10 years,it is on every model for ages,but still they haven't worked out how to put them together with a proper under coat to prevent insidious rust.
AnswerID: 399403

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 18:33

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 18:33
Now you may realise why Holden has out-sold Ferd for the last 14 years in a row :)

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 668373

Sponsored Links